Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I imagine it's got something to do with the fact that we have only experienced high levels of asylum seeker entry at one moment in the history of the State — and that's since the Ukraine crisis broke out in 2022. It has simply never been a priority issue because it has never really been a major problem in Ireland.

The difference now is that we took in a large number of IPAs after the Ukraine war began — like many other countries across Europe — and our ability to handle numbers of this volume on a long term basis is lacking. So I don't think it's all that opportunistic that we take issue with the UK openly suggesting that they will use the Irish border to pass IPAs to Ireland in whatever number.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭pauly58

https://www.thejournal.ie/mcentee-cabinet-approval-uk-safe-return-asylum-seekers-6367678-Apr2024/

Someone please give her a dictionary, I don't think she knows what recommence means, I can't wait to see how she plans all of this.

An election I suppose — an election where I'm sure there are many on this thread who could have a go at running against her and as she is so stupid they would all easily win. I expect to see a huge number of people competing to run against her....(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Fantastic observation - not entirely sure what her being elected as a TD has to do with her performance as Minister for Justice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭engineerws

I'm not condoning the policy suggested on this thread but nevertheless find this remarkable given the narrative being pushed around obligations and laws, as if both were immutable.

It turns out government can draft new legislation. Who would have guessed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭riddles

Start with a strong message at the local and EU elections delivering a wipe out to the Greens FFFG showing the electorate is looking for tangible action on clear plans to help reshape our society into some kind of functioning model where a basic social contract will again be a reasonable aspiration as opposed to pipe dream.

Because she, like any other politician, is subject to the democratic process. You asked what it would take to remove her — people can remove her by not voting for her or not voting for her party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭combat14

its laughing talking about bringing (x20+ times) family members over when we cant give the free homes and hotel treatment to the crowd that are there already

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Will0483

We haven't a snowballs chance in hell of improving anything in Africa. Even food aid is looted by the strong and sold to the weak for profit. Any cash investments are stolen by the connected African elites or their families.

The aid industry is an abject failure. The people there need to demand an end to corruption and sort out their own countries without any interference from the west.

Another fantastic observation - so you are happy for a minister to remain in their position regardless of how hopeless they may be and we should just suck it up and wait for an election?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭tom23

Can actually never see Helen loosing her seat unless she decides not to run. From the area and I can tell you she has a core support that will vote for her regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'd fully support a hard just to deal with refugees. The brits are a stain on irish humanity amd continue to **** on us.

Well, no. But you are asking what it would take to remove her, and suggesting that she is too stupid to resign, so if the people want to remove her by not voting for her or her party, they can. I'm not sure what you're objecting to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Will Rwanda also be listed as a safe country?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Rwanda looks about as safe as here.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Will0483

Go live outside the peripherique (ring road around central Paris) for a few months like I did. Then, you'll see how well the 2nd and third generation Algerians and Sudanese have integrated. When France beat Morocco in the world cup, the youth went mad burning cars and French flags.

They're also hugely over-represented in the courts and unemployment.

People need to wake up to reality and stop spouting simplistic platitudes about immigrants "becoming Irish" when the vast majority have absolutely no interest in doing so and their children's children won't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

One name you never hear mentioned of course is Putin.

I believe he's actually quite popular amongst the far-right, Le Pen, Orban, etc all admirers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Are they though?

British society has been deeply troubled and destabilised by mass immigration and illegal immigration.

The current government there were elected on a mandate to confront the problem.

They have.

It is not their fault nor their business that we in Ireland refuse to take our border or our security seriously.

It is not their fault or their business that our government has encouraged, incentivised and participated in a process of mass, unregulated immigration. So much money is being passed into private hands by this madness that I think it is fair to call it people trafficking.

They are at least trying to safeguard their country while we flail around and attack everything but the problem at source.

No one is to blame for the current crisis, or the far, far worse crises to come, but the leadership in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

plenty of ngos on the radio yesterday debunking the 80 % from uk. it's all people here whose circumstances have changed.

tthen channel 4 interview I'm dublin, yeh came from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Good discussion about all this on the Pat Kenny show just now. One interviewee pointed out 'you can't return people to a country that doesn't want them' i.e. Ireland will have to find other ways of managing the people crossing the border issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭bloopy

Why is there such a determination to debunk the Northern Ireland route?

Surely it makes the most sense to use that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭tom23

I missed it… i take it that interviewee was an NGO representative? Who was offering the opposing view? Not wanting them and having an international legal obligation to take them back are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

Heard that and sounds right even though people won't want to hear it. People will continue to arrive via the North if they want. They can't be stopped.

Who has the ability to appoint and remove ministers? - not the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭ECookie13

I can only assume it's just a widespread attempt by certain crowds to debunk any negative immigration news and information, as this is the most amount of negative news that refugee immigration has received here that I can remember.

All the websites where the pro-immigration free-for-all crowd congregates, which are getting less and less these days of course, have been on the warpath the last few days posting about how all these figures about NI are being used by conservatives, "far-right" etc. to push their "narrative". That this is all exaggerated and false news. Sometimes you wonder if it's satire on their end.

It's likely all just an attempt at damage control for their warped ideals, and with the NGOs, to save their backsides and attempt to keep the gravy train going.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

put a couple of huge IPA centers in her end of the constituency and she won’t be returned as a councillor. But she’s happy to visit that upon others. We’ll get the same guff she gave about not being able to take a Ukrainian refugee… happy to leave them in rural Kerry, Clare, Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭aidanodr

So to confirm .. yes this is all about France v UK .. we walked into being the useful used pawn in this

He (Sunak) tells @peston he won’t consider taking returns from any EU countries, unless France did likewise from UK.

Has solid proof on this been established as of yet though? From what I have read, the high figure being cited of IPAs using the NI route appears to be based on an inference that people who apply for asylum anywhere else than an airport or port must have come across the land border. Inference is not fact, especially when there are reasonably rational reasons why a person might see a benefit at applying at the IPO rather than immediately upon arrival into the State at the airport (ie, fear of being denied entry etc).

It stands to reason that the ease of crossing the border would present a good opportunity for people who have made it to the North and want to apply for asylum in the south. But it would be good to know more solidly how much of that 80% is just a big assumption and how much can actually be verified. Has anything been put forward to that effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭brickster69

AS mumbers increasing in South Belfast the last few weeks.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement