Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl LVII Thread - Chiefs v Eagles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

What a game, congrats to the chiefs.

That flag on the Eagles at the end was absolutely BS though. It may be technically a hold but if you’re calling that you need to throw a flag on every single play every game. I’d be livid if I was an Eagles fan tbh. With the way their roster is set up I think that was their chance, I can’t see them getting back to the big game any time soon. Would like to have seen them get a proper chance to tie the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well that was BS, I’ll have to rewatch the fourth quarter tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Nah, "letting the game flow" does not mean allowing a clear jersey pull to prevent someone getting an open scoring route.

Great game, right team won, more importantly right team lost, but I'm fcuked if I know what a catch is anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Penalty was correct at the end, Bradberry admitted to the foul so wipe those tears away.

What a comeback. MVP always loses the Super Bowl, win the toss and lose the game, down by double digits at half time, Mahomes on one ankle…and yet the Kansas City Chiefs got it done again. Amazing game and the best possible outcome.

Toney, Bolton, Pacheco, Kelce, Juju, Wylie were all superb as a supporting cast. But Patrick Mahomes is the best player in the NFL and got that second ring. More to come no doubt.

Post edited by Xavi6 on

• Registered Users Posts: 36,084 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The fact is the Eagles defence has been overrated all season. Chiefs did what I thought 49ers with a competent QB would do in the NFC Championship game.

Any good QB has scored 30+ on them. Mahomes is ultimately going to be in the GOAT conversation. This was likely to be a shootout, and Mahomes is too clutch.

Congrats Chiefs, who so many somehow slept on despite having the best player in football.

• Advertisement

Also, this was supposed to be a down year of sorts for the Chiefs.

The rest of the AFC got stacked, and they lost Tyreek in order to free some space.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭dmakc

Due to it being a designed push on the pile which is under the rules scope this off season - will Phili's sneak be outlawed next year?

It was technically a hold but it was absolutely minimal, the only hold called all night and there wouldn’t have been a single complaint from the Chiefs side if it was let go.

FWIW I think the Chiefs deserved the win after that second half masterclass and are the better team. It’s a pity this is a talking point in what was otherwise a brilliant game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Happy to see that fan base lose, cocky coach and a team that thought they were the shi. That’s probably niners bias lol but I always thought KC would win even though that was a weak call to decide a Super Bowl, some common sense is needed, barely pulled him and was never going to catch it anyway, there were a lot worse fouls than that in the game that weren’t called, pity it came down to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

qn

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Advertisement

Juju should’ve had a nailed on PI call in the first half so this just evens it out. A game isn’t won or lost on one play, Chiefs would’ve still kicked the field goal but left more time on the clock.

I know that they would still have scored but it spoiled the end of the game, the Eagles should have had a meaningful chance to even it up.

You can’t compare a no call in the first half to a ticky tacky call with under two minutes left to play that effectively ended the game. There is absolutely no comparison in terms of the impact of the officiating in both instances.

I know refs can never get everything spot on but consistency is not an unreasonable expectation. Let them play or don’t, but this type of cherry picking of when to strictly apply the rules leaves a bad taste for a lot of people.

Again that is not to take away from the Chiefs who were awesome in the second half.

I agree, the application of the rules is too inconsistent across the board. Look at the other calls, no one knows wtf a catch is anymore.

The Chiefs have been on the receiving end of some big time calls in the past, it is what it is and I don’t think it should be made too big a deal of in the context of the whole game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's two games in a row where calls favoured the Chiefs though. Remember the down that was played again?

It's ruined the Superbowl. The Chiefs would probably have won anyway but the Eagles never got an opportunity to try tie it up.

It was a very light tug, it didn't affect the play. They are rarely called but it gets called to basically end the Superbowl, it's bullshit.

it's not though.

that replayed down had zero effect on the AFC Championship game. The Chiefs still punted.

the issue people have with last night is that it was in the final couple of minutes. those sort of calls are inconsistent across the board, repeatedly. this gets the glare because we all wanted a grandstand finish, that's all. it sucks, but the idea that the Chiefs keep getting favourable calls over everyone else is gas.

No need for me to reply and say the same as this, good summation 👍🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭dmakc

Also felt there was a 15 yard penalty missed for leading with helmet on Pacheco last drive.

Reid just had all the answers for Phili D. Two fake motion TD's to close out. No sacks. I think all bar two KC drives (a missed PI one time and Mahomes injury sack another) did the job in terms of reaching scoring positions

How utterly sh*te was the trophy presentation by the way?

You'd think they were handing out minor honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A really poor call to finish any showpiece occasion.

Overall though I felt KC deserved the win. The second half comeback/performance was superb. They just had more big game players on the night, guys who've done it before and showed up that bit better than some of the Eagles guys.

A great game either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I fully agree that ref inconsistency is incredibly frustrating in the playoffs. The whole accepted concept that there is a different standard of officiating during the playoffs just makes a difficult job even tougher and more aggravating to at least one team and the fans watching.

Having said that, the Eagles and their fans have absolutely no right to complain about that final call, they had a huge number of questionable and inconsistent decisions that went their way in the conference championship that extended drives and led to most of their points.

Things do generally end up evening out. If you ignore or even celebrate it one week it is quite likely to come back to get you the following one.

• Advertisement

Fully agree on the Eagles defense, I've been banging that drum for a month now.

Bigger picture probably the worst thing to happen to them was that Purdy got injured so early. If he even lasted until half time the Eagles would at least have the opportunity to identify some additional weaknesses after seeing how Shanahan was targeting them and make some adjustments for the Super Bowl.

Instead the team and media just crowed about how great their defense was and a Chiefs team with an an injured Mahomes did that to them.

On Mahomes, I'd say he is already in the GOAT conversation. He has had the best start to a QB career in individual performance terms, not far off on team success, and is doing things on the field that I dont think any QB has been able to do (both in individual passes etc but also records). He isnt in the position to be crowned yet but to me he is already in the conversation.

One more point on the post game, I've pointed this out about other players/teams in the past but Kelce coming out after the game and saying no one believed in them is incredibly embarrassing.

I understand sports people tend to need some motivation but you can keep it to yourself, you don't need to gloat about a narrative you've completely made up in your head.

They were 3rd favourites during the preseason and for the Super Bowl despite having an injured QB it was basically a toss-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Giving the trophy to the owner every year is the biggest anti-climax in sport. Just give it to the MVP/QB (usually the same person anyway, to the point where I have no idea why they even bother having an "MVP" either). Giving it to some rich suit nobody recognizes and who looks awkward and stupid next to the actual athletes who just won it for him just sucks all of the excitement out of the occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Or give everyone their rings, walking past the trophy, at the end of the line the QB/MVP and owner get their rings and lift the cup together. I hate seeing owners lift it before the team as well.

It's especially odd when you consider how OTT every other aspect of the event is. The national anthem, the flyover, halftime show, etc...enormous fanfare and spectacle

Then comes what should be the absolute climax, the trophy lift, and it ends up like a car dealer handing over the keys to your new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,870 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yup... an easy enough fix would be to have the Owner be the one who presents it to the QB. Sure, the owner wouldn't get quite the same spotlight and would have to wait a bit for their own little speech, but he'd still be involved in the moment, and the whole thing would feel an awful lot more climactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Firstly congrats to the chiefs fans on this forum for another Super Bowl win. As an eagles fan I’m very disappointed with the result from what was an excellent game overall and I feel most for jalen hurts who’s had an amazing season and proved many wrong. The fumble he had was costly and not something he did during the season much.

the defence which had nearly 80 sacks during the season didn’t show up in the second half and Andy Reid and the chiefs took advantage of it.

In hindsight you are saying that the replayed down didn't affect the game.

Firstly we didn't know that at the time. Secondly it cost a few seconds which could have been vital.

Last night's decision should never have been called. It didn't stop the receiver, it didn't affect the play in any way. It's a no call at least 90% of the time.

Did you have the same opinion about the no calls in the Rams v Saints NFC championship game back in 2018?

Also you are making up ideas about my post. I never said the Chiefs are always getting favourable calls. I just pointed out that they got one in the AFC championship and one in the Superbowl. There were some calls made against the Chiefs in that AFC championship game too.

I also said that I don't think the Eagles would have managed to tie or win the game but they should have had the chance.

You have some cheek accusing me of saying the Chiefs always get favourable calls.

You see, and I thought you'd know this, the majority of Americans switch channel the second the game ends. It's not like over here where we watch the cup being lifted and all that.

• Advertisement

Fully agree on Mahomes but it's very similar to Brady in that he has a great coach with him.

I've been banging on for a long, long time that the only coach close to Belichick is Andy Reid. I've been saying it since he was in Philly with Donovan McNabb.

Advertisement