Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,574 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm guessing the real issue could be asylum seekers already in Britain who are concerned at the Rwanda policy.

On a separate note I can't see how McEntee's position is tenable after being publicly undermined by Micheál Martin.

Looks like the knives may be coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Jizique

How do they need a passport to travel within the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭slay55

so who are the people living in tents and in hotels , that you specifically referenced when suggesting we start building?

I have no issue with tent city , should be outside of Dublin and all towns and villages

Have it equipped with toilets , showers and wardens.

Oh and gated as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭nachouser

Presumably they are not UK born, so id would be required at an airport / ferry port?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Hotels have been housing homeless people and families for decades, long before they started housing asylum seekers. I also dont.believe anyone should have to live in tents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭slay55

I think that’s a little harsh. What could the public have done to stop this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Have got the ferry from NI to Scotland for work and family reasons and back loads of time and never once been asked for a passport or ID. Why would they ? It's an internal ferry ride in the UK. Bit like going from mainland Scotland to a Scottish Island. No idea whether loads of asylum seekers are actually using this route but it's an open crossing. I am sure you can be asked for ID or a passport, it's just never happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

One thing that has been really striking today is how willing people have been to dance along to the narrative emanating from Brexiteer politicians and commentators today — somehow suggesting we should be embarrassed. Embarrassed about what exactly?

These people have no love for us. The fact that Ireland didn't roll over for Brexit didn't sit well with them then and doesn't sit well with them now. They will use an Ireland-bashing narrative now for the very same reasons they have used a Euro-bashing narrative in the past — because the creation of overseas bogeymen hellbent on crushing plucky Britannia is a proven effective Tory strategy for painting Labour as weak against Britain's bogey enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭tom23

justice minister says one thing about 80% coming from NI and another says it’s not based on hard data.. kinda looking like we don’t have a scooby doo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

The referendum was a watershed moment , in that sense , o Gorman etc did the state some service ( accidentally) by holding said referendum

It made the Penny finally drop for a large number of people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭nachouser

Yeah, fair enough if that's the case. Just seems lax that tourists in the UK could cross over to N.I. without showing any form of ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

It made everyone realise we could say out loud what we had been browbeaten into only being allowed say privately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abilene_paradox

Do you not get a massive whiff of hypocrisy though ?? On one hand we criticize the Rwanda Policy as cruel and Britain should be honoring it's obligations under the human rights acts etc etc but when the asylum seekers come here to avoid this we want to 'return them'. Nimbyism…….

The British government are dead right , they view us as an easy mark , we'd do the same given the chance or at least I'd hope we would

The entire AS clusterfuk is an international game of pass the parcel and we are undeniably the bag holder's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

that’s not quite correct. The population is docile because we have a media that attacks anyone who speaks a modicum of sense and calls them racist/ludites/take your pick. Our planning laws have been cast aside for some leftist pandering to too many.

The referendum showed 2 constituencies that were with the government and the rest of the entire country voted as one and had the same result, a resounding no. No surprise those constituencies were home to plenty of money and mostly unaffected by the influx other than cashing in. If the Dail was any way representative, it should have reflected the same voting as the populace. But even the opposition is all for this crap.

Plenty have protested but have been demonised in the same way the few comrades in arms in this thread here keep attacking anyone that raises their head above the parapet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I'm talking about in general over many many scandals/farces

This seems to be the culmination

• Registered Users Posts: 54,002 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Fair play to Italy. In Ireland we have it bad but nothing compared to Italy, my heart goes out to them.

This Irish government needs a deterrent to stop economic asylum seekers coming and It has to a Rwanda or Albania deal. Right now what's stopping them coming?

Maybe the government was hoping sleeping in tents would be a deterrent, well more and more are coming it's not stopping them.

When you're doing absolutely **** all to deport immigrates, it's no wonder their coming in droves.

We also need harder language on this, we need none of this “fair and firm system” shite but really hard language like what the Tories are doing at the moment.

That's on us for allowing the media to brow beat us like we allowed the bishops to brow beat us fifty years ago

Irish people are slaves to appearing on the right side of respectability, happened with Covid too

I think the British Government are correct here, I don't think they have any obligation to take 'returns'. In essence no different to the French not taking 'returns' from the UK. It's why the Telegraph etc are cockahoop, it vindicates the Rwanda Policy and has the EU over a barrel as there is no way you can expect the UK to take returns back from one EU country if the EU won't reciprocate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sunjava

I really hope the State can prove me wrong but I fear we are ducked. The EU won't be coming to the rescue like they did for the financial bailout, not much incentive now. We have no intelligent, strong leaders, they are no longer bred, as is the case across most of the developed world. We don't appear to be able to do effectively ourselves, in recent years everything has been poorly managed. The operation has no brains.

Without the multinationals we'd have very little going for us. In the past we had well educated people going into politics, attracted by the salaries and prestige. Now these people are staying in legal professions where there is no shortage of easy work (compo culture) and working for MNCs who offer good salaries. Politics has lost all it's prestige and the rewards are no longer as appealing as they once were. The results is a poorly run state which is manifesting itself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

The gas thing is England is trying to deal with a load of Albanian chancers arriving too 😀.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭beeker1

Has the UK's "pint sized loser " prime minister, through his Rwanda policy inadvertently made a United Ireland more a reality than his Conservative & Unionist party could have envisaged , it's the law of unintended consequences ! Love to see how the Telegraph paper frames it , after all they called NORTHERN IRELAND a dead weight or words to that affect around the Unions neck !

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Don't think so. Just as likely that it might make Ireland eventually leave the EU and have an Irexit. Nobody knows whether this is a one off issue or whether it could conceivably spiral. Unknown territory. A conundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I find it hilarious the suggestions that we should just build houses for all these blokes sleeping on the street. Why should working people here have to fund free houses for any random that arrives pretending to be an asylum seeker (remember even the government now admit the majority aren't legitimate). If you start doing this on a large scale you will really see social unrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,574 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It shows that our relationship with the EU and the UK has become a lot more difficult and tricky to navigate through. This is the first issue post Brexit really where a UK action has a direct impact on us and the EU will not be able to do anything to help us basically because our interests conflict. We want to be able to send people back to the UK but no way will France allow the UK do the same with them.

We face the prospect of being constantly kicked around on issues like this unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hamburgham

God help the local residents. It must be horrific living beside an open toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭beeker1

The North voted 60 / 40 in favour of remain , they're business leaders & farmers know where the "gravy " comes from ! It's only an ever diminishing cohort who put their eggs in Sammy Wilsons & Jeffrey Donaldsons basket ! And I'd bet most kids would not subscribe to their "hell fire " politics , by the way I've no time for Sinn Fein either !

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scar001

Surely its time to man up.

Get rid of this ridiculous Right to Remain and start deportation flights.

McDowell was able to do it 20 years ago.

Neither the EU or UK will dig us out of this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

I've been passing it on a regular basis for months, and what shocks me the most is who didn't see this coming.

Is it senior civil servants within IPAS? Is it politicians? Or perhaps it's both.

At first, it was tents to the side of the IPO office and the back. Then they spread to the front of the IPO office. Then they spread along the street but stayed on the IPO side. Then they popped up on Grattan street, then they doubled up on Grattan street. Now they're on both sides of the road on Mount Street.

I'm not some heartless bstrd either, I don't blame the people with the tents. But who decided on a policy to continue allowing entrants, to continue making appointments for an increasing volume of people, knowing there was absolutely nowhere to put them?

Who saw the first few tents, and ploughed on with the policy as normal?

Now, we're at a point where the State on one hand-or a group of people employed by the State- have/has allowed this to happen and now, State departments need to solve the issue that was was created by State officials/politicians in the first place.

Advertisement