Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Long term effect of Tesla Cars price drops on Tesla's Motors brand?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I can type, but I also read replies. The point was you said you got lost after the first sentence but went on to write a lengthy response which was then largely irrelevant for that very reason.

80km round trip is not big mileage. I do 70km round trip and each way can be done in 30 minutes on mixed roads. I think you’ll find it’s quite an average commute.

you are still focusing on the headline price of cars rather than the monthly cost, which is fine if the car is wasted on the driveway 6 days a week, but the average car is doing regular mileage.

I think we’ve laid out our stalls and folks can decide for themselves which point makes more sense for them. I’ve backed up my points using both my figures and your figures. I’ll leave it at that. Happy motoring.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Not horrendous and I'd go as far as to say I wasn't insulted! I won't be taking it up, as I have stronger offers elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

But of a read but interesting points going I to some of the longer term impacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

Very good read. A few things I took away from it

The author seemed to be salivating from the start at this price cut as it does "prove" him right about Tesla's strategy. So he was biased from the outset

He doesn't realise we are in a digital world and Musk understands the importance of a good meme better than any other car manufacturer (who is the ceo of Toyota?BMW?). That's why Tesla has such a hardcore base of fanatics who were willing to overpay very high prices for their car from the start and go to war with anyone who says it is just a car company or refuse to accept they look like average priced cars (forget about performance, which it excels in)

He doesn't talk about interest rates and what that has done. And when they are kept high what that will do, to all manufacturers.

He is right to say that his acquisition of Twatter is a huge distraction and I would imagine every Tesla owner right now wishes he concentrated more on cars than politics (and alienating the first followers of his) But he doesn't acknowledge the impact on Tesla (as in Musk's social credit) if he turns Twatter into a success and somehow incorporates the dog coins into that also. In 5 years time Tesla owners could be saying it was a genius move that enabled the company to expand their revenue stream and kill it's competition. I find that more likely to not happen than happen but it is far from a non zero chance

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

I had two boardsies offer me their M3SRs. First a 1 year old M3SR for the "best price" of 44k. Another offered a 2 year old M3SR for 42k. I feel for people that bought recently and got hit with big depreciation but these dreamers take others for fools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,480 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes both of those now unfortunately have some realisations to do. Their cars arent worth that. As a 222 M3 RWD owner I have the same issue!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ironically the 221 M3 RWD will be worth more in some folks minds because of the USS being included

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Yep , they do up until November ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Oakes

I wonder if persons who bought online (took delivery/completed contract) a Tesla or indeed another car looked to see if they can avail of cooling off rights. You know, return the car within 14 days get your money back in order to buy the Tesla at a cheaper price? But that clock is running out. Still, some may have tried it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭usernameunknown

Tesla don't get enough recognition for the speed and performance of the cars across the range. Not many cars on an Irish road will beat a Tesla off the mark. I appreciate its not everyones cup of tea but it's impressive all the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I agree. And that’s one part of the package that would make me pick it over an ID4 for example. Even the basic 300bhp SR is 100bhp more than the ID4/3, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I’m not so sure. It’s very hard to separate any Tesla discussion out from their performance. I’d argue that people overlook an awful lot for that advantage.

If that’s what you’re into, that’s what’s done. Other people overlook other things to get a car that suits them, whether that be someone that over looks design to buy a Leaf 24 (i had one) to get a cheap EV, or over looks performance to get the bigger space inside (ID4).

I over looked the rattles and tin can construction of my Hondas in order to get that Type R, comfort to run my EVO5, MPG to run my V8 X5 etc etc

People buy what they like. I would walk past a brand new i4 to a year oLd Tesla because I like the minimalist nature of the car, it was the same in my i3.

I’d agree, Tesla speed is plastered over YT for years, 0-100 is now a headline stat for all EVs due to Tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Would a leaf be of similar performance? I'm wondering is the performance an electric thing or a Tesla thing

Post edited by The J Stands for Jay on

I assume you mean Leaf?

A leaf has 150 bhp. Not bad for a run of the mill daily boring family car. Although a 520d has just under 200 so it’s nothing impressive.

The most basic Tesla has 300bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭usernameunknown

In General Electric cars have good acceleration. It’s just another step above the rest in a Tesla. It’s by no means a reason to buy Tesla over another car. My point is they have it nearly as standard in Tesla. Even the ID4 is nowhere near close to Tesla model y which is comparable in size

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

I think this is much much less relevant in today’s world where speed and fast acceleration are known to be killers. The roads and habits are very different to 20 years ago, even 10 years ago.

Sure it is important/nice for a cohort of people but isn’t something the masses have as a priority

That applies to ice and ev

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Pretty much any electric car is going to feel quick going from 0-60km/h. I used to love leaving Audi's on the line at traffic lights in my e-Up! and that only had an 80hp motor. The instant access to torque makes them feel quick at legal speeds. Don't just look at the pure horsepower when comparing vehicles, acceleration is a function of power and weight. Whilst you'll look at an EV and see figures like 200hp and think sounds fast, if the car is a chonker it's still only going to do 0-100km/h in 10s.

• Advertisement

Leaf will wheel spin all over the place, as will a lot of the other EVs if you floor it, Tesla has much better traction control, mine never gets wheel spin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Had the same on Ioniq 28, wheels regularly spin in the wet at T junctions etc.. Model 3 will only spin if you really floor it in the wet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

It €67000 here it want to be a good price drop here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Not all that surprising considering the prices that they're charging for them. I wonder will they change the price here in Ireland. The base model starts at 70K. That's in black with manual seats and no glass roof. Another 3.5K if you want to upgrade those.

For the same price you can get a well spec'd VW ID4 GTX with max pack and pano roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭creedp

Its the reason I would buy a Tesla as I'm not a fan of their looks and do not like their minimalist interiors, hate having to use screens on the move. Certainly, if the current price cuts are maintained I would consider an M3 in a year or 2. I'd say a lot of younger drivers are waiting with bated breath to get their hands on used M3s purely for that reason. Should be fun and games when that time comes around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Id imagine the level of Tesla price cuts at the moment is to get certain variants\models under the limit of global government grants and incentives

When the grants disappear the only price they have to beat is their competitors

These price cuts are temporary, they are flooding inventory and any pre-lift castings and reversing missing Q4 sales targets. They will increase prices shortly, supply will be curtailed and for these reasons no other EV manufacturer has engaged in a price war as it's temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Completely mispriced from the start, competing with Jaguar I pace and Audi Etron which was never going to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Do you work in strategy with Tesla? If not then please don't present your speculation as facts as it muddies the water for everyone here trying to make decisions.

Advertisement