Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your energy bill like?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Hooked

what the actual F? I'm sorry - I can't get my head around this?

My total gas and leccy bill for a YEAR in a monsterously oversized house (only me and the wife) was a grand.

How are you spending 1665 in 2 months? I assume this is a business - can't be a house/home?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

It says the poster is paying for their ex's bills as well as their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,636 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You can borrow an energy saving kit for free from your local library and they have a plug in energy monitor inside them to check individual appliances and see how much power they consume. Theres also an infra red gun in the kit for finding cold spots in your house and some thermometers to check fridge & freezer temperatures. I used the energy monitor to test the consumption on boiling a full (1.5litre) 2,100 watt kettle with it. My unit rate is 29 cents per kwh and the slightly over 5 minute boil cost 6 cents.So I doubt boiling the kettle to fill a hot water bottle is costing you that much that it would make your bill go up so much by 2.5 times. Were the previous bills estimates?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Where on Earth are you getting a unit price of 29c from??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Probably still on the 40% discount plan with BG. That's what I was on, started off at 16c... It's 39.5 now with their 18% retention deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Monthly bill for January cost €178 - i had €250 credit from Electric Ireland so that leaves me with €72 credit for next month. 40 year old well insulated 4 bed bungalow with OFCH and Solid Fuel stove. Have been monitoring usage like a hawk last few months and only running high energy users during off peak hours (Washing Machine/ Dryer/ Dishwasher)

What plan are on with your provider? Unless you're on a smart meter plan or have a day/night meter, running things off peak makes absolutely no difference to your bill. A standard meter or unactivated smart meter hasn't a clue what time of the day it is, you might as well be on Jupiter as far as it's concerned. A work colleague's brother bought an Id4 and is still on his ancient 24hr plan from the ESB, ah shur I just give the wife me money and she pays the bills is what he told me😏

Im on the Energia EV Plan since August which (at the time) was 29c day, 9c night units. Its a fixed price contract so the price cant go up, its saved me a fortune compared to how unit rates are now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭brokenbad

I'm on the Home Electric Standard + plan with Electric Ireland. Cheaper rates at night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Energia 1 year fixed rate plan from Sept 22, 29c day and 9c night.there was thread on here(boards) about it

yeah I know, I was lucky as hell to get that fixed rate EV plan from Energia in August just as it became obvious that all the energy companies would be introducing more price hikes which they then did in late Sept/early Oct. Better again is I dont even own an EV, I just blagged it on the phone lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Nice one. Nice to see someone win. I assume that plan is gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭tandcapply

EI electricity bill for December - January was EUR1024 before 200 Gov and 50 EI credits. 2366kwh used in that period

650 the previous two months.

We're in a 3 bed semi,built 1950s but with some internal insulation. 2 adults 2 kids and a Ukrenian family living in an annex in the garden. They only have Electric heating, shower and etc.

Our gas bill was 360 just recently received.

Post edited by tandcapply on

The fixed price Energia EV plan is still there but getting day/night units for 29c/9c is gone since late August when I renewed with them, it is now gone way up 48c/14c for the same plan.

It was pure luck that I dodged the bullet of sky high prices in that I always renew (or switch) in August every year. If my 12 month contract had of ended in October or November I would have been screwed as that was when all the power companies really went in hard with the price increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,353 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Registered Users Posts: 33,347 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Latest bill, for Dec and Jan, is €314.

Previous one was €248.

Assuming the use over Xmas period, more people at home for 2 weeks, to blame?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AvalonEnaid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭crisco10

I don't think that electricity plan ever made it to the Bargain Alerts forum (I heard of it on the EV forum), but if it did, it would have surely been the deal of the year. I got it a little later than yourself, (3rd September), but still fixed at 30c day, 9.5c night. And a reasonable (ish) gas rate...(13c). Fixed until next September, so missed out on the crazy price hikes in October.

Also, I spent €50 to break my EI contract at the time, which was a god send, if I had waited for it to expire in February, I wouldn't be able to get anything close to the above.

It was discussed on the 'Switching Electricity/Gas Providers' thread on Bargain Alerts back in July & August, some lads from the EV forum alerted us to it. But looking back now it was such a good offer that it deserved a thread of its own as it got buried in that thread. At the time as well people assumed Energia would look for proof that you own an EV so it wasnt until me and a few others rang up and blagged it that we found out you could get it without owning an EV. On the phone they just asked me if I owned an EV, I said yes and that was all they asked.

But yeah it actually was one of the bargains of the year, like my last bi-monthly bill was only 156. If I had of been stuck on current unit rates of almost 50 cents for a day unit that bill would have been more like 250.I reckon Energia might actually be making a loss on these fixed rate plans because they have to buy that electricity from somewhere.

Im just hoping now that by the time next August rolls around the electricity market will have normalised somewhat. Because if it hasnt my next contract is going to be a shocker no matter what provider I go with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have just chatted with the meter reader and nothing to pay this time. Electric Ireland .. One gas bottle @ I think E30 and and maybe 8 bags of coal eggs.. Stopped that as they have shot up now... Well insulated single demountable dwelling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

€187 for January. Electric Ireland.

Partly covered by €144 credit.

2 bed apt with heat pump set at lowest temp 17C/OFF

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I was taking the piss. Sometimes Im unsure of how pisstakey to make it before it correctly gets recognised as being so. Apparently the bar is quite high

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

1442 kWh for Dec Feb, totalling €517, so approx 35c a unit, incl of all charges.

Now, 320kWh of that was to 1600km on an EV.

So, for the 1990s bungalow of 2 kids and 2 adults. Dec/Jan

Removing EV, Electric €392

Oil approx €300

Coal approx €200

Total €892 or about €15 per day.

Likely the most demanding period of year, but still an ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Gas - 623 for December and January. Was 340 for same period last year. Similar levels of usage

Electricity - 350 for December and January but that was after the government credit of 200 was applied. Can't find last year's bill to compare but probably was around 50% - 60% of it.

Both with Bord Gais. Pay via internet banking rather than direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

Came in at 150 Euro for November and December after EI/gov rebates adding up to 250 Euro. Around 900kw/h used which is a significant improvement on last years 1800kw/h during the same period. A combination of reduction and installing solar has seem to paid off. Generated close to 360kw/h over the two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

Yeah things like not using the electric shower, ever. We just wash from the hot water tank instead as that gets heated by the heating, timed immersion and any excess when the battery is full. That's saved us a lot in a family of four. Things like using the dryer and washing machine/dishwasher during the day as well as it's usually supplemented with the solar and most batch cooking occurs during the daytime as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gas bill landed, 282, exact same usage as the same period last year was 164. Better than expected but still a rip off.

Advertisement