Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Delivery Timescales

Options
  • 07-02-2023 5:25pm
    Administrators Posts: 357 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: Thinking of buying a PHEV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

At what point did I say that suggesting a €44k car was not a good idea? In fact, as I previously wrote

"OP said 40k was his budget. Now he is being advised to buy an EV for €44k which is higher than budget but possibly still within reach"

So I am not sure why you are seeing something wrong with what I said. Is there anything I am missing here???

However saying that one car will be delivered quicker than any other brand because you know there are orders being cancelled more than others or whatever reason is absolutely leading someone on. Do you work for Tesla? Or VW or Kia or have you access to official information about the delivery or cancellations of any ICE or PHEV even for any brand more than someone like me who knows nothing? If so then I will retract that statement in a heartbeat. If not then you and some others here are leading down the garden path

And ofc nobody knows about the grant. But failing to mention it while casually saying the car will be delivered before July only adds to the misleading.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's not leading anybody on to make claims based on the last couple of years that certain brands are more likely to make timely deliveries than others. We've seen long timelines from all the major manufacturers VW Group, Hyundai/Kia, MG etc, we've also seen posters on the Tesla delivery thread indicating that they ordered on the 13th of January and have been assigned a VIN.

The only way to guarantee a speedy delivery is to order a vehicle that's in-stock and sitting on a forecourt (or an inventory vehicle in Tesla parlance). It's the nature of a supply constrained market, and something that most of us would be familiar with having been in this space for the last few years.

Ghost was making claims to know about Tesla cancellations. And are you saying Tesla hasn’t had long time deliveries in the past???

Edit: we’ve also seen another poster say that orders are being taken for a different brand which delivers in Feb also. That kinda goes against the “Tesla will deliver ahead of anybody else” narrative. Ofc not true for all/most brands. But let’s keep a level playing pitch here no?

Edit 2: There are also people who have been told if they order a Tesla they won’t get delivered before September

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Certainly they have in the past, but they seem to have turned it around recently, hopefully it stays that way and others catch up. There is no requirement on a single poster to keep a level playing field here, if that's the opinion of a poster they are free to post it. If you have experience of other brands having significantly improved their timelines then add that to the discussion, but don't doggedly attack a poster in a quest to seek balance. Add to the conversation like the other poster did instead of seeking to police the posts you disagree with.

So its totally ok for someone to say that one company will deliver ahead of others when it has been proven to be, in fact, false?

All this in replying to me who is saying everything should be judged considering all facts, including the known and the unknown knowns?

• Advertisement

Ì don't think that is provably false. There certainly hasn't been any posts on this thread that would indicate other brands are able to take an order today and ship from the factory to you in the next couple of weeks.

So somebody just says they think Tesla will ship quicker

A different poster says that a different manufacturer is taking orders for delivery later this month

One is deemed ok. No delivery taken as of today tho

The other needs evidence to be not provably false

Edit: If anything is said about Tesla in comparison to other brands in this forum it is viciously barked down and supported by the mods. A level playing isn’t too much to ask for

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tesla will deliver ahead of any other manufacturer at the moment.

BMW i4 have no more deliveries for new customers.

eNiro same.

Polestar Similar to Tesla.

MG sold out.

Hyundai i5 sold out until Q3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

How about you stop misrepresenting what others are saying? I pointed to likelihood of Tesla delivery. I did not say they would deliver first. I had a longer response, but it got lost in the thread split. Suffice to say you are wrong about most of what you have said.

Stay Free

There's a big difference between Tesla taking factory orders and apparently shipping within the next few weeks, and a given Cupra garage having some stock of pre-ordered configurations for delivery in February. This is not a court of law a poster does not need to be corrected based on at least one brand having a car available before the other.

Tesla being more likely to fulfil short notice orders right now does not preclude other brands also being able to do the same, but as a general recommendation right now it's reasonable to point people that direction.

What I will shoot down as mod on this forum is apparent anti-brand trolling, I don't care whether it's Tesla, VW, or a Chinese new entrant like Ora. If you don't like a given brand that is fine, but don't attack posters who are positive about them. All car purchases are subjective, they are combination of a functional device and fashion, as such they are subjective to both the stylistic whims of the purchaser and the particular functional requirements.

My ownership bias applies to the ultimate EV and the one true car, my BRG MINI Cooper SE, anything else is just too big and a waste of batteries 😉, I used to think the same about my e-Up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭eagerv

I have a feeling that many EV manufacturers will magically have extra supply of cars now that Tesla have cut prices so aggressively. However the problem will be to get them to drop their prices.

Just a feeling, may be totally wrong, will not happen overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Looks like you can 'Drive Away Today' if you want a Fiat 500, if you believe the advertising, that is.

https://www.facebook.com/FiatIreland/posts/pfbid022Tjdq8A5AWMnVKMmztAEvmkNWQX6AexuSxhiPR4HsWFQtxMoYb8y6cYiPQZMiW4rl

Advertisement