Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Don't we have a problem where asylum seekers are essentially "untouchable" and above the law unless they commit a crime serious enough to put them in jail?

Like on Mount Street - we provided them with alternative accomodation with sanitary facilities, and then like soft parents we allow them to go right back to Mount street. And now, Simon Harris talks about a "consensual" approach. Why is it consensual, are we literally unable to just give these people orders or instructions while they reside in our country illegally?!? But the Guards plenty able to shout orders at irish people protesting.

We need to wipe the floor with the established parties at the coming election. They need record low votes and record high for alternatives. Only way to get a semblance of change in tact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭aidanodr

One of the replies to Gavan O Reilly tweet above is interesting:

this really shouldn’t be rocket science

their refusal to accept returns breaches the letter/spirit of the CTA which disrupts the Windsor Framework which thereby puts their Brexit CTA back on the table; we should be lobbying Brussels now for trade sanctions

I think this is the road that Michael martin is travelling and not that useless legislation change McEntee is wasting her time with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭bloopy

But I don't understand why they are so hell bent on disproving the Northern route.

This whole thing has exploded now and is nothing but negative.

WheWhether they are coming in through the airports or coming in through the north does not change the fact that the country has had enough one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

For the migrants camping out at Mount St. committing an offence to get charged and brought to a nice warm bed with wash facilities and 3 meals at day in Mountjoy prison must seem very tempting given the conditions outside the IPAS centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Say what you want about the plurality of media — I'm all for media platforms with different views — but I genuinely pity anyone who laps up what Beattie says there as being fact. Not least the idea that somehow the Irish government is to blame for not agreeing to border infrastructure which, even at that, was not infrastructure that was ever proposed as being one aimed at tracking or monitoring the flow of people — only goods. It's just an unbelievable re-writing of history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

You know I think I have just the political party for you…

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/01/ministers-face-tory-revolt-over-plans-to-criminalise-rough-sleeping

I think they'd go down well with you lot in general.

They've got Rwanda, great slogans, and now they're anti-homeless too.

Tell me, what are your thoughts on 'welfare scroungers'?

When they get booted out of the UK, maybe we could import them to replace our 'native' government?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

This whole thing is crazy.So if we send the AS back up North on a bus. What stops them just walking back ?

The country is now looking into a potentially horrific bleak future.

Am I reading into this too much or did leo jump ship because of this?

Oh and where is O Gorman he should be in front of tv camera every day

Post edited by SaoPaulo41 on

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

Honestly, with Man made climate change set to make vast tracks of land uninhabitable for Humans within a few decades, I think this influx of Asylum Seekers is only the tip of the iceberg we in the West are going to face very soon.

It is going to need extremely drastic changes, some forecasts are for 1 billion people fleeing to the West. We simply can not support that extra amount of people.

I understand and empathise with those who want a humane solution that doesn't increase suffering, however I think we are long past that stage. Europe is going to have a monumental challenge ahead of it, our current leaders are not for for the task, as it is going to make them Monsters.

What we see now is not even a warm up, and already we in the West are failing.

I'm not sure that living on a tent on Mount Street, with the city centre rats running about the place, is the definition of being "untouchable". It's hardly the position of people who have some great hold on power or authority is it?

The Gardai could chase them yes, but to where? Where else could they be chased to where you wont just complain that the Gardai shouldn't chase them from there too? Or more of the Derek Blighes don't appear to protest their presence?

I'm all for building facilities to house asylum seekers rather than have them languishing in tents on the streets. But in the absence of that it seems odd to suggest that they are somehow lording it over us from their tent....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Who would people vote for?

Mass independents in government wont last - too much infighting will eventually happen.

SocDems/PBP would be a laughing stock

SF just as bad as the current shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I never mentioned aid?

I think we need to start focusing on how wealth flows from the west to fund corruption in the global south, similar to what we've done with terrorist organizations.

It's not just me who thinks it's very much in our best interests.

https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/equality-vital-for-future-growth-imf-5952644/

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭ECookie13

I can't see why we should go building facilities for asylum seekers when no one forced them to come here. They know what awaits them here, yet still are coming and we know why.

Yet most of the next generation of our future of legitimate skilled workers i.e. young students/graduates, can't get accommodation or housing in the cities without paying an arm and a leg, thus forcing a mass exodus of young workers abroad. The housing crisis needs these resources first. Lest we mention the healthcare and old age pensioner facilities that are in bad need.

These need to be the focus of new infrastructure, not building facilities for the economic migrants. Harsh but it's a reality for the future of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Remember those who tried to cross the wall in East Berlin for thirty years?

That's where this will eventually lead to as governments will be overthrown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

How do you send that message?

Who do you vote for?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

The covid dollar has been replaced by the refugee dollar.

Public money into private hands. Once you start to see it you cant unsee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yep. Even if they are returned to the north, they will be on the next bus back again.

Even with checks at the border, they will be back on the next bus.

There is no way, under any policy, short of an enormous unified worldwide effort to clamp down on global travel, where you are going to see an end to people arriving in this country as illegal migrants — or refugees or asylum seekers. You say "we know why" in your post ...well…the same logic applies here. Many people risk life and limb for the opportunity to try to make a life for themselves in the developed world — a tent on Mount Street is not going to deter them. We know why. The numbers might change from time to time, tougher policy might keep it lower for longer, but it's never going to stop for any sustained period of time.

So yeah, you don't necessarily need to build facilties to hold these people — but having somewhere to house them is preferable to them being in tents in the city centre and apparently putting them in other buildings around the country is bringing Ireland to ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭keithb93

Yes, because the West has done great work in controlling terrorism around the world…

It is not our responsibility to fund anti corruption activities in third world countries. We send enough money already and the generosity is taken advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭boetstark

Was funxtioning just fine up until the winds of change blew down through africa.

A pastoral people were overnight deemed competent to manage the affairs of state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

You might think rough sleeping is ok, I don't.

The conditions at mount street are disgraceful. Hundreds of people being handed a tent and left to pitch up outside the IPA office with no sanitary facilities is wrong. Anyone making an application or waiting for a decision should at least be in a place with basic facilities and not on the public road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The situation is not as bleak as some make out. We are not helpless.

At the end of the day we are a small island on the west coast of Europe. With co-operation from our friends up North and the will to stand up for our own citizens, any government here could radically stem the arrival of migrants. We've only a small number of airports and about 5 ferry terminals to monitor on the entire island. No one is going to be crossing in small boats to Ireland.

Of course, this means reviewing & repealing our commitments to various agreements and treaties but that's par for the course. Nothing is ever written in stone and there forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Fotish

You say that you are all for building facilities for Asylum Seekers ?
    The problem is ,the more facilities that you build , the more Asylum Seekers that will come, where does it stop.

There are 229 million people in Nigeria, what % of this population would you like to build facilities for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭boetstark

The never ending poor me sob story. Its raining in ireland since last July , lets blame Britain.

Grow a pair and face up to the fact that ireland since decades agi has been run by school teachers , farmers and parish pump opportunists.

That would be a good starting point to sorting out the s#it show that is the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Knife attack in the tent site outside Irish times offfice last night. Irish times also running with it, but behind paywall

https://gript.ie/man-seriously-injured-in-homeless-tent-stabbing-outside-irish-times-office/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The DM.. shaping opinions of Brexiteers all over the UK….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭twinytwo

The problem is the hardcore in the DUP et al would block any attempt at such a move (assuming its even possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Of course they're not lording it over anyone from a tent. But I don't understand why they are allowed to pitch tents outside businesses, workplaces, near peoples homes. They were offered alternative accommodation but turned it down to go back go mount street. Why is that allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Step 1 of any competent immigration policy should be to get rid of the ridiculous “leave to remain” nonsense. No government minister should be over-riding a courts decision that a person has no legal right to remain here.

Well I don't know — I guess I'm confused by this thread sometimes as it seems that no matter what path is followed, the country is apparently an open door hotel for the entire world's impoverished.

As it stands, there are tents on Mount Street ...which people are complaining about. But we can't put those people in hotels because that destroys the community. And we can't put them in any other vacant building anywhere else in Ireland because that means we are destroying that community. And we can't put them in a facility because that means more will come.

So apparently the best thing to do is create the first example in human civilisation where an economy open to the world and benefiting from good travel links across the globe manages to end illegal migration forever and also perpetually avoids any circumstance where refugees ever appear on the island and therefore there isn't a single room or bed in the State ever required to be given to anyone other than people born in Ireland, legal migrants and tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

You aren't reading too much into it. I said it weeks ago the government know what's coming in the election and they are jumping ship. Harris was too thick to see it coming the cute feckers Coveney and Paschal stood aside and let him be the fall guy. Make no mistake Leo Varadkar has destroyed our beautiful little island.

Advertisement