Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2023 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Its only trajectory, very little between No 3 and the No 10 spot, I think it will hold its position in the top 10 till they stop selling them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's a 26.62% drop in sales. With BeepBeep you need to set the month filter otherwise it compares Jan-Feb 2023 vs Jan-March 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Did they stop taking orders on Leafs around August last year? I seem to remember there was some talk about that

If so then the drop in sales was down to lack of availability than demand

Quite likely that Nissan is starting to shift resources over to the more profitable Ariya

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I agree, I know it gets a lot of flak for being outdated technology (and let's be honest, it is pretty dated) but it's got the right combination of relative affordability, decent enough range to do 95% of your driving on a single charge, and has good availability

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭innrain

There are more i4s than Leafs registered this year.

The Leaf's market share for the last 4 years. Seems to halve YoY so 2.5% or less at the end of 2023? Considering there will be 3 and Y coming in top 10 close to the bottom, I'm guessing the Leaf will loose top10 by the end of the year but not by much.

id.3 surprisingly low in number even though VW said they have sold all the manufacturing capacity for 2023 it does not reflect to Irish numbers. ID.4 is the best sold VW product, while Hyundai sold more electrics than petrols but much less than diesels. Skoda is the brand with the most diesels registered this year. I think it is the first time when petrol HEVs are loosing market share but probably is too early in the year to start the party especially when there is a big jump in diesel HEVs.

Well if there's more cars on the market and your sales are static then you lose market share

Gets even worse when sales go down like the Leaf, but I still think it's got some life left

I think VW weren't taking orders for the facelift ID.3 which starts production around August. So 2023 production is really 8 months worth

Don't quote me on that though, I might have my wires crossed 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

After all the hype, surprising to see the Tesla Model Y 'only' had 479 registrations in Q1 (admittedly pretty much all in the last two weeks, but what happened to the 800 that was mentioned?), and beaten to the EV Q1 crown by the ID4.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The 800 weren't all model Y's - lots of Model 3's sold too.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭innrain

3,421 new EVs registered last month representing 19.35% of the total (1 in 5). Overall 231 EVs 9,303 or 16% market share.

top 10 brands March 2023

Top 10 models March 2023

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

190 Model 3s. Makes a total of 678 teslas registered this year.

Electric is up 49% for the first 3 months of the year compared to last year.

Big winners are VW up 134%, BMW and Skoda up 320% although from a low base last Jan to Mar. Good showing from Volvo and Renault too up more than 100% from last year.

Tesla is pretty much flat up 2% compared to the first 3 months last year. This is disappointing and represents a decrease in EV market share from 10.5% to 7.3% compared with the first 3months of 2022.

Kias EV sales are down 24% to 760 and Nissan continues to see the decline in sales as Leaf sales fall off a cliff down 44%.

Irelands love of VWs continues.

How did you get that info before anyone else?

A lot of hype yes, same people posting in 5 different threads, sales of the 3 were hampered by the Y, the test will be the rest of the year, monthly figures are not be all and end all, the bz4 and leaf sold more this year than the 3, its the next 8 months that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I agree with this. I was looking for an EV in November 22 at the end of my PCP. Nothing was available new or used so I bought another ICE. The EV market completely opened up in the first half of this year so in the last 4 months I've bought an ICE car, sold it, and bought an EV in March.

I don't think there is much of a supply issue with VW like a lot of people are suggesting. I think people are just looking at the ID3 and ID4 now and weighing it up against their competitors. Every family in Ireland seems to be buying a Hyundai Ioniq 5 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The ID3 is getting a facelift so no deliveries for a while.

the sales dont support your ioniq 5 observation. Judging by the amount of new Tesla chargers on my road there’s still lots of people waiting for a M3 or MY

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The YTD electric figures are a bit of an anti-climax in terms of Tesla. Tesla delivered 678, almost identical to Q1 2022 so no real ramp up/improvement.

There is all the hype and rollercoaster threads on here about Tesla deliveries and price drops etc... I was expecting a 4 digit number, yet VW delivered 3 times as many ID.4's with no fuss. Lots of other OEM's delivering similar and higher numbers as Tesla (Hyundai doing well)

I do wonder about Tesla's ability to scale up the numbers here. A couple of staff in Dublin just doesn't cut it. Maybe if/when they get the Cork office up and running they will start to compete.

As one poster here somewhere said "we love VW" or similar, I think you could stick in any brand name, the leaf or the Bz4 are not the best but they are not American or a new entrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭breeno

The views of Tesla on here can be a bit cult like and don't always reflect the views of Joe public. Some people are wary of build quality issues. Some people are wary of the giant screen controlling most things and being a bit distracting. Even Elon plays a part. One of my best mates cancelled an order for Elon related reasons and went VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

Ioniq 5 stock is again a huge problem. Huge dump of stock in Q1 and that it with no more new orders again until 2024. Exact same scenario as last year.

VW have the dealer network & the stock to dominate the EV market here.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭mun1

Firstly , yes i have bought and collected a tesla MY LR in last few weeks for an excellent price. (Before the current fiasco regarding the “flash sale” which tesla are not honouring).

on the Q1 figures, don't forget Tesla will get another big bump in September with similar if not better sales as they only currently do end of Q1 and end of Q3 deliveries to ROI.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I wonder if the Jan price drop was just too late for cars to be shipped for March deliveries. We're looking at 50% growth in overall EV sales compared to the same time last year, it looks like it's currently the Germans driving most of that growth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭KCross

don't forget Tesla will get another big bump in September

But there was no big bump in sales in Q1, that's what I'm saying. If they "just" deliver another boat load in Q3 they are not really putting much pressure on the incumbents. This is why I think the rest are not dropping their prices. They can afford to hold their prices because they know Tesla cannot deliver volume and seriously affect their sales.

As liamog mentioned, maybe the price drop hasn't really filtered in yet. Maybe we will see something in Q2 but I still have my doubts about Tesla's ability to ramp up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

That sure was a lot of Tesla hype for those numbers

They will have to deliver a jaw dropping number of cars in their only other shipment <<mod note: snipped, do not refer to groups of poster using derogatory terms>>

Will wait and see

What I'm reading from this is that no matter what effect the price drop is having on Tesla sales it hasn't stolen any sales from the competition

Taking VAG cars in particular, they've doubled sales on basically every model they have, not just the ID.3/4

That's not to say some folks have changed their order from another car to a Tesla, but there's enough demand there that those other EVs are still getting sold

I agree that I would have expected a bigger bump in sales from Tesla. Maybe the price drop hasn't filtered through yet, maybe it didn't create the flood of sales that some people were expecting

We'll just have to reconvene next January to see what the end result was 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Most people finance new car purchases and VW are streets ahead on that regard with 3.9% offers on ID4 and high GMFV. When you do the maths vs other competitors it bumps them way up as well as Tesla not doing proper trade ins which is an issue for a lot of people also and most again have to trade in their existing asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

You're paying interest on that "high GMFV" from day one. 3.9% was for March only too AFAIK, I think it's 6.9% to 7.5% now depending on spec. The constant VW price increases, artificially high trade ins offered to pump up used prices and the higher interest rates will either start to reduce their sales here or they will react in time and do something like a price cut but they can't keep sustaining this model they've had since the chip shortages idefinitely. Something has to give, too much competition entering the market now.

Worth saying that the 3.9% offer was at the end of Q1 to get rid of stock

VW probably didn't make a huge profit on those since they'd be borrowing the money at 2.5% interest at a minimum, so it's not likely they'll continue to offer it

It does make you think about whether the whole car finance industry is going to be profitable for much longer. If ECB interest rates are probably going to be around 4% for the foreseeable future then not many cars are going to be affordable with 10% interest

Car companies will either have to accept fewer sales on finance, which probably means fewer sales overall, or reduce the markup on interest rates

• Registered Users Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭creedp

Today is only the 3rd April so a bit premature to be talking about the 1st half of the year. Other than the ID3 and 4 what other VW EV models are widely available at present. Possibly the ID5 will become widely available later in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Don’t Tesla still have a sh1t ton of cars to deliver in April?

• Advertisement

Skoda Enyaq, Cupra Born, Audi Q4 E-tron are all VW group cars based on the MEB platform

Advertisement