Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Long term effect of Tesla Cars price drops on Tesla's Motors brand?

Options

Comments

There’s been a noticeable increase in the number of them on the road, so of course I was going to take a test drive to benchmark it against other electric cars (first time going electric as I said). Realistically I was never going to buy one as I think it’s an extremely ugly car, but I appreciate that’s a personal opinion.

The whole package just didn’t feel premium, which is the topic of the thread. Overall I felt they weren’t even comparing that well when compared to the Hyundai, Peugeot, and even the VW (which I wasn’t hugely impressed with either btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭eagerv

The first thing people often remark to me when in my Model 3 is that they are surprised by the nice soft plastics and quality to what they were expecting. That and the large clear screen.

I am no Musk fanboi, even though it may look like it here. But I would find it difficult to go back to a conventional car again, what ever the price..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Model 3 was originally supposed to be the $35k car in the US (when it was announced) . With the latest drop bringing the price in Ireland down to just below €44k after grant.

I was originally supposed to buy an id3 tour 5 for a little lower than that and when VW didn't come though on that order, but tried to suggest an Id4 instead, I did some mental mathematical gymnastics and bought a Model 3.

At the current prices, given the features of the Model 3, the state of public charging infrastructure and state of software updates, etc., I don't think the Tour 5 would have gotten a look in (I know you can't order them any more).

I think that's what the price does for those considering an EV. Makes Tesla an option from the start (or perhaps a second hand one at a very good price). It'll also perhaps put pressure on some of the incumbent manufacturers to shave some off their prices too.

Tesla may pick up a few extra Premium Connectivity subscribers, or those who will purchase or subscribe to EAP/FSD (I wouldnt recommend it yet in EU) and a few more using the supercharger network.

It can also put Tesla M3/MY in the picture for those who might have been considering one of the new China-based brands that are coming to Europe in a big way in the next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Whatever you think about the Tesla cars themselves and their quality (they’re shïte), I personally feel at this stage that buying one is a tacit endorsement of Elon Musk and his slithering, cosying up to the far-right MAGA crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭eagerv

Didn't Tesla produce a $35K Model 3 for a short period? Or they were going to, but wouldn't have the range of the 60kWh present model. And if you take off our taxes, import duties etc the present price probably isn't that far off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Great post, you hit the nail right on the head, hard to think of a more meaningful contributive posting on Boards in recent times.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Is that supposed to be directed at me? I’d say you’re grinding your teeth in frustration that you can’t remove my access for swearing without notice like your mob did in the Soccer forum. You’re not such a bigshot now.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ElitesTeam

No wonder was banned from the soccer forum. Get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Poor build quality you say....

Suspect your talking out of the wrong end of your body

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Could say the same buying a VW. Supporting a Nazi legacy that fueled Hitler and founded them.

You are directly supporting a company that has derived from Hitler and his antics.

That’s cool 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I took your first post be in in trolling category tbh. The comment above is more credible though.

I took a few test drives in other EVs. The original Ioniq 28 I liked, except for the look of the cloth seats in the Irish model. The leather in the UK models was much nicer. The tiny and obscured rear window turned me off that car which was a leader in its day.

Sticking with Hyundai, I also test drove the Ioniq 5 last year. I hated the interior and plastics. The car was really roomy, but was underwhelming and I didn't think the price was justified then...certainly not now.

I had ordered a Leaf 40 which I like the interior of at that price-point. It's neat and doesn't have a thousand buttons in front of you. Some manufacturers seem to think you can justify a a large price increase if you just add a few more buttons.

The i4 my SIL happens to own...I generally really like BMWs even though they aren't premium anymore, they are still a nice car. The aesthetics on the faux grille are just ridiculous. The inside just felt claustrophobic for what is a large saloon. They wasted so much space in that car it is a sin. The price....well, knock 20k off it and maybe, just maybe I would overlook the teeth.

I haven't looked at Peugeot EVs. I don't like Peugeot as cars in general. I find them to be very vanilla. Also my last work van was a very uncomfortable Peugeot and seeing the logo on a car would make me wince every morning 😄.

For me, the M3 is a great car. It performs well, it has great tech, it is super safe, well built and I can't see any cheap plastic from where I sit. The price was a bit rich to justify for me, as I tend to go with what is practical and necessary in cars, rather than what I want. I only ordered the M3 because the Leaf 40 I had ordered was delayed with no delivery date in sight and a realistic overall delay of 13 months from time of order, instead of the original 3 months I had been promised. The M3 arrived within weeks of ordering. At the current price point, I don't think there is a better EV out there and that's the truth of it.

Stay Free

Until recently, waiting times for a Tesla in most territories was circa 6 months. While this was the case, it made sense to increase prices, as they couldn't make cars any faster anyway and so the overall numbers of Teslas leaving the factory to get to customers would not have changed. It's simple supply and demand. Beef up the companies finances and plough it back into development of new factories and other projects. Now that supply has caught up with demand and because of many territories having grant schemes and tax credits outside of the previous Tesla price bracket, it would seem to make sense to reduce prices. The amount seems crazy to me in one go, but then Tesla and Musk are never shy of Global Headlines.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Ok we agree then it not providing affordable cars to the masses it's maximizing profit.

Take advantage of the market when the have massive margins and others have supply issues Tesla average delivery time I think peaked 8/9 weeks when other OEMs were at about 7 months (was the opposite in my case).

The reason for the drop is smaller orders and Chinese competition it not delivering affordable cars to the masses.

But will be interesting to see where they fit into the Car market go long forward. I would think initially of course will be a sales bounce but I don't think those sale as will be sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

There is also the possibility of an impact in the availability of PCP across the wider EV market

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Is a 45k Model 3 not affordable? Repayments of 650 a month after a deposit of 10k (or equivalent trade-in) seems very affordable to me and i'm not exactly rolling around on a mattress of cash. My colleagues spend on average 100 per week on Diesel...some considerably more. It costs me less per month to own my M3 than a colleague driving a 3 year old Golf with repayments and a fuel bill higher than 100 per week. I also bought at the higher price.

Maybe for someone doing town miles wouldn't make any sense, but for the average joe doing a couple of hours commute per day, it makes all the sense in the world imo. If you can afford to repay a Golf....you can afford to repay a Model 3.

Stay Free

Well I wouldn’t buy a VW because of their fabrication of their emissions. You might want to read about it here if you’re not aware of it:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-34324772.amp

You’re ok. I’ll read it with the covid article in the newspaper later.

Ahh ok you see the masses as the squeezed middle I would have thought a price point of around 30/35 k would be more the sweet spot the masses there were likes of MG will be aiming at.

The top two selling cars in Ireland start around that price point Tuscan and Toyota Corolla.

Also let's not pretend EV will be much more cheaper to run than an ice in all circumstances for me it is I have solar, free charging at work it is. But if your charging on the public network which many people are there is not massive savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

It's hard to know from this thread if Tesla is a car company or a political statement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jizique

Remarkable, never heard of anything similar from anyone else who ever had a problem - they really look after the fanboys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Your right, I think the first ones were available at that price.

So, taking into account the extra battery capacity and features in the models (plus 5-odd years of inflation) then €44-45k is a fair enough comparison price, I reckon

They're a car company, who make shítty cars, run by an insane alt-right megalomaniac.

Does one have to be middle class to buy a bog standard VW Golf? I wouldn't have thought so. Here's why...

Borrowing the full amount of €35k, the repayments to AIB over 5 years are just shy of €720 per month. Say they have 10k cash or trade-in for a deposit, the repayments are then reduced to a bit over €500 per month. My very non middle-class colleagues spend on average €100 per week on Diesel. Call it €400 per month. Excluding any other costs, that's €900 per month for the masses.

My own relatively short distance commute can be used as an example. I drive 70km per day or 1400km per month using a 28 day schedule. With Diesel costing €1.68/L and a generous real world MPG of 50MPG, the cost per month is over €130. So, for my measly mileage, I would be paying about €650 per month to service the loan and fuel costs.

If I bought a new Model 3 now, the repayments after a 10k deposit would be €670 per month. I typically use 60kWh per week, or around 200kWh per month for my commute. Electricity prices vary, but I believe my night rate is around 12c at present, not the cheapest, but probably average for EV owners with home charging capability. That's less than €25 per month for my commute unless my math is bad. Quadruple my commuting distance for fairness and the cost of servicing the loan and fuel is less than €770.

A Golf is what I would consider to be a car affordable for the masses. Would you disagree?

The problem is not class. The problem is a lot of people see the headline price tag and look no further. Running costs need to be considered.

I say; If you can afford a Petrol or Diesel Golf, you can afford a Tesla.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Time to put your tinfoil hat away for the night, you have been online long enough today....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Quit the bickering, this thread is about the effects of the current round of price drops on the Tesla brand. If you want to discuss the particulars of Elon Musk and the brand do so here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058275798/is-elon-musk-hurting-tesla

General reminder for posters to report, rather than engage with posts they may feel are "trolling" or deviating from the topic.

As an aside, are the price drops in the States going to be seen in other markets?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭grennscreener

I don't know where your getting your figures from on PCP for say a Tuscan that's probably top end price of affordable 37k with deposition of 13k repayments are shy of €270 Corolla will come in around 250 at a cost of 30k. Plug that into Tesla finance and that comes out at 480 now for a model 3.

Also quoting 12 c power the only plan you can get that on is energia and that's for 3 hours only at night you pay more than standard then on day, night and peak rates. 12c night rate not available now and not for a long time. Finally I've only charged my car on public network for family and leisure commute charging at home first and in a year have spent about 350 euro on public chargers.

So if buying a Tuscan or corolla more like €400 per month (with fuel) Vs around €600 ( adjusting the 13k deposit and additional leisure public charging) thats still 50% more per month for a Tesla.

Sorry still not a car for the masses I think the MG 4 & 5 will be truly the first to fit that bill really has to be at the 30k bracket for that.

• Advertisement

Energia site right now. Am I missing something?

Agree that a mid 40’s car is not a car for the masses. Not yet.

Advertisement