Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 Goals/Targets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

So didnt make it, didnt even get a PB. 41:50 or so. But no speedwork done this year at all so not too disappointed. Cork in 6 weeks so not sure when I will get another 10k race in as after that its DCM training

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭basillarkin

did my first ever half marathon on sat in longford, went under 1:55 chip time, good event and well ran, struggled from 14km to home but got around, a nice 5.2km loop, it did rain for majority of race but delighted with the time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Did a 10k TT last night. I came back to check what I'd said in January quite surprised at what I'd said. I set the bar fairly high for without realising it. I set off thinking it was 35:30 I said I'd break. Previous best was 35:44. Was happy I was on course into the last km but for some reason I burst myself in that last K anyway and the watch stopped at 34:57. squeak

TLDR:

1. Break 1,500 PB (4:26) - Ran a 4:29 in a tactical race. It's there I'm sure if I get the right race.

2. Sub 2:08 800m - No efforts yet

3. 9:40 3k (9:46) - No efforts yet

4. Break 5k PB (16:31) - One parkrun (17:24) and a badly measured 5 K race so far but the plan was always for the Bob Heffernan 5k to have a crack at this. Tune in next week.

5. Higher mileage than 2022. Just about ahead at the moment. No major illness/injuries. Touch wood.

6. Sub 35 10k in a TT or race. 34:57 in a TT. Race predictor predicts a 16:45 5k off that. We'll see...

7. Stick with EIM for at least 6 months. Nearly at the 6 month mark and I've not done a single Long slow run all year. I've done maybe a half dozen easy recovery runs without intervals (and I'll be doing one today after the TT last night) but the rest has been EIM with my own speed based workouts added in.

Post edited by Dubh Geannain on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Brief update to see where we are :-

1. A couple of 20:0X in St Annes parkrun back in Early April, but that is a slow course. May have a pop at Popintree as at is a pretty fast course and have a couple of low 19's from early last year...
    2. Done. Picked for the M50 C team, little to work on during the race but still a great day out.
    3. Will have to wait for the Raheny Summer Series for a 2 miler, but difficult to see this with the fitness at the moment.
    4. Done. 33:05 racing against my son on the day, who beat me on the day, still great stuff...
    5. Nope. Trim was 68m, and Battle of Clontarf was 69m. Probably going to give Kilbeggan a miss this year, as I've done it a couple of times and need something else. Maybe Race series ?
    6. In September...
    7. Difficult to see at this stage, scraped it last year.
    8. Again difficult to see at this stage, but still 6 months out...

• Advertisement

I like to check in around halfway through the year and update. I was probably too giddy to update last week due to the excitement about the upcoming 5k but should have waited instead of updating and then baiting "tune in next week" 😀. So apologies for the quick follow up post. I'll call this

Official half year update

1. Break 1,500 PB (4:26) - Ran a 4:29 in a tactical race. It's there I'm sure if I get the right race.

2. Sub 2:08 800m - No efforts yet

3. 9:40 3k (9:46) - No efforts yet but I covered 3k in around 9:42 during the 5k race, so if I keep in shape I'll have a go at this at some point.

4. Break 5k PB (16:31) - 16:14. Was very comfortable for the first 3k and covered the first 4 at almost exactly 16:30 pace. A final k of 3:02 got me most of the time differential. Finished in a heap so I'd nothing left.

5. Higher mileage than 2022. Just about ahead at the moment.

6. Sub 35 10k in a TT or race. 34:57 in a TT.

7. Stick with EIM for at least 6 months. Pretty much at the 6 month mark and I've not done a single Long slow run all year. I've done maybe a half dozen easy recovery runs without any form of surge or interval. Looks like it's worked out for the longer distances (10 mile PB of over a minute earlier in the year, plus the 10k and 5k mentioned), so very interested to see what I can do over the summer months for the shorter stuff. A touch of PF in both feet but I'm optimistic I'll be okay with lots of attention paid to managing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

3x down now.

Ran 18:47 at Leixlip 5k last night for the dream sub 19, with thanks to @scotindublin for an awesome pacing job.

New pbs -

5k - 18:47

5 mile - 32:54

Half - 1:29:37

Broke the 10k and 10 mile times in that half, but will hopefully do it officially over the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Started running again in the New Year, had set a goal to of ~15K with elevation. Initially built to a circuit up towards Deer Park/Goatstown, later did Killiney Hill from Dalkey handy enough (145m). 3 weeks ago headed for Crone Wood to check out the WW and did a 9K with 380m , first time trail running and I loved the running surface and the downhills. I like that if you do low to high you essentially have 3/4 of the work done at the half way point and can have a strong finish. Went the last 2 Saturdays and today did 13km and 550m, essentially running the 1st qtr, walking the 2nd, and running back apart from one steep down and up valley. Brought the walking poles and they helped. Hopefully the fitness improves so less walking , the views are great so the time flies. Maybe take in Djouce later in the summer, currently just run by it lol.

Ive only been running once a week so far but aim to get a second local one in even if only a 5K,

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Update on this:

Marathon training is still full steam ahead even with the new arrival. If anything the heat has been a bigger obstacle over the last week or so.

5km PB is down to 21:16 but I had a 10km race last week and I managed to get home in 44:14.

I’m following the Hanson method for the marathon and I’m feeling pretty good for the race itself so hopefully I can keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭CR 7

Managed to tick one more of these off, with 2:50:xx in Cork yesterday.

I've only had one more attempt at the 5k since(16:02) in the middle of the last heavy week of marathon training, so I need to focus on that now after recovering.

Charleville half will probably give the best chance to try the half time.

The Valencia marathon in December if I can stay fit should be a decent opportunity to get into the 2:40s, with less hills and hopefully cooler weather than cork.

And I think I have been doing better with training structure, helped by following one of the Advanced Marathoning training plans for the last few months.

• Advertisement

4 out of 4 now with an almost 3 min pb in the 10k at Dunshaughlin.

A tiny bit bitter-sweet though. Came agonisingly close to a sub 40.

Chip 40:03

Bonus improvement on that 5 mile time, went through that marker in 32:23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I'm a bit late to the party for this one but I haven't been on here in years.

I have a very simple goal. Get back to running one day a week, basically a couch to 5k again. I already do 8 or 9 grappling sessions a week but haven't run in years. It's probably 7 years since I ran regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭marathon2022

The couch to 5k is perfect to start again. Good luck and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Got this done today, 2:12:32. I had a somewhat arbitrary goal of 2:15 so pretty happy with it!

With it set a PB for 10k (1:02:00) and 10 mile (1:40:51)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Good on ya, that was some going as it was tough enough.

I finished with a time of 1:55:51 very happy with that. Great Scenic location and was very lucky with the weather, it was quite windy, but the rain mostly kept away. Went with 2hr pacer but lost her into the distance a few times. Eventually caught up again and found it easy to follow once I caught up. I passed her at the halfway point and walked a few times promising myself I would run when she passed me. However, she never did and finished in under 2 hours. All in all a good run and a boost of confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Great job! Yeah beautiful location and seemed well run. 10 mins before the start line the weather was pretty bad, but as you said we got lucky as during the race, other than the wind, it was pretty ideal. Definitely needed to do a bit more hill training!

I only passed the 2:15 pacer back down at the beach (last 400m?), she had me worried for large parts of it that I was making a mistake with my pacing, as I couldn't figure out how I hadn't caught her before that!

5 out of 5 with a PB at Frank Duffy 10m.

67:32 for an 8min 43 sec 'official' improvement. Was very soft though, set in 2018. In and around a minute better than when I went through 10 at Bohermeen.

Only Amsterdam marathon left to go to fulfill the goal.

Post edited by Lazare on

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kd82

Well done Lazare on the 10 Mile. Good to look back on these.

Managed #2(Raheny5), #3(Trim10) but sickness scuppered #4(HM) in Bohermeen. Missed a few weeks leading into it. Hamstring injury messed up the summer plans for 5k/10k Dunshaughlin tilt and now I've changed tact and doing first marathon after saying I never would 😂. Still, hopefully I can achieve #4 along the way and I guess add a marathon to the goals. If I survive I will try and still go for goals #5/#6 at Annagassan 10k and Jingle Bells 5k perhaps but would be down the priority now.

Original goal for 2023 was to PB at 5k, 5m, 10k, 10m, half, and full.

Managed to complete the set today and achieve the goal with an 11 min PB at Amsterdam, finishing in 3:15:47.

Also snuck a PB at the mile in there somewhere 😊

A satisfying year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Wow, that is a year to be proud of for sure. Many congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

I'd better close off my own, reasonably attempted goal.

Blew the absolute doors off about two months into the goal. Hit the 200m mark, so delighted with that. Tried 3, 400m races in a week (scheduling) and absolutely ruined myself.

Still kinda dealing with a trapped nerve, as a result of the training and commutes in the car to and from training.

Great to see everyone's updates. Well done to all who achieved and strove to achieved.

So, coming back to these now. I am slightly injured so wont be racing any more.

5k - Break 20 mins. PB 20:40 - This was a success. In fact I did it twice. I did 19:41 in February and 19:24 in August.

10k - Break 40 mins. PB 40:50 - This was not a success. Only raced one 10k, 41:49. Will go again next year

Half - 1:31. PB 1:32 - This was not a success. Only did 2 Halfs and I raced neither, I paced a mate in both. 1:40 & 1:39

Full - Sub 3:30. PB 3:39 - So this was a success. 3:26 in DCM.

Overall I am delighted with the year. Sub 3:30 was the main goal and I did it. I also ran over 1000 miles for first time ever in a year, in fact I am up to 1110 at the minute with 73,000 feet of elevation

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭winstonia

My only goal was to break 2000k and finished it a few weeks back. Not bad since I had surgery, Achilles issues and now pain on the ball of my left foot.

Joys of running..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Probably time to Review the year:-

1. Didnt get that sub 20min 5K, and not going to happen now. No speed work was to blame this year. Ill roll this same target into next year, and pretty confident it can be nailed by Easter 24.
    2. Ran in the road relays in the M50 (nearly M60) C team, and didn't finish last so that a result. Still it was a balls out race and never to be underestimated, but always savoured.
    3. Sub 12 min for 2 miles... Nope, but happy with the summer series, in getting down from 13min on first race to 12:16 for the last one.
    4. Sub 33:30 for 5 miles. Done in the raheny 5 and, Done again last week in the Joe Noonan Xmas club race with a 33:18.
    5. Sub 67 for 10 miles. Nope, and as above didn't run kilbeggan this year, but if I had couldn't has seen that time anyway.
    6. Didn't run Sligo this year, from memory wasn't feeling great that week and didn't want to get a cold or injury with a non important race.
    7. Didn't run Fairyhouse either, see above. Went into a bit of a downer for a few weeks around September, (biggest mileage month) maybe to blame ?
    8. Dublin Nope - 3:26, but in my defense, I did run DCM really easy as I didn't want to get as sick as last year. Target was probably possible, but still really enjoyed the DCM experience this year, as opposed to being broken for 1-2 days after, with a slightly faster time.

So generally id give myself a "D -" for this years running. Age is def a factor in some of the missed targets (shorter faster stuff), and some other targets that are a bit to lofty. Anyway ill have a think over the Xmas and see where I'm going to head for 2024 running year TTFN...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Time to review my goal targets set earlier in the year! Very happy to say it's been a very good year running wise😊 I have stayed very consistent, even with the motivation being at an all-time low currently, but I'm still consistently running, which I think builds a lot of mental strength & resilience. So far I have ran 2,180.6 Miles this year, very happy with that. Thankfully I only had one minor blip injury wise with my calf a few weeks before Amsterdam, 1st & last time to get dry needling 🤣 some rest, dry needling & running on the grass greatly helped with this & I was lucky to run my marathon pain free.

I had gotten PB's in my 5M, 10M, Half marathon & 10K. Unfortunately the 5K did not happen but I did go sub 20 in Kilcock which I was thrilled about!

My main goal was to try go Sub 3:20 in Amsterdam so that I might qualify for Berlin but then my age category GFA was changed to 3:30 which meant I already had a qualifying time from my Dublin marathon 2022. With the pressure off I completely blew it out of the park running a time of 3:17 for Amsterdam, a time I am so so proud of, not just the time, it was honestly the perfect marathon running my fastest 5K at the end & a negative split of 4mins 32secs!!

I received my confirmation email for Berlin making this year a truly special year for me with my running😊

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year🎅

Amazing running there

Bula bus Lainey 👊👏🙌

A cracking year from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭marathon2022

In contrast to the remarkable feats accomplished by Lazare, Laineyfrecks, Event, and the other outstanding individuals among us, I find myself updating with a hint of self-reflection. I can't see myself running over any finish lines in the time that remains so here it is ......

5k - No race

10k - Still no race

10 miles - Nope

Half marathon - Let's just say, no race

Full marathon - Ah, Boston in 3.18!

Clocking in at 1700+ miles...

This year encapsulated the quintessential runner's journey, dreams aplenty when I posted on Jan 19th, with one grand achievement. Boston Marathon—check. I bought the jacket, displayed the medal, and still smile at the memory. I also entered a new age category by turning 50! happy with that if Im being honest

Perhaps in the year ahead, I'll aim for those personal bests. Until then, here's to more laughter, fun, and maybe a few more strides toward the actual finish lines!

Happy Christmas and Happy new year you shower of legends

Advertisement