Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Cricket 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Absolutely right, the fell apart against swing bowling in New Zealand, ran ghem close in one test, but outplayed completely in other games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Super effort over the past two days with the bat all the while remembering that these guys are playing in relatively unfamiliar conditions at over 30 degrees heat and also with very little experience of red ball cricket.

The mindset to go from limited overs cricket to this must have been quite difficult to adjust and Campher for example has probably come nowhere close to facing over 200 deliveries in one innings before. So, to have that mindset and concentration throughout the team for almost 2 days was a superb effort.

Unfortunately the pitch currently is too easy for batting and Sri Lanka should have the same joy that Ireland got in their innings. Ireland without Little don't have any x-factor with the ball and nothing to get the Sri Lankans worried about. The trouble with this is that if Sri Lanka post a similar score and get to 500 or so, that will leave Ireland with a difficult second innings on probably Day 4, where they can't win and the pitch may start turning then which would make things a whole lot different.

Ireland somehow need to prise wickets out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, it has the potential to be a very intriguing match.

Sri Lanka dominating this session at 165/0, need to apply the brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭wicorthered

One maiden in 46 overs. That's just not good enough.

The selectors have made the mistake lots of teams make in Asia. They've loaded up on spinners simply because the pitch is spinning. They haven't considered the fact that the spinners they picked aren't good enough and won't take wickets regardless of how much spin is on offer. They should've went with another seamer and tried to keep some control. Humphries and White are just cannon fodder and offer no threat.

• Advertisement

Karunaratne out just on the lunch break after an opening stand of 228, 6 Sri Lankan tons, and they have only lost 7 wickets in the series

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭InsideEdge

And where do you think we could conjure up this extra seamer? Josh Little is playing in the IPL and Barry McCarthy is injured, either of these two may have made a difference but they are not available. I find it pretty incredible that there is so much negative comment on this team. The simple fact is that we don't play multi-day cricket in this country and having a team that can be competitive at Test match level with so little experience is a bonus, particularly when playing in Asian conditions.

I'm old enough to remember when Sri Lanka were given Test status and it took them a long time to work themselves up to a position where they could consistently compete with the other Test nations. A quick look at the stats show that Sri Lanka took 14 Test matches and nearly four years of playing before they won their first game.

I'm sure the vast majority of people who look in here take an interest in Irish cricket and wish the team the best. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't look at each match on it's merits and discuss both the bad points and weaknesses as well as the successes.

It's clear in this innings that we have little cutting edge or threat in the bowling dept, it's not negative to point that out. And dropping catches doesn't help either. If only fan boys post just how great we are, it'd also be meaningless.

342/1 now, 150 behind

Kane who has test experience could've played. Mayes is in the squad, he could have been given a go. My point is White was picked because he was a spinner not because of performances. Nothing in his two previous games suggested he would do anything different than what he's currently doing.

Look back at my posts. Nowhere have I said they should be winning test matches. The defeat against Bangladesh was a brilliant performance. I've consistently said they need time to develop. Needing time to develop is different to picking the wrong team though. Ireland's bowling strength has always been seam bowling. Ok they won't run through Sri Lanka but maybe they'd keep it tighter and force mistakes. They should've tried something different this game

Finally times have changed from when Sri Lanka first played tests. Back then test cricket was the pinnacle. Now for most if not all teams it's an after though.

Post edited by wicorthered on

• Advertisement

Anyway, what's happening here? What's the read? Their No3 is scoring a run a ball, the total is being whacked away. There are 40 overs left today going currently at 5 an over.

They could hit 600 easily and declare tomorrow morning. Their spinners were beating the bat in our first innings, but we haven't replicated that as much. Going to require a big effort from us to bat out tomorrow and a good portion of the last day in order to force a draw.. anyone else hazard an idea?

Realistically Simi Singh should be playing. He has a lot more experience of both sub continent and first class cricket. He would've offered some control and protected the two young guys that have been completely thrown to the wolves here. How can you make your first class debut in an away test match in Asia.

I'd imagine at some stage this pitch will deteriorate and spin square. We'll need a really exceptional batting performance on day five for a result

Looks like not much prospect of play for the remainder of day 3, 357/1, need more matches obviously and dubious team selection maybe, but a limited pool of players available

• Registered Users Posts: 25,098 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

357/1 is the SL response.

So that’s really any chance of a victory and levelling up the series out the window. Pity…

Healthy enough run rate for the Sri Lankans, just under 5. A couple of their batsmen with strike rates in the upper 80’s…

Our best bowler was Campher, took the solitary wicket and was our second most economical bowler. I wonder why he only bowled the 12 overs ? Maybe something to do with the heat, hopefully not carrying an injury…. He’s only gone 24 so you think he’d have more in the tank even on a warm day. His mighty effort with the bat may have influenced his captain’s thinking.

If we can get a good draw from this game, I think that will be success. And a move in the right direction as regards test playing.

It was the day that was feared and with the pitch been pretty much the same again it was easy for Sri Lanka. McBrine offers a little bit of control with the run rate but White and Humphreys were completely out of their depth which again is not wholly surprising considering their lack of experience. Awful drop by Balbirnie as well would have helped on as difficult day as you can get.

Sri Lanka, I would imagine weather permitting, will bat until tea tomorrow and aim for 600 or so and then hope to get a few of the top order out before the close of play. Another very difficult day ahead tomorrow.

It'll be interesting to see what SL do, assuming weather allows two full days play. They need to put up sufficient runs quickly, declare if necessary, aim to bowl us out and then knock off any runs that might be needed. But all a matter of balance. If they bat too long, gives us more incentive to drop anchor. Too soon and we could have a good thrash and leave them a tricky chase to win. Only immediate way for us to put some control on our own destiny is to start bowling a lot tighter and restrict them as long as possible. Anyone else?

Slogfest now.. one way traffic. They're all lining up for centuries and double tons!!

Methinks it's now us hoping the weather will deteriorate again today and tomorrow :)

599/2, and I thought the opener who got the 205 looked like a walking wicket probably in New Zealand or England but that's the difference in home conditions for Sri Lanka, thought this might happen, but maybe not this badly, still looks like a draw to be fair, but lots can happen late in high scoring matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭crossman47

A draw is the best we can hope for but I fear an innings defeat now.

Mendis out to Hume for 245, 629/3

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Actually it is going to be a good test for the team. Trying to bat out for a draw. Once the declaration comes if they can see out a session relatively unscathed, 1 or even 2 down, I fancy our chances. A better team than Sri Lanka I would fancy to topple us over but, and it's a big but, can we get through a session. Looking like it could be today's final session.

They must declare fairly soon, be stupid not to if they want to win. No way we're winning from here, toothless bowling.

So they need to bowl us out and knock off any runs if needed. Will we be back in immediately after tea, weather permitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Jeez that scorecard makes for tough reading. I wonder why Stirling hasn’t done a couple overs of off spin at all. Realistically it wouldn’t have made much difference, but you never know. And it would at least give the others a brief rest.

Reckon Sri Lanka will bat for another hour and then put plenty of men around the bat as Ireland poke and prod trying to save the test.

The bowling is so ordinary with little or no threat whatsoever. It's a horrible place to be in.

Can't understand why they haven't declared already. The longer they bat, the more chance we have of fighting for a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Trying to get their top 4 batsmen to centuries?

Evening session of Day 4 and it’s still the first innings, mad.

Just to tire out the Irish fielders more I suspect and pick up a clump a wickets before the close of play. I'd imagine they have a target in mind to lead by before declaring and they'll let Matthews will get to his century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

200 plus lead with Matthews getting his century, then they'll declare, you would think. If we can survive the short spell this evening, we can force the draw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement