Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Isnt this to do with household consumption though?

households that dont spend much contribute to a low score?

Given that 1 in 8 households in Ireland are apparently net millionaires, could it be that the wealthy 12% are particularly frugal and not spending their wealth, which then creates a distored low AIC?

Either way, 1 in 8 households across the country being net millionaires has to be a sign of major wealth within the population. In Dublin it must be 1 in 6 or 7 due to house prices.

What is apparent though is that the wealth is not evenly spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dtothebtotheh

But we're only building 30k homes a year? and from what I've seen, the infrastructure to support an extra 30k homes a year isn't being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dtothebtotheh

It's completely skewed, property prices are way overvalued. GDP may be increasing, but for the average person quality of life has been deteriorating for at least the last 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Economics101

Wealth and real (purchasing power) consumption are only loosely related. Income is the annual flow of money you get, wealth is the stock of assets minus liabilities you have: two very different animals.

Much of Ireland's personal wealth is tried up in housing: (a) its price is somewhat inflated and (b) you can't all that easily consume it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The problem is that in 3rd world countries people are sadly breeding like rabbits. Some readers may take offence in this statement, sadly it's true. Look at Nigeria, close to 200 Million by now, Egypt, over 100 Million, all in not the best climates, and certainly no political stability.

If they were 20 Million in Egypt and maybe 40 Million in Nigeria they could all live well, no need to starve to death or cut down the rain forrest. But no, they have to breed like rabbits, and at every revolution, political instability and food shortages they go to somewhere in Europe, in hope that some benevolent organization feeds them and gives them a visa and tells them they are welcome to stay for however long they want.

It's just not going to work that way.

We could all live and work comfortably in this world if there wasn't such an overpopulation, especially in 3rd world countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What's their accessibility to healthcare, stable food supply, or access to sex education or indeed, to contraception and abortions as necessary? Compare apples to apples. Instead it's lazier and simpler to make a stereotype of them that 'oh, those people just breed like rabbits for no reason, cannot have them here'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Travellers in Ireland have access to all of the above yet the average traveller woman has six children

Travellers in Ireland are a routinely ostracised community, I don't think that's really a worthwhile exemplar.

One could imagine the same institutional oppression being alleged in respect of African immigrants in the future, in fact one could imagine the victim and oppression industry entering a golden age of expansion

The problem is that overpopulation in 3rd world countries lead to political unrest and excessive demands on the environment. It's pretty much like the famine in Ireland, either it's starvation or emigration. Oddly just by the potato harvest the Irish population could grow.

But African or Asian countries are facing similar issues, only it's about bigger population numbers. And then there is climate change and global warming, and that as well will produce refugees, same with political instability.

I wouldn't call it responsible parenthood if a father of 4 or 5 can't earn enough to feed his children. Children who never have a decent future anyway if they are too many of them. And nobody really wants refugees, the political left only if they don't have to pay for them and it's somebody else's money and the ones who's money they want to use are then classified as right wing.

Is it a solution? Sadly no.

Together with climate change the problem of overpopulation must be addressed. And that may lead to more political stability, and a possibility of developing 3rd world countries into more advanced societies. This will also leas to less refugees and certainly not migrant crisis after migrant crisis of transients which no country really wants.

• Advertisement

One could imagine a spaceship shaped like a ketchup bottle.

So are we saying that you imagine people will want to Other and Ostracize the "African" immigrants with stereotyping or whatever and ___? That's why they shouldn't be allowed in, to reinforce stereotypes or something or our imagined fantasizing of an "oppression industry?" I don't follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

There is quite a difference from what I have read and what I have seen.

2 neighbors, well qualified went to Australia and to get inn had to show financial ability to sustain themselves for 3 months, Provide an address and name of employer. Nothing handed to them. Yes we can say they were economic migrants but they went to contribute as the Irish did in Canada, USA and New Zealand. What we are getting is totally different. The Irish undocumented in USA are contributing to USA economy paying Tax etc which is why they are allowed stay once they keep their nose clean.

I welcome people here if they are contributing. I had surgery twice in last 3 years. On each occasion there were 4 Non national staff out of 6 working in theatre. People have no issue with this or people working in Tech or hospitality. But for Helen McEntee to say publicly on Radio we let in 4,000 who destroyed or didnt have paperwork or passports is shocking and wrong. We got €60 million from EU to take in 5,000 over a few years but what happens if these people stay? Who pays? How will we care for them later on? What happens to Irish pensions, will we have to work longer to foot the bill?

I think we have to call a halt until we have procedures to deal with people in a prompt manner, 28 days. If application fails they have to be removed from the country. We cant sustain the current levels of immigration.

Finally the violence against these immigrants is wrong. But I fear it will get worse if gov dont start acting.

In what respect are you using the term 3rd world country? Ireland has never sought membership in NATO, it's not part of the Soviet Block - Ireland is incidentally insofar as I know, not 3rd world either. Are you suggesting that overpopulation only leads to political unrest in 3rd world countries? If not why make that qualification in the statement.

Blaming fathers in "african or asian countries" (the brush has really flown far from Egypt and Nigeria now) for 4 or 5 children? It's a bit like blaming the Irish for the same during the Famine no, and missing many of the key points about contraception, sex education, family planning, and indeed, stability?

The time to address climate change and overpopulation was decades ago, the climate to preserve is gone now, and the population to address is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Are other countries letting people in with no passports?

I am using the term 3rd world countries for Africa and parts of the Middle East.

I am stating that Europe has right on the doorstep a couple of countries which are hopeless cases. They will be the source of civil unrest, corruption, revolution and possible starvation. They will also be the source where refugees will come from, and climate change will accelerate that.

It may be harsh language, or difficult to understand for some, but it needs to be addressed that one can't have so many children, on so little income to support them, and endlessly hope for compassion and benevolence.

This simply won't work that way, it's just unnatural. It also won't work to integrate or try to integrate foreign migrants and refugees who don't accept our legal structure and can't even read or write. It's also not ours to teach them that. I think such people should stay where they are.

Yes, it's harsh, yes somebody liberal or left might take offence in that opinion, but it's only for our own good and protection. Europe as a whole should first fixt it's own problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

The Irish "chancers" you talk about are allowed stay in the USA because they work hard and keep their noses out of trouble. No free accomodation, no medical cards or free travel and they dont demand stuff of american government. The are invaluable to US economy. They also went legally and just overstayed their visa. Once they step out of line they are deported which is fair enough. A lot have come home and reapplied to stay in the states which is what a lad on my football team did. He was accepted and now doing really well with his own home which he wouldn't have here. If USA wanted they could deport thousands tomorrow but dont because the Irish work.

We are a dumping ground and our politicans are being reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,358 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The moral of the story is housing should be built as national infrastructure to meet the housing needs of the country, and not left in the hands of boom bust economic cycles with property speculators and developers hoarding development land and every other land owner objecting to every development because they would harm their own property values

(not to mention all those brown envelopes floating around the tents at the galway races for decades)

Housing can be provided as a National infrastructure, a resource like transport, roads, schools etc

The model that we should be emulating is the Austrian model

in Vienna public housing is extremely well built, attractive to people from a wide income range, and affordable because they are not for profit and built to be attractive and to last.

In terms of Median Income, we're just slightly below the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 23,578 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What's the line the church is taking on this?

Its illegal under international law to refuse an asylum application on the basis that the applicant doesn't have the necessary documents to enter legally

Think of it. You're fleeing Saudi or North Korea. You apply for a passport, the King or son of the dead leader who's still the leader decides to yoink you in for re-education, and your friends and family while they're at it.

• Advertisement

Sure you do , people like you will enthusiastically allege institutional prejudice against African immigrants the same way you do about travellers ,so even African immigrants move here and ( like travellers ) have access to healthcare, contraception, family planning information yet still choose to have very large families, you will cheerfully play the systematic oppression card

I cannot address paranoid delusions about what I would do etc. in some concocted scenario. I don't know where I 'enthusiastically alleged' what you are saying I have. I can't help you argue with your imagination.

"African immigrants move here and ( like travellers ) have access to healthcare, contraception, family planning information yet still choose to have very large families"

Citation needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,192 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

We have a zero refugee policy at the moment if you're male. They won't be accommodated when they arrive here.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

Like it or lump it. But Ireland has a policy of appeasement when it comes to immigration.

There simply is no political will when it comes to deporting failed asylum seekers or people that destroy their passports.

If Ireland started deporting failed asylum seekers etc there would be mass riots in Dublin. I just dont think the Garda have the manpower to put down a riot of a couple of thousand bogus asylum seekers....

"177 people the subject of deportation orders have left State so far this year

Most deportees leave State voluntarily, says Department of Justice, with just 16 enforced deportations

"

....? Which 'failed asylum seekers' still haven't left?

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2022/10/24/177-people-the-subject-of-deportation-orders-have-left-state-so-far-this-year/

Places like Japan take virtually no asylum seekers.nothing happens to them? There is no international court that gives them a fine?

When it was pointed out to you that travellers have unmanageably large families despite having access to contraception , family planning information and healthcare, you claimed systematic discrimination was the cause there

own what you said

The point being, Japan are borderline ethnic nationalists. So are China. They don't have equality or diversity as part of their identity.

And they're vulnerable to returning to dictatorship as a result.

Maybe you'd like that though. Given how so many right wing folks love the idea of Singapore which is essentially a dictatorship

• Advertisement

I'll be honest. If asylum seekers had anything to offer us their home countries wouldn't be hell holes...

Somalia has a life expectancy of 56. They dont have any decent universities etc. No real industry or economy etc. There has been civil war for decades. Lots of people on the verge of starving to death. They have a medieval view towards women and homosexuals.

However when a Somalian comes to the West we're meant to rejoice because of "cultural enrichment" and "multiculturalism". If you're against this immigration you're obviously a "right wing extremist racist".

The whole thing is just bizarre.

Advertisement