Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭downtheroad

It does matter. One person needs to have the balls to call this as they actually see it. We simply do not have enough accommodation to offer.

Arguing for the sake of arguing is ridiculous. If you tried that in a boardroom of a company you'd be run out of the building.

Same with Pearse Doherty in the Dail last week, screaming and shouting just to get a few clips for social media.

Unbelievable that these people cannot be adults and look to come up with solutions.

Simple idea, each political party nominates 1 member to a special "taskforce" that are told not to do anything other than work on this crisis. 1 person from each of SF, FG, FF, SD, Lab, Green and PBP. And task the 7 of them with agreeing on ideas and solutions to be implemented with full party agreement, rather than constantly pointing the finger and trying to score points.

I don't like protest votes but my European election vote will be going to an obscure independent and no further. Maybe these guys might get a fright or a message in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We are a joke of a country.

What hope would we ever have to police our borders when policing a few hundred meters of a canal towpath appears to be beyond us.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

And then the next thing will be finding jobs for them …..

'Now Mary, you know that little part time job you have down in the Centra? Would you ever consider giving that up to Abdullah? Your husband is working and you'll only spend the money on new curtains and Abdullah needs to feel that he has dignity and of course his wife and four children will be coming over soon ………'

Actually in a way, if the modular homes and UN-suggested 'rapid build a home scheme' (whatever that is) go ahead, then indeed the world and his wife, quite literally, will be housed ahead of local people.

People on social housing lists for years, people priced out of buying in places where they grew up, where their families have lived for generations, students who've worked their young arses off to get to university living in substandard over-priced accommodation and nothing was ever done for them. No. We couldn't build anything for them. I'm beyond disgusted at this stage.

If she was able to get herself to Ireland, why couldn't she just go and live somewhere else in Botswana, far away from her father? Or even go to another African country? I mean, why does she need to come to Ireland in order to not have her body parts sacrificed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Fair enough. Interesting that you see talking to me as a waste of time as I'm in the "there are none so blind" camp when in my previous post to you I literally set out my interpretation of your argument so that I was sure that I understood it. That's a courtesy that tends not to be extended to me, where all sorts of extrapolations and inferences are jammed into my mouth by others.

But, having taken the time to read and understand your views, your logic to me remains not so much "none so blind" as it does "none who see so well only that which they selectively choose to see". At the end of the day, when you are claiming that elevated numbers of IPAs of several nationalities, experienced broadly across European countries, is a phenomenon which for some reason can more specifically be attributed to a few tweets from a minister than the bottleneck effect which has been enormously contributed to by the Ukraine War — well I'm not sure what more I can say to you either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It is frustrating that all the official talk on this is about how to accommodate this fraudulent influx, not how to curtail it.

The mobile masses of humanity on the trafficking routes smell blood: an easily exploitable nation of fools.

Voting for FFG, Labour, Sinn Fein or the Social Democrats in the upcoming elections is an admission that you approve of the current disgrace, and that you approve of mass immigration at any cost.

I know we do not want this. No action will be taken unless it is made clear to the establishment, through the ballot box, that we do not want this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Augme

It seems that the modular housing being built by the government cost €145k for a four bedroom unit. Significantly cheaper than a 4 bed house. And as you say, it meets planning regulations.

The government haven't included an exemption for planning permission for refugees and asylum seekers. They have an exemption for Beneficiaries of Temporary Protection i.e Ukrainians.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭star61

of course it’s cheaper, it is the cost for the unit only. it doesn’t include site cost or ground works or connections or development charges. Exactly as you say - not available as an option for ordinary people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Now that our government has recognised Palestine as a state I guess that can open the flood gates to importing even more migrants, nice we might get cheaper kebabs now 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I know, that tweet gets a lot of blame! I'd love to ask the migrants how many of them read the tweet 😂

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I said they meet building regulations, which are different to planning regulations and the wording of the statutory instrument for the exemption is for the housing of those 'seeking international protection'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Damn, I was trying hard to find a silver lining

Have the government funded NGOs started handing out keffiyeh patterned tents yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭baldbear

Wouldn't be surprised if Israel hope for this. Somehow facilitate more people trying to get here. Palestinians living in other countries for years are now coming here claiming asylum.

From the Liffey river to the Irish Sea, tents as far as you can see

I'm actually very worried. Here we are with people having nit-picking arguments about modular homes (no disrespect intended really) but there are also serious issues around what we're doing to our society with this influx of refugees and asylum seekers.

A few days ago a woman in her 80s on holidays in Killarney was mugged in the town and left with head injuries and a broken arm by one of the residents of Tudor Lodge. Now that he's been charged and appeared in court he can be named, Russian surname.

The Guards in Killarney received a bomb threat on social media. They're looking into it. The guy who's believed to be living in Killarney states:

“F**k you Irish c**ts, f**k you all trying to act nice but you are f**king s**t.”

This is me going out to you all. Ireland’s gonna be dead. You are all gonna die, especially here in Killarney" before threatening to “ to drop a bomb on Killarney Garda Station.”

“I am gonna f**king wheel in there with a bomb on me,” the male states before saying “You think I am joking? You think I don’t have terrorist friends around here,” before the video ends.

The population of the town of Killarney has been increased by nearly 50% - 10,000 locals, and now more than 4,000 refugees and IPAs. That's just not right.

If we're letting in so many men surely there must be some violent ones, mentally ill ones and criminals amongst them?? What are we doing? And is it only a matter of time now before we have some terrible incident?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Roderic O’Gorman can get as defensive and arrogant as he likes about the tweets, the fact is that those tweets and the general approach from this Government over the past few years has been somewhat welcoming at a time when Governments across Europe have been going sharply in the other way (especially the UK).

It’s little wonder that the numbers have gone the way they have with that in mind

There won't be any modular homes arriving by truck in the middle of the night in ROG's constituency, you can be sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭rowantree18

.....and now we've recognised "the State of Palestine "...... we're such great people aren't we. Let's see how delighted we'll be when a 100 thousand of them descend on us requiring international protection. But sure, it's great to be best boy. And alienate the only democracy in the region. No gay pride marches in Gaza.

Funny we never protest about Saudi, Iran, China etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Was the white paper shared in several different languages?

Or was that just the text of the tweet?

Does the white paper promise own door accommodation or just mention it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well it's argued that this is one of Putin's tactics to destabilise the west, so it is in the international playbook. I presume that Palestine will not be deemed a safe country and therefore there will be a legal route here as things stand.

She is obese. No harm calling a spade a spade.

It's the fear of being cancelled, by speaking the truth, that has contributed to this mess. Few politicians, and none in government, have the balls to say that we have too many asylum seekers on these shores and that we cannot accommodate them, never mind any more.

But if they say that they'll be plastered across the front pages of the newspapers, the liberal left will go bananas on social media, radio presenters will call them out on air.

Far easier to stay silent, or worse, say we can do more to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭gw80

This is exactly what Israel is at, they are trying to cause such a humanitarian crisis for Palestinians that I would presume Europe will just say "**** it,we will take them"

They are probably looking at Europe taking in millions of Ukrainians and saying to themselves they can take in a couple of million Palestinians also, and that would rid them of their problem.

Since the med crisis in 2015 the Israelis or Israelis groups have been helping refugees traverse their way into Europe with information on where and how to get into Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Ah, they are already more than well established here. Leo went out of his way to ensure that ..

i had to do a double take when he lent out our sacred ground, Croke Park, (the Holy ground !) to Muslims to celebrate their Eid religious festival.

Whatever we think of our Catholic heritage, our history, the fact that 14 men were shot dead in Croke Park during the War of Independence, I consider Croke park to have a sacred Irish - and specifically Irish - significance. Inviolable.

It is a patch of ground that has written itself into the Irish soul. Any trespass thereon is an act of Blasphemy.

Not on the part of the Muslims who used the park (they didn't break in there) but the Irish government (varadker, macentee, o gorman & Co) who basically gave them the keys to the city. It doesnt matter if it were lent out to Jehovahs witnesses, same thing - this is our sacred gound, our holy of holies. Inviolable.

I always got the impression that leo varadker held the Irish electorate, whom he was elected to serve, with contempt - and barely concealed contempt at that. He seemed like a man hell bent on fcuking the place up. And didnt he do well. He got that fire up and blazing bfore he slunk off into the shadows, mission accomplished.

I respect the various religions that live (peacefully) among us (if peaceful they can remain) but I find it very difficult to be silent on this matter. I really fear what is coming down the tracks. It does not augur well for the future.

I feel totally betrayed, shot in the back by this "Irish" (i find it difficult to call them Irish) government.

End of day, i guess they are just glorified county councillors to their EU bosses but, even allowing for this, surely they must see that what they are doing is unconscionable. In 4 short years, they have managed to kill / pawn off our Irish spirit, our soul.

How do they live with themselves ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Great to see we have our priorities straight.

We might have teenagers dying of sepsis in our emergency wards, young couples living at home into their 40s because home-ownership is a pipe dream and scrotes roaming our streets without fear but by God we're top of the class with the woke issue-du-jour.

Maybe we can encourage a few of those lovely Palestine lads to come over here too - it's not liked they've caused any trouble for neighboring countries who let them in in the past.

RTE and the Irish Government currently circle-jerking themselves into a froth of righteousness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The crux is we are not doing basic background checks in a lot of cases and people are just let roam off into the country and that's that. It's inherently stupid beyond belief.

It's an open goal for the like of ISIS if they were strategising that way and who have gone disconcertingly quiet.

For me this is no longer a migration issue, it's a domestic security issue. That doesn't seem to be talked about at all!

The fact is there are many people arriving on our shores who are so far from our values and beliefs as a country it is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,059 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think it's a matter of time until the Palestine people start asking for asylum in Ireland

What a **** show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Loss of six million to the town, tourism going right down the shitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Or the white paper that actually mentioned own door accommodation. White papers by departments of foreign governments are high on the reading lists in other countries I'm sure🙄🙄

Advertisement