Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,988 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The only bad thing about this is they're hoping to free up housing that the Ukrainians are using for IPAS which is sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The panel on the Tonight Show all agreed that this is not about money : it's purely about politicking by FFG with a view to the local and European elections and trying to keep the right wing / conservative vote on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭engineerws

Seems to point to no defenses in Kharkiv and a lot of newly formed companies earning lots of money.

If we wanted to help and still even now, getting the opposing sides to talk would have been best.

NATO gaves weapons and hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians have died in an unwinnable war. I think it's a stretch to say that is supplying a few more weapons would have made a difference.

Post edited by engineerws on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Locals will be out in force, fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

https://www.thejournal.ie/citywest-asylum-seekers-dublin-6379727-May2024/

No oversight, no responsibility, no bloody diligence - just more of the same in all things migration crisis

More millions of taxpayers money misallocated to people misrepresenting themselves (the staff in this case as opposed to the residents). Sure what’s a few million more on the bonfire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Repro212

What about a crowd funded legal challenge? Even if unsuccessful it could be a way to highlight to the world what we are up against and embarrass the government - also not as easy for the extremists (on either side) to hijack as a march.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

As with Dr Ebun Joseph, neither would get a job doing what they do in their home country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I see where you are coming from, honestly I do.

But unless your solution to all this is some no borders communist utopia a firm line has to be drawn somewhere - I draw it at contributing to society/state or genuinely fleeing a conflict(and maybe I’d add to this only if there is no closer option to flee to) .

I personally don’t think there is any hypocrisy in calling out comparisons drawn against a legal migrant who legally(through correct channels) left to work in another country vs someone who illegally(through illegal channels or of their own accord) arrived in Ireland most likely after passing through 2-15 other safe countries on their way here for economic benefit, all the while clogging up a system created for people fleeing real war and real persecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭prunudo

the government have handed over construction, implementation and operation of these centres to a group of faceless and dodgy people and companies. They are more often than not based outside the state, are above the law and not accountable.

In years to come, there will be enquires and outrage about what has gone on by state agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Said this month's ago.

Once you audit Roderic O'Gormans department spending the whole charade comes to an end.

EU State aid, anti money laundering, tender due diligence... take your pick. This is what the NGO industry in Dublin fears the most.

Once it is dealt with we can start to get to grips on dealing with what's left.

Once again it takes media from outside the state to hit this on the nose

Post edited by _Puma_ on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

I see a report from the journal that millions been spent on security at a asylum centre where some staff weren't "vetted". I thought that was a far right term? Cash in hand too. Another lads are getting a few hundred in cash,get free accomodation and food in another centre . What a sick joke.

So we have potentially security been provided by people who shouldn't even be in the country. Irish tax payers loosing again on this crazy merry-go-round.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Well thats Kerry gone so -cant even go down for a weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Gamergurll

Unfortunately, absolutely nothing surprises me anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sunjava

Unfortunately this entity you refer to as a state is no longer what it used to be...there will be no appetite in years to come as we'll likely be dealing with some other crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2024/05/15/im-working-i-have-two-jobs-ukrainians-play-down-impact-of-welfare-cuts/

The Ukrainian community seems to be far more reasonable than the insufferable Irish people who want to speak on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That's not true and could very rapidly become our war. Ukraine is standing as a bulwark against Russian imperialism and making huge sacrifices in terms of it's population and infrastructure. So they do deserve appropriate measured support. Otherwise we could see the conflict developing into a wider European war. That's how wars develop and change. And if it does, you and I will be like pawns.

So we do need to offer shelter to genuine war refugees on the same basis as other EU states and always on the understanding that they return when the conflict has calmed and rebuild their own state. We shouldn't offer refugee status to those who are not genuine war refugees, both from unaffected parts and those required back in Ukraine.

Like everything, no black & white, all is nuanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There was some discussion here recently of the Kippure Estate scandal where a business entity was developing multiple additional units to cater for the accommodation needs of the state. Something like 40 units had been built and another 50 I believe under construction, all done without planning permission. A village it was compared too in the heart of Co.Wicklow, the so called Garden of Ireland, where planning for ordinary folk is very difficult to obtain. This is/was a multi million € business for this company.

I read last night that Wicklow County Council has issued an enforcement notice, requiring the cessation of all development works, the demolition of all buildings above without planning permission and restoration of the site insofar as practical.

All seemingly because two local councillors responded to local concerns, organised a public meeting and pressure put on the local authority to do something. There are of course local elections coming up and the issue was dynamite in that area. Interestingly the councillors who stood up were Gerry O'Neill and John Snell, both Independent. All the other party councillors hid their heads away it seems, certainly declined to criticise these developments in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Kippure estate. It's all being done in secret. They have heavy duty security staff, no phones, cameras allowed on site. Local protest signs were removed overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Will0483

We have been implementing a pro-immigration policy for the past couple of years which has led us to the current situation. I think most here agree that this situation is undesirable and can't continue. Therefore, we need to radically change policies and stop listening to unelected ngo's and quangos.

I still think you don't understand what I've posted.

Nobody is arriving in Australia illegally without being immediately put in detention.

All of what they call Asylum seekers have already gotten a visa normally a student one.

10 billion AUD is about 6bn Euro and that is over ten years so 600 million euro a year to end illegal immigration.

I think most Irish people would take that in a heartbeat seeing as we spent several billion last year alone on illegal immigrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭thomas 123

can you tell us More about this? Where is it etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ooter

Someone should bring a drone down and have a look from above.

Peter Burke on radio at the moment saying we can't have a situation where one group of Ukrainians are getting more than another group of Ukrainians, I was waiting for Claire to ask why not continue to pay them all the same amount so but she never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Aine Lawlor on morning Ireland gave Michael McGrath a grilling on the proposed cuts saying they were targeted at the most vulnerable Ukranians and we were shutting the door on them at a time of Russian advances.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Gamergurll

One group of Irish receiving some form of SW get a different amount to other groups depending on circumstances, where is the difference? These people are so full of $hit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It didn't end illegal immigration.

It was one unsuccessful part of an overall solution, which only dealt with about 4k people.

There were further costs for the parts that were effective, the push back schemes and pre-clearance.

Cost on offshoring by my calculations was about 2.8 million per person. Most of the people involved ended up back in Australia, or part of further expense on resettlement programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I've been reading online this morning about this. How the Ukrainians, in state accommodation, all supports given, are being hit the hardest because we are cutting their €232 PW....wtf?

I hope the government won't backtrack on this decision now, as we know they tend to do when certain pressures kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Photobox

Unfortunately I think they will. Its infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

There have already been changes in policy.

So far the results are tent encampments and less Gardai to deal with serious crime.

You'll need to be a bit more specific on what you propose to do, how it can be implemented in Ireland, and what the outcomes will be.

No, totally incorrect. Most were deported if they cooperated and some are still in detention. None that arrived illegally ever settled in Australia. The cost per person is irrelevant as you are stopping hundreds of thousands just by strict enforcement. It actually works out way cheaper and less disruptive to society than unchecked illegal immigration.

• Advertisement

Well, unfortunately I am not the Minister for Justice with access to thousands of staff and advisors so not my job to come up with specific policies.

The tent encampments are a necessary evil because if every AS was provided a warm and secure apartment or house we would be innundated with thousands more within weeks from all parts of Europe.

All would agree that it is inhumane to spend years deliberating on these Asylum applications so speeding that up should be the priority.

A large military style camp in the countryside would be a cheap and suitable accomodation that would reduce conflict with local communities as very few want to live next to AS. This would also help with keeping track of who is where within the country.

Lastly, once Asylum is rejected, we need to fight back against the NGO's and the countries from where the AS leave from to ensure that they can be deported.

Any country that refuses to accept their own citizens back should be denied any aid or development funding from the EU.

I think that will work wonders for getting deportations done. We will need to be deporting 10s of thousands p.a for a while until the word gets out that Ireland is not a soft touch any longer.

Advertisement