Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl LVII Thread - Chiefs v Eagles

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭dmakc

You're clutching big time talking about a 3 second play with 10 minutes left in a tied game. Offenses don't even care what time they snap the ball in that scenario.

Also even by Phili's own admission it was holding. Case closed. Being at a pivotal stage of the game is irrelevant, thankfully the referees didn't pander to those wishing for a Hollywood ending. For all we know Mahomes saw the hold as it happened and threw that direction cognizant of the fact, he got up looking for a flag straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mahomes threw the ball away. There was an admission that he did grab him but hoped he'd get away with it because it wasn't egregious. As I said it didn't stop the player or affect the play in any way. Those are let go at least 90% of the time. If they called things like that all day everyday a game would last five hours.

As for your first paragraph, that couple of seconds could matter come the end of a tight game where a TD is needed. It might mean one more play.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I love this sort of stuff, and the play was apparently called "corn dog" (Mecole Hardman tweeted the name when it happened).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

But that's probably because the cup is being handed to the owner instead of to Mahomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It absolutely did impact the play - he clearly tugged him twice and you can even see his position improve when he does it the first time, not only dragging Juju back but also moving himself forward. He was completely on an island and if JuJu got by him it was a touchdown.

I also don't remember this 'don't call penalties at the end of championship games if they don't impact the play' energy in certain other very similar situations...

• Advertisement

Well you are seeing something completely different to me as regards Juju and Bradberry. There contact which is allowed and that slows him down but there's no affect from the very minor short pull.

As regards the second one, and it's unreal how you always come up with something to do with Brady who you clearly hate, do you not think Brady knew he had a free play?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

very angry at the end there for some reason. 'people', as I referred to in that paragraph, is not you personally. if you don't personally think they get favourable calls, fine, but that is the new narrative amongst many football fans.

the grab was a grab. the defender said it himself. that is case closed for me. he took the risk that it wouldn't be called, but there was every chance it could be called. the fact it was the last 2 minutes is meaningless as to whether it's a penalty.

It's rarely called is the issue, nothing to do with when it was called. Football fans want consistency and that's the issue here.

The issue those who don't watch the game much is that it ended the game. Then sports stars like LeBron James, Kevin Durant et al take the most popular side of things and really set it off.

Even the video put up by Foxtrol shows there was nothing in the hold. There is contact which is allowed but the slight grab doesn't stop the receiver at all. It's hardly ever called.

Calling that is not as bad as the non-calls in the 2018 NFC championship game but it's not good either.

The officials were inconsistent throughout from letting things go like grabs and holding at the line, which favoured the Chiefs more than the Eagles but both got away with things, to ridiculous calls on catches which definitely favoured the Eagles. I agree about the Sanders catch but I disagree with both the Smith and Goedart plays. Maybe they had an angle we didn't get to see on the Smith play and if so that's fair enough but the Goedart one was definitely not a catch.

In the first quarter there's a hold on Dallas Goedart on a 3rd and 5 and no call in a very similar position as in not far down the field and on the same side as the JuJu call. On that play Smith made a catch for a first down and the defender lowered his helmet and hit Smith in the head to get him out of bounds and no call there either. A play later theres a hold on Smith but no call there either.

I could go on and on and not just on the Eagles getting held but the Chiefs too and far more egregious ones than what was called on the Bradberry Vs JuJu play.

The lack of consistency is the big issue here. And how you call something minor like that and not call similar and more clear cut ones is just beyond belief.

You say that comment about the Chiefs getting favourable calls wasn't directed at me but it seemed very clear it was.

There was nothing there to suggest you were talking about other people.

'but the idea that the Chiefs keep getting favourable calls over everyone else is gas.'

That to me seems directed at one person and that person was me and yes I was angry about that.

Lots of things seem to be ignored in posts. I said the call was a bad call on the hold but also said I didn't believe the Eagles would have succeeded in getting the tie or win if it wasn't called. I think it was a terrible way for the game to end, because of inconsistent officiating, but I never said the Chiefs would not have won. It's the way they ended up winning that's the issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The Eagles D didn't show up. I read where there were 5 QB pressures, and no sacks, for the entire game. Eagles usually did that in a quarter.

That last play/penalty discussion is interesting but shouldn't have mattered. The Chiefs absolutely won the game.

It has nothing to do with Brady, purely to again highlight hypocrisy depending on which team was involved.

Ford breaking the rules didn't affect the play therefore by your own logic the refs shouldnt have thrown a flag late in a championship game.

Both penalties were rightfully given, as they should have been in other SB games. The bigger issue is randomly 'letting them play' in certain circumstances in the playoffs.

• Advertisement

Eagles defense bullied poor QBs and teams during the rest of the season so it wasn't surprising they struggled with an increase in competition (even if the QB still wasn't 100%).

If the Chiefs defense had played marginally better in the first half it could have been a blow out to them.

If the Eagles offense had played marginally better in the second half it could have been a blowout to them. Do you see what I did there?

I don't get your point at all. They are completely different situations. Brady knew he had a free play so takes the risk like almost all QBs do. It's not the same at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The latest New Heights podcast with the Kelce brothers is brilliant, well worth two hours of your time.

I see what you did and it makes no sense.

Eagles offense played great, them playing slightly better than they did wouldn't have made it a 'blowout'. They only punted once in the second half and had decent time in possession.

If you'd chosen to say the Eagles defense playing better in the second your point might make more sense but they would have needed a huge jump in performance compared to what they did in the 2nd half to make it a blowout, where they got absolutely slaughtered by an injured Mahomes.

What risk? From the way you describe it you'd swear he threw a hail mary when in reality Brady's pass was to a wide open player and it doesn't even go past the line of scrimmage. There isn't a less risky pass Brady could have made in that situation, it was simply a terrible pass. If he isnt taking this easiest option he is taking a sack and it is 4th and forever.

The penalty on what likely doesn't significantly impact the play saves them, just like the penalty last Sunday. Your assessment of them is just opposite based on the teams involved - where one is bad and one is good.

As you said if Brady doesn't get rid of it then he gets sacked so he takes a risk because it's a free play.

How you don't understand that and how it doesn't compare to what happened the other night is beyond me.

The flag was thrown before Brady threw the pass, it's a free play. The flag the other night wasn't down when Mahomes threw it away.

It makes no sense to you? The Eagles scored eleven points in the second half, if they scored the same as they scored in the first half they'd have won by ten points.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Alot of conversation on whether it was a hold or not and if it was a hold whether it should have been called. I understand its the final minutes of the SB but this image from NFL Films clearly shows a strong grip on jersey, coupled with Bradburry admitting he meant to hold, it has to be called.

There were calls throughout game on both the Chiefs and Eagles that werent called (including a fumble TD for Chiefs, a weird sideline catch call for Eagles, and a helmet to chest against Justin Reid), however just because mistakes/missed calls were made previously, it shouldnt be an argument to compound the issue and make another no-call. Then we would all be arguing how bad officiating is that they cant make any calls right.

I agree that refs have been so inconsistent this year in so many key games, with so many crazy calls for roughing the passer for example, and the NFL need to look at new methods to ensure refs have replays and information relayed to them in real time to make right calls. Seems to be so many complaints during the year about how a flag should have been thrown on a clear foul, and now in the biggest game of the season the argument is now that on a clear foul (perhaps not clear to viewers in real time) a flag shouldnt be thrown. Think its not only the refs that need to be more consistent tbh

It is simple, by your own logic it shouldn't have been a free play.

Patriots either throw an interception and the game is over or they are 4th and forever after taking a sack (which you apparently feel is less risky than a 9 yard throw to a wide open player).

My point was that you nor anyone on the thread, even the imagined anti-Patriots Brady mafia, that night claimed the clear flag shouldnt have been thrown on Ford because of some weird standard of it being late in a championship game.

What I'm saying is it's totally different because Brady knows he had a free play so it was never going to be an interception. Unless you are now claiming to be Nostradamus there's no way you can say that Brady was going to make that throw if there wasn't a flag.

As for Brady getting sacked, he is great at moving around the pocket and very aware of when the sack is coming. He'll likely get rid of it before the sack gets there.

Mahomes threw the ball away not knowing there was a flag on the play.

They are not comparable situations.

And offsides is always called. Minor holding is rarely called. Go look at the Superbowl again and count how many times holding wasn't flagged including more egregious holds. If there was consistency I wouldn't have a problem with it but there certainly was no consistency.

Brady makes that pass 99 times out of 100. It was an incredibly easy, very short pass to a wide open player. Having a free play made absolutely no difference in that situation unless you believe Brady purposefully threw a hospital pass for no apparent benefit to anyone aside from your argument a few years later.

So now you’ve changed your tune and want only select types of clear penalties ignored, coincidentally ones that haven’t benefited your team recently…

I’m done.

You are ridiculous. Flag thrown before Brady throws the ball. You are saying there's no doubt Brady throws that ball and you've no proof of that. At no stage have I claimed anything about whether the flag should be thrown or not.

All I've said is Brady knows he has a free play because the flag has been thrown before he decides where he's going to pass the ball. Unless you are in Brady's mind you haven't a clue if he was throwing that ball or not.

In this Superbowl Mahomes has thrown the ball away before the flag comes out. Mahomes has no intention of throwing the ball to JuJu. JuJu is not affected by the minor hold.

There's no comparison between these two plays. You need to realise that.

Advertisement