Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 Goals/Targets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I ran 6k on Saturday, this is my longest run in about 8 or 9 years (i basically didn't run in the mean time til last June), so I have plenty of ground to make up, but I'm determined to get it done. I'm currently runnings 3 days a week, so I have two 5ks done already this week, will do at least 6k again on Saturday. Pace is very slow (~7 per Km) but I'm not too worried about that side of things for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭Butterbeans

Very good. And you're dead on, I wouldn't worry at all about pace for now, running easy is what you should be doing and if it feels hard, dont be afraid to slow down further.

Stick at the 3 days for now with your two 5ks and a longer run...you could increase the longer run by 1km per week (and some weeks repeat the previous weeks distances-with no increase).

Once you're feeling more comfortable you can increase one of your midweek runs and/or add another run in, all gradual.

Once you start a plan for the HM you can look at what pace you might be able for, most plans will have some paced runs and speed work built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Jog out to howth. That 10k loop will be the perfect training for Wicklow.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭basillarkin

only found this page recently, new to running since September of last year and i could barely manage running 3km, very unfit and extremely overweight, 5km target 20-21mins, 10km target under 50mins by years end. 5km best achieved end of Jan this year @ 23:30 10km 54:50.

Dont have a running background but have played numerous sports up to my 40s, age mid 40s now and still carrying 10kg from where ideally i would like to be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What I found is doing longer runs helped me be faster in my shorter runs. Try working your way up to 15km and your 5k and 10k times should improve quite a bit. Also, losing that 10kg will definitely help your speed massively. I've been an on and off runner for years. Whenever I would start back again I would also start off more or less the same speed and distance and followed a similar trajectory of increasing those over time for the first few months (obviously volume of mileage affected it too). Then I lost about 10kg. Once I started back running after that it was a different story. I started off being able to run a bit longer and a bit faster and I felt better doing it. Not only that but I improved much, much quicker. I expected an improvement but not that much. It was very suprising.

Best of luck with the progress and losing the weight.

thanks, on average run 4 times a week, an easy, an interval, a recovery and i do between 12km and 15km long run once a week at abot 6:20 per km pace now, i have started doing strides/sprints aswell of 200/250m on my easy day now aswell. Hopefully on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Have made huge strides with consistency since late December.

Averaging about 50km per week at the moment.

I signed up to a marathon last November but we have a baby due next month so I’m not sure if that target will be met.

So far this year I’ve knocked my 5k PB down to 21:49 so I’m hoping to keep chipping away at that before the year’s end.

I have a 10k race coming up next week and at the moment my PB for that distance is 49:10. I hope to crack into the low 48s.

Another goal is to avoid injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Brief (and delayed Update). Ran 33:10 in the Raheny 5. That target was probably a bit (lot ) soft anyway, so strike one that off.

A couple of 20:10's in StAnnes parkrun, so that one is still out there, but pretty confident that maybe a trip out to Popintree in May with a few of the fast lads will see a 19:30-40.

Bohermeen coming up Sunday, but I cant see any way of getting sub 1:30 there, to early in the year, and a tough course anyway, maybe 1:34 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Great 👍 idea. Motivational posting. Will really enjoy watching all of these goals coming in and the determination to reach them.

Quarter-Miler 42 year old who should know better at this stage 😜

Working full time and with a little baby but I'm determined.

1. 100m, sub 12.

2. 200m, sub 25.

3. 400m, sub 54**

4. 600m. Sub 1.30

** If I run sub 54, I'm going to enter Euro Masters Athletics Championships in Italy in September.

Able to train about 4 times a week, and do home weights with a nice little squat rack set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Going well so far.

Ran 32:54 at Raheny for a 50 sec pb.

Ran Bohermeen this morning in 1:29:37 for a 4min 7 sec improvement.

Had a crack at the sub 90 and it worked out.

Broke that 10k time today too which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

That's brilliant, I'm looking for a half marathon plan.

What was the one you used?

Cheers.

I followed the boards Grads plan 10k - Half, created by @E.coli

There's a link to them in the OP of the Grads thread..

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058271128/boards-dcm22-graduates-thread-a-deeper-understanding/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭CR 7

• Sub 15:30 5k (currently 16:05)
    • Sub 75 Half (77:30)
    • Sub 3h marathon (3:03)
    • Attempt 2:4X marathon(only once the previous goal has been safely achieved...)
    • Below my age (34) for 10k(got this one in February)
    • And a more abstract goal is to try and put a bit of structure to my training. I've only been meeting the overall mileage targets for the last few months and not doing anything specific, bar one night a week on the track with my club.
    Post edited by CR 7 on

I had a 10k race this morning and managed to finish in a time of 45:51.

Very happy with that considering it was a tough course with an absolute b*stard of a hill that seemed to go on forever.

Seeing the progress really does give great confidence.

Ran my first ever offical race today, a tough 8km with a hard hill halfway through, delighted to have broken the 40mins, came in at 39:50.

So after not running since Wednesday I had my long run early this morning and decided to go a bit faster than normal, ended up running the longest i have ever ran while also getting to half marathon distance in a time of 1hr 59mins, training is going well overall and delighted with the distance achieved this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Managed to cross of 2. in Dunboyne earlier with a 34:17. Will hopefully have a good crack at 1. over the next couple of months although the sub 16 is a much more daunting target.

Incredible, well done. I was checking out a friend's result earlier and it looks like you and him had a duke out to the line. He ran 34:16

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

@Lazare Yeah, he passed me on the final lap of the track. I was dying a horrible death at thay stage, felt like I was running in sand. We'd been in a group most of the way around that splintered in the last couple of kms. Red and yellow vest I think? Strong runner.

• Advertisement

You left nothing out there then. Superb.

Yep, that's him, runs for Tallaght AC.

He's a serious athlete alright. Like yourself. 💪

Thought I would give an update on this. I was aiming for under 2 hours and managed to do it in 1:55 so very happy with that. The hills were pretty tough. Running the Khyber pass in my training runs helped but not enough. I enjoyed it though. It was my first proper race (only done a few parkruns before) and it was a great atmosphere at it especially with a big crowd at the finish line.

Next up is the Clontarf half marathon in July. The aim is under 1:50 for that.

Training has been poor last couple of weeks but ran a 10km training run in 51:39 last sunday, so goal of getting under 50 is achievable but need to get back to regular training. Did a 5km race today and ran a pb of 23:15 was hoping to get under 23 on what was an easy course but happy enough.

Update:

Ran a 5km PB last week of 21:27.

Delighted with that as it’s another 30 seconds or so shaved off.

Really hoping to keep the consistency going with the mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

So so start to the year, abdominal and heel pain being the main disruptors.

Abdomen is fine now and the heel is getting better, flirting between a 1 to 4 out of 10 regarding pain. It had been 4 to 8.

Target races and times:

Dunshaughlin in June, sub 40 - 272 runners did it here last year, sounds like the right train.

Valencia Half Marathon in October, sub 90 - recently ran 93 mins in Berlin off poor training and quite a few pounds heavier.

Valencia Marathon in December, sub 3'10 - Only the one marathon this year and its the primary goal for 2023. I ran 3'18 here last year on silly training/racing but have since figured a couple of things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

Thought I had done this already. This is me for this year

5k - Break 20 mins. PB 20:40

10k - Break 40 mins. PB 40:50

Half - 1:31. PB 1:32

Full - Sub 3:30. PB 3:39

And to update, I have gone Sub 20 in the 5k.

New PB is 19:41

That was quick 😄

Congrats

10k race next wednesday. I am not sure I am in shape to go Sub 40 if I am honest but I am going to go out for it, lets see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

My goals this year are simple😉PB in every distance, stay consistent & injury free (What we all want!!) After the start I had to 2022 with Covid & my injury I really just wanted to also be able to race a fair bit from the very start of the year, thankfully that happened this year & not only have I PB'd in all races so far (touch wood, she touches her head) I have gained a good bit of confidence in my racing which feels so amazing!

5M - Previous PB 34:10 - New PB 33:44

10M - Previous PB 1:12:43 - New PB 69:55

Half Marathon - Previous PB 1:33:01 - New PB 1:31:58

10K - Previous PB 43:28 - New PB 41:40

5K - Previous PB 19:33 - New PB TBC???

Marathon - Previous PB 3:24:07 - New PB TBC???

I am currently training for Leixlip 5K on 19th of May, the day after I enter the O45 age category so really hoping it's a good race, time will tell🙂

Advertisement