Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yup, people focus on the asylum seeker part of the immigration issue but there are clear issues elsewhere too. We're part of the EU and have access to the talent pool there so the CSEP part is getting abused for non EU imo and the student visa one is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Just look at some of the rhetoric you see about people who go to these protests. Scumbags, far right racists, wasters, have they no job to go to etc. A lot of people don’t want to be smeared like that and it’s understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/state-facing-137m-overspend-on-modular-homes-for-ukrainian-refugees-as-total-cost-expected-to-rise-to-237m/a830698333.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The above article which won't link for me, has 654 modular home's coming in at an estimated cost of 237 million which works out at over € 362,000 each

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

I don't want to hear anymore from our political class about bullshit international obligations, when you look at what the Netherlands are doing, and just today, the Danes sending non Eu citizens prisoners to Kosovo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I don't think it has ever been an anti-refugee thing except for a relatively small number of people.

In my opinion, the problem people have is that they perceive the policies to be unsustainable, ill-thought-out, and unfair to Irish people. And they perceive those who formulate the policies as naive and desperately out of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The Danes are sending prisoners to finish their sentences in prison in Kosovo. What does that have to do with asylum seekers in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

What happened to their "international obligations"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Basically they said **** it, like most EU countries, except for virtue signalling Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Extreme unlikelihood of Mullooly winning a seat?

What are you basing this on?

Political commentators and the bookies seem to be completely at odds with that take.

As I've posted on here already I'd not be surprised to see him top the poll in MNW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I renewed my house insurance last month and my rebuild cost isn’t anywhere near the price of a modular home!

https://scsi.ie/consumer/build/calculator/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,242 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

unlikely both Tóibín and mulloly are elected I said

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I would say those people were acting shamefully not to mention those videoing and spreading that trash .

Who watches this stuff and then thinks its clever re- posting it ?

"But, but it just came up because the algorithm " !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I think you and those thanking this are deluded .

No ordinary locals there.

Nobody except a gang of thugs and criminals there .Imported from all over . 9 of whom are being charged .

How is it peaceful protest screeching in AGS faces and videoing them at their work ?

NNot to mention the lads bringing their dogs and knives to it .

Go away with your defence of this thuggery .

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

There is so much wrong with this statement to describe it as misleading would be lenient

You or anyone else here cannot say who was or wasn't there or whether 90% were local residents or otherwise

It is derogatory to describe people in the way that you have, further their form is entirely speculative and further again it is derogative on your part

It is entirely lawful to make a record of events taking place in a public space. Only in very very specific circumstances is it prohibited

The volume of someone's voice is entirely congruent upon the events taking place

There is no prohibition on the base act of being accompanied by an animal or the possession of a knife anywhere within the state

There is a lawful right to protest whether you agree with them or not. Also the right to protest can be deemed lawful retrospectively if judged within the public interest

Those who have let themselves down are the state, the Garda are not beyond contravening the law or excessive use of force when it is to their benefit or most malevolently engaging in malicious prosecutions as retaliation for embarrassment or other typifying behaviour

Post edited by whatever. on

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭creeper1

You bring up all those deserving cases

On RTE I saw a bloke from South Africa being interviewed.

Good grief!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭creeper1

The giving out and tearing down of these expensive "trespass" tents really grinds my gears.

The cycle must be broken.

Let them have their tent and their encampment on the grand canal ( the Dublin 4 section to be specific) for the following reasons.

This is more likely to be the area the political class and parasitic lawyers that are in favour of this live.

It may provide motivation for these powerful people to put something in place to stop the flow.

If the flow isn't stopped no amount of accommodating will make any difference other than rendering Irish a minority in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

What is promoting this hard line, hard nosed approach by government. And obvious disdain for the publics opinion.

If its to protect our fairable tax system for companies.

Its pretty pointless if your spending it all on all the world n sundry that just rocks up looking for hand outs.

Is it to give well connected people big contracts? Is it a source of potential cheap labour?

Post edited by Mr. teddywinkles on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭prunudo

This is exactly how the establishment want you to think about the protests. They don't want protesters to be labelled as concerned citizens standing up for communities.

Its actually really sad to see fellow citizens resort to name calling rather than look at things objectively. But its how its all planned. The government are scared of the public revolting on this. Hence the heavy garda tactics and the media being complicit in the reporting of events to intimate people into submission. Full names, addresses and photos of Irish people charged essentially with breaching the peace. I won't go into details, due to boards rules, but open your eyes to what really happened with your 2nd last sentence.

Its not derogatory if it's true. Of the 9 people charged the other day, 4 of them lived locally.

The right to protest, does not give people the right to block a highway, or entry to a private establishment, they have forced the closure of a very busy much needed recycling centre.

There absolutely is a prohibition on possession of a knife, it's an offence under Section 9 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons act, 1990

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1990/act/12/section/9/enacted/en/html

I believe a dog was seized also, clearly wasn't being looked after/controlled properly, and was seized under the control of dogs act

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1986/act/32/enacted/en/html

So, it's fairly obvious that one section of society seem to believe that the law doesn't apply to them. It does and the Gardai showed them that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Maybe there should be local consultation with the local community instead of shoehorning a bus load of unknowns into any area in the country in the middle of nowhere. Sounds very forceful and outright impertinent by our so called betters.

Try putting them into posh addresses more often if you can. Loads of amenities and job opportunities for these doctors and engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Is the dog the one in the video belonging to the man who was pushed to the ground by the guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ionraice

That's actually a very good question! Any dog worth having will certainly try to protect its owner..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭prunudo

Any dog(s) that see their owner being pushed to the ground by a group of men is going to ve distressed, very hard to control your dog as you're being pinned to the ground. Equally plenty of people who work in construction would have a stanley knife in their workwear pockets.

People need to open their eyes and be objective. If the gardai want a charge against you, they will find something to do you for. Question what they're doing, 'oh you're failing to comply'……..

Any dog owner that loves their dog Shouldn't be bringing then to a protest like that then, and if they do, they shouldn't put themselves and their dog in the middle of it. Very easy to walk away, before being forced.

Anyone working in a job that needs a knife, can bring their knife to work. Not to a protest. I linked the legislation above.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ionraice

Why shouldnt someone bring their dog?

I certainly wouldn't anticipate being pushed to the ground by Gardaí if I were protesting peacefully.

It's one thing to take someone by the arm and place them under arrest if they are breaking the law.

It's another thing entirely to push them to the ground when they haven't physically been aggressive towards you.

If I pushed someone to the ground that I disagreed with, it would be called assault.

As I said, Plenty of time to get out of the way before being forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Funny you should say that, listening to the news yesterday and there was some guy from one of the many NGO's that support AS and he was whinging about the cut to the money that AS receive that the government announced and he was saying there was consultation but I bet he is happy when the government dropping bus loads of AS in communities all across the country without any consultation and with the heavy handed the support of the Gardai. Hypocrites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Amen. God forbid they plonk anymore on our doorstep. We got our hands full with those whore here already

Any future influx of muslim refugees Sudani, Palestinian etc etc arriving here should be flown straight to Jeddah, Riyadh, Kuwait etc etc

after the traumas they have experienced, we cannot expect them to sleep in tents.

Also, they will be amongst their own kind in a muslim country instead of being expected to adapt to our ways. That might well be the straw that breaks the camels back. So to speak .. and they do not deserve that

Advertisement