Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drserious4

We have a nice local man running in the local election here. Well liked, decent community man. Have voted for him before, as have all my family. Unfortunately he is Fianna Fail and a vote for him is a vote for the same old policies so I will not be doing it again.

It really is worth remembering when you cast your vote whether the nice local lad's party are likely to do anything about the migration mess we find ourselves with.

That rules out FF, FG, SF, GP, SD, LAB and PBP. Am I leaving anyone out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nachouser

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nachouser

This thread is a parody now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Repro212

Absolutely Slay55, 200%. The mass influx began long before Rwanda and is down to the virtue signalling clowns in power. Like certain posters on here, these politicians have nothing but contempt for their own people but would sell their soul for those that have poured in under false pretences. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aziz

Yeah , 15th count and now Taoiseach,how lucky can you be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭combat14

interesting to hear ivan yates believes upcoming june elections are a referendum on migration

he could well be right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭riddles

This is the case across the country. A lot of councillors will say they can’t effect change on decisions coming from central government down to country managers. Well if that is the case they should run as independents to reflect this discontent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭brickster69

This lady seems to know what she is talking about and sounds quite sensible

All roads lead to Rome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Katie Holland,Ivana Bacik,hazel chu, you want them u house them in D4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭DeadHand

He is.

The referendum was also, to a lesser extent. It was more a statement of how wretchedly unpopular this government is, though the main objection the nation has with this disgraceful administration is their calamitous handling of migration.

They haven't simply done nothing, they've actively made the situation worse.

The vast majority are thoroughly sick of this government and their feeble submission to endless immigration at any and all costs. Their blatant prioritisation of corporate interests, progressivist nonsense and their own supranational standings over the dignity, happiness and security of the Irish nation.

There is a sense out there that the country has changed: it has become more tense and unhappy as a result of de facto open borders.

There is a sense out there that the Irish people and the Irish homeland is being exploited hugely.

We are, it is.

The Sligo, Tullamore and Parnell Square outrages represented an end of innocence moment for us as a nation on this issue. They made clear, in blood, the consequences of the prevailing politic.

And it all chimes with a fundamental, European truth: mass immigration from the Global South is, and always has been, bitterly unpopular among the native peoples of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

General election in October/November. Just around the corner really.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Fotish

I’m inclined to agree with you.

There are people badly in need of protection alright , but these people are sitting in Afghanistan and Syria and places like that, unable to go anywhere.

They are not camping in Mount Street, after swanning around Europe after purchasing false documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Sunjava

We as a country possess no ideology on what we're supposed to be. All ideologies have positive and negative components depending on what perspective you look upon them.. All I can see is a country that is reactive to everything, allows everything and anything to develop and hopes for the best. I'm sure the EU's influence is significant and perhaps there is an institutional effect but we really have no solid principles. It's likely that we had the Catholic church holding us together for so long that we are lost without it, a child orphaned unable to figure out the world. We are like one big NGO, completely based on human rights of this or that...meanwhile things are beginning to crumble.

It's time to stop wanting to be liked by the big kids in school and stand up to the bullies, read the room and grasp what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

true. 5 to 6 months and counting until early political retirement for many of our sitting ministers and their TD’s

It’ll be interesting to see just how much more damage FF/FG/GP can inflict on us before then. Namely from their authoritarian goodie bag consisting of a supposed hate speech bill (which no democratic citizen asked for or wants) and this wonderful immigration pact that 80%+ of our population are against.

They re probably leaving these two society redefining infliction nuggets as parting gifts to the Irish voting public as their final insult as they leave the dail closing the door behind them after being ousted .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, I don't quite buy the argument that local councillors have no say as to what happens in their area as regards these matters. We saw the councillors of Mayo County Council saying enough is enough a few months back. So why can't others? Have Mayo followed up on this motion in a practical way might be a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Daily Mail ponders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Look at their website all anti-covid suido science

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Kingslayer

I can't keep up with this thread, everytime you come back there is another 20 pages or more!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I know he’s like Marmite but I’m really enjoying his podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ionraice

This! Eventually, students. Presumably that means Irish homeless aren't even on the radar. Its long past time every political party supporting this level of discrimination against the Irish people were gone. At this point, I seriously doubt that even complete novice politicians could do any worse for the Irish people. At the very least, they might be able to display a bit of common sense, instead of this debacle of paying NGOs to dictate how government policy is formed. Its beyond ludicrous, at this point!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

love the comments on Baciks Twitter account, can’t have those asylum seekers in leafy Ballsbridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Glenomra

So true. I was born at a time in rural Ireland when the church controlled virtually all aspects of people's lives to an extent that appears incomprehensible to the modern generation. Parents were in fear of the priests' disapproval and church attendance, religious observance etc was almost obligatory. Despite the repressive nature of this regime it succeeded in keeping most lrish people under strict control. Alcohol became the release for many repressed people. The government had no need to develop their own ethical philosophy and indeed if they had it would they have been unable to implement them against the power of the church. Since the demise of the church, Irish governments are floundering. Now we just blindly follow whatever US or EU policy is the 'flavour of the month'. Incapable of independent thought. No sign of imminent change. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

The optics of this situation, and the reality, are shocking. Theyve been shocking for a long time.

You have irish people suffering under the housing crisis for god knows how long.

Meanwhile, the government have entered faster-than-light speed to accommodate migrants in every bizarre way you can imagine.

Converting student accommodation, converting oap homes, going on the hunt for disused buildings, competing with buyers to get derelict fixer uppers, renting out entire hotels, forcing towns and villages to accept hundreds of extra people overnight. No amount of effort or trouble has been too much.

They're even making moves so obviously detrimental it's attracting protestors to their very own front door. Now that's sacrifice!

While obviously there would be complaints about the standard of living if any of this had been done for irish people, at least it would have looked like an effort. At least it would have looked like they care in the slightest.

But no.

The government have made it very clear that they care about the housing situation for migrants as if their lives depend on it, while irish people are barely an afterthought.

Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think it's kind of an age/demographic issue. In past times it was the University campus that fomented objection and protest and often meant a positive result for change. Nowadays it doesn't seem that radical student protests exist at all. Yes they follow and march for ideologies like the Trans movement and political issues like Gaza. Neither of which are of much import to our daily lives on the ground.

The youth of today complain about housing and lack thereof, but where are the mass marches, demonstrations, sit ins and so on. You would think that the lack of student accommodation for starters, not to mention the procurement of a flat after graduation would fire them up. Not that I can see. Maybe it's ennui, maybe it's fear of being labelled a Rightie or something, I dunno, but until the next generation get up and protest and maybe take their eyes out of their phones for a few minutes nothing will change. The more mature generation is not being listened to, so our only hope is the younger generation.

I can't see it happening, and the Government knows this I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

It's just immaturity, same as ever. The comfort of having no real impact on your life gives freedom to have luxurious ideology.

But when most of them leave that stage of life and face actual consequences and genuine choices, the tune will change.

That's why I said before that Ireland is in a transitional stage.

There is still a large enough cohort that are escaping the consequences of what's happening right now. But that number can only shrink.

Precisely how the number affected negatively can only grow.

Give it another 5 years or so when the next generations emerge fully into the reality of these crises, then you'll see realistic reactions. It'll turn the political landscape on its head, and society's as well.

Transitional is the keyword.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

Asylum seeker jailed for predatory attempted rape of woman in toilets in a Dublin city bar.

https://archive.ph/s0jpU

Was refused asylum in Germany, Italy, France. Destroyed his passport on the way here, claims asylum and is put up in a hotel, while awaiting a decision.

I guess that was his way of saying thank you to Ireland.

You would think the authorities here would have some common sense, when his asylum was refused in 3 other countries.

Pity the woman, she will probably have PTSD for the rest of her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Ah give over, I grew up in the seventies and the power of the church in that era and later is greatly overrated, none of us gave AF what the local priest said

Advertisement