Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I wouldn't be in any rush to draw conclusions as to the effectiveness of the policy.

I think there's a lot of media attention on indications of it pushing people towards Ireland but the reporting is pretty anecdotal.

It does looks for now that the boats are still crossing the channel as before.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/rwanda-home-office-channel-children-kent-b2540873.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭downtheroad

"Speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland, Public Expenditure Minister Paschal Donohoe said the State is now providing accommodation for around 30,000 asylum seekers, not including “tens of thousands” of people who fled from Ukraine who’ve also been accommodated."

These numbers are just not sustainable!

https://jrnl.ie/6375959

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭DaSchmo

This post on reddit where thete is both up an down voting would be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

The government previously said accommodating asylum seekers in tents was unacceptable. Now they are recommending that.

It would be a terrible idea. At this time of year it will give the impression that the problem is being solved. Once winter kicks in it will be a disaster and they may need to be evacuated.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Certainly implied it was functioning competently, with that in mind, I’d be interested in the comparative figures…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sunjava

A bit like when masks shouldn't be worn, then a week later they were mandatory...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You're right, let them sleep on the streets and in the ditches during the summer. In winter we can provide tents. That way, the message might get through via their excellent networking systems.

And it's utterly laughable about the green leafy banks of the Grand Canal being emptied at the behest of local well monied residents associations whilst they are then dumped with no warning on various other communities.

Aubrey of Tiglin was interviewed there this afternoon by Cormac O'H. Seemed to be finally getting the message that handing out tents and sleeping bags only to see them seized and dumped the next day or so, wasn't the best idea. Draining on the finances too I guess. Aubrey is seeking clarification if they should keep supplying.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭dmakc

Are these next wave of accommodations Roderic is promising tented fields or hotels?

The man can't complete a sentence he's so afraid of himself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭prunudo

tents and pods in fields as far as i understand. Think the one in Newhall is to become operational soon. And believe one near Clomel being looked at currently too.

Not sure what the situation is with Ballina though, it seems to have gone quiet in the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭nachouser

Ah sure, I'll pop down to the green leafy canal tomorrow and take a few pics. It's not the idyll you all seem to think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

With the way the government are bankruptcy the country it won't be long before we're all living in tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Taking money off the taxpayers to outbid the taxpayers is the sort of thing that would be called fraud or maybe some sort of protection racket if anyone other than public bodies were doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

That’s being happening for years for our own Irish chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

He was given a super soft interview yesterday on the 1 o'clock news -

It was pre-recorded and this horrible image came into my head of Gavin Jennings standing behind Roderic giving him a shoulder massage saying 'you're doing great Rod' as Rodders waffles and stutters his way through it - Starts at 09:00 mins

Then Gavin starts playing hard ball with the shinner, getting thick and putting the boot in at 20:00 mins

Guess who's in Government Gavin? It's not SF! - RTE are not even trying to be subtle any more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I think if they start taking up private rental accomodation at the rates being mooted within established communities to turf loads of AS in there and private renters start to be kicked out that will be a tipping point to anarchy.

I honestly think it's long time the people most affected by all this - tax paying citizens that would not normally protest take to the streets collectively.

This is not OK. None of it. It's weird how accepting of it we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Ionraice

Irrespective of whether Ireland receives any Dublin regulation requests, we do adhere to the regulations.
    Therefore, if other European Countries are refusing our return requests, then they are not adhering to the Dublin regulation.
    Their reasons, or lack of sympathy don't matter. Ireland cannot be left paying the bill when other countries fail to control their borders.
    Even the Irish Government are beginning to realise the vast majority of the electorate quite simply will not tolerate it.
    For that matter, those who came here to work, and who applied for visas, work permits, etc. hardly appreciate their taxes being spent subsidising those who feel they have a right to all expenses paid Irish hospitality, irrespective of whether they have a valid claim, or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭whatever.

You have been given three different examples at three different stages from initial (UK) to decade long and operational between Greece and Turkey

None of it is aspirational and the measures are all within our power as demonstrated by the Greek-Turkey deal and the previously included citation. There is nearly 4 million refugees in Turkey, the process is quite clearly working and it's telling it's the one you have glossed over.

Inferring that we should capitulat just becauae the problem is not going away and there will be surges is and I apologise in advance and this as respectfully as I can; but that's deluded rationale

It is important that we stand up to the chain that murders people through human trafficing aka modern slavery all done for greed

You stand and fight

Only illegally claiming bogus asylum seekers were deported

The father should have never have been out working as he was proven to be an illegally claiming bogus asylum seeker

They would have had significant legal aid, appeals and protections, all again illegally obtained

They would have knowingly used or been advised their children could be used as anchor baby pawns against the state, a form of human trafficking for gain in itself

In your book - You are now disregarding the rule of law, advocating this position means we can disregard all the conventions, protocols and statues and just herd whoever we like onto a plane and dump them in Eritrea, problem solved

If you are not disregarding the rule of law than you are repeatedly lying over and over again

So you will either have to tell us you are a liar or the coventions don't matter and we are free to detain, deport or deprive as we see fit

For reference in case people are interested

"The High Court unanimously ruled today that the Australian government can keep asylum seekers in immigration detention indefinitely in cases where they do not “voluntarily” cooperate with their own deportation.

This includes, for example, when a person refuses to apply for travel documents due to a longstanding fear for their life if returned to their home country."

https://theconversation.com/high-court-dismisses-key-challenge-to-indefinite-immigration-detention-what-does-it-mean-229628?utm_source=linkedin&utm_medium=bylinelinkedinbutton

Australia are signatories to the same conventions we are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭creeper1

Paying one group of people to give out tents and another group of people to take down said tents

Hey it's an increase in GDP.

Makes about as much sense as paying one group of people to dig holes and another group fill them in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭tom23

It’s job creation! In fairness we are very clever people.

New headline in FT next week

Irelands economy to grow by 2.7% due to the growth of buying and destroying tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭thomas 123

the housing figures will be up too… 80 new homes delivered (in Crooksling for illegal economic migrants and the odd successful asylum applicant. )

Yes it's you

Liberal Arts and Liberal Opinion are two entirely different things

Logic is separate to both of these as is emotion too

I expect the supposition was to allay that a higher education devoid of logic, reasoning and science would leave that person relying only on the logic they last learnt as a 15 year old mixed with a far greater amount of emotion that would otherwise be balanced by knowledge and reason

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I expect the supposition was to demean both women and people whom the poster considers liberal thinking.

As for the waffle in your post.

Are you suggesting that people who do liberal arts stop developing mentally at 15?

Both your post and the other post are classic examples of othering.

You both seem to be trying weaken the other side in your own opinion by assigning negative traits that are based on nothing more than fantasy thought on your part.

All liberal people do this ..

All liberal people think this...

Which easily then leads to you thinking

All the faults I see are caused by them.

Even when it was the Nazis I always knew it was the liberals.

"Are you suggesting that people who do liberal arts stop developing mentally at 15?"

Maybe they just never really grow up or take a long time. If you wanna go to college and don't know wtf to do, then an arts degree was the trad standard option.

Maybe they never have to figure out much how to earn a living. The need to pay taxes and support others and how that money is spent. Maybe never at the sharp end and detached?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Ah stop. The hole is nearly all the way to China already.

So children from all over the country who complete their leaving cert to a sufficient level to attain acceptance to third level education are not all the same.

Because if they choose what you consider arts degree at 18 that means they stopped developing at the same rate as their peers at 15 who completed their leaving cert but didn't choose the same pathway?

👆🏿🤣🤣🤣🤣🫵🏿

In my opinion anyone who truly held such a belief would have to be an absolute idiot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Augme

Given people are complaining about the cost to the taxpayer of a €90 tent, I'm not sure spending €400,000+ per aslyum seeker to detain them is going to be very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭newhouse87

The one in clonmel is beside a halting site where the residents warned not to place asylum seekers as there would be trouble so that may not be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Miharo

If that is true, how do you explain the curious case of Mohamed Mohamud Mohamed, who was refused asylum in Germany, Italy and France and who was waiting for a decision for ovee two years in Ireland when he sexually assaulted a woman in a pub toilet?

Why was he not refused immediately if having an application in a different country is a quick way to get rejected?

Advertisement