Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

I'd give you a medal just for reading that absolute snooze fest that wasnt even tested in a proper environment and with limited guinea pigs.

The only sure conclusion I can draw is that you seem to be determined to discredit this womans performance.

I'm not discrediting anything, it's a discussion about the effect of shoes involving a respected and well known sports scientist.

If you had read the article you'd see that it doesn't discredit her either. If you're not going to bother reading something, why respond to it?

Weird posting style.

Oh apologies if you're not trying to dicredit her.

I'm sorry as soon as I read that this was conducted in a lab environment with limited people I didnt waste my time reading the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It's not discrediting the athlete as much as crediting the shoe tech (with the caveat that we can't know about any single performance for sure because there is such a wide response variation to each shoe).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Tech plays a part but it's not the whole story

The training of professional road running athletes has evolved over the past decade in several ways

Data-driven training,performance analysis. Scientific advancements.

Sports science has made significant strides, leading to a better understanding of physiology, nutrition, and recovery. Athletes benefit from more precise training regimens and tailored nutrition plans.Individualized training by coaches and trainers are increasingly customizing training programs to suit each athlete's unique needs and abilities. Personalized approaches help maximize potential and minimize the risk of overuse injuries.Recovery methods among professional athletes now focus more on recovery strategies like cryotherapy, massage, and compression garments to optimize their training and reduce the risk of burnout.Mental toughness and psychological training have gained importance. Athletes are working with sports psychologists to enhance performance. More athletes are incorporating altitude training camps into their preparation to boost red blood cell count and improve endurance.

Nutrition optimization like fine-tuning their diets to support training, recovery, and performance.

The last 20 years have been amazing for advances and this generation of athletes especially females are seeing the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Was altitude training debunked

I thought it was could be wrong

I couldn't find anything online to support your suggestion, any idea where you seen this?

The track improvements can be explained by wavelite , new tracks and shoes

These random mad times on the road id suspect peds and shoes

Really, you think sports science advances are playing no part in performance improvement?

How prevalent do you think Peds are? Would you reckon the majority of athletes are using them? Jacob Ingabrigtsen is an example of an athlete excelling beyond norms, you think training has no influence on this, it's his shoes maybe.

• Advertisement

Ys but the recent improvements are mad across the board

I think the only explanation is tech and peds to an extent on the road

Nutrition training advances take longer to evolve imo

Your wrong, Peds or shoes are not solely responsible for improvement in athletic performance on roads.

Ya but the track improvements are almost overnite

World records all over

Post edited by Murph_D on

Charming. 🙄

Now the niceties are over what do you you think about the whole Peds and shoe debate? Would you reckon modern training using data science, sports psychology, nutrition, recovery methods have an influence on the current improvements seen on roads and track? Are core concepts( among many) like the double threshold(Norwegian model), lactate measuring models contributing? Or are you in Kirk's camp? All Peds and shoe?

As far as peds are concerned, pro cycling has shown that unless you have a very well organised anti-doping system (whereabouts system, blood passport, controls over supply, uncorrupted state sporting bodies) implemented in both the country of residence of the athlete, and the countries in which they compete, then it is very, very difficult to protect endurance athletes from the pressure to dope.

That's not directed at any athlete in particular, and it in no way removes suspicion from athletes in countries where those controls are in place, it's just the reality.

Of course when the risk factors are pointed out in a sport dominated by athletes from one part of the world there are cries of racism, and that's unfortunate. The only solution is to level-up the controls in those countries to the point where they're credible.

No interest in discussing this with the bots. Anyway it’s been done to death already by the humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

Re altitude training. Yes. Pretty much debunked

https://spotify.link/xOpsfjBOuDb

I'm still seeing the likes of Tinmen elite and Stephen Scullion going to Flagstaff for this type of training. Surely they'd be tapped into the wheres best to train and what the benefits are. The same with the Kenyan workshops for altitude training, still running and doing great business.

Altitude training confounds the biopassport, though, so it's also useful for dopers if they can avoid getting tested while glowing.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25545030/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The reason we're seeing these massive drops in world records has got to be the shoes. Doping is no more or less prominent than it's always been, it's the shoes that's making the biggest difference in recent years.

However, an overlooked factor is the age of athletes running the marathon now. The marathon used to be ran to finish off a track career, now some athletes are moving up much, much earlier. Tigst Assefa is 26 years old, Brigid Kosgei was 25 when she set the record in Chicago. Kelvin Kiptum will be breaking Kipchoge's record soon and likely run inside two hours inside the next couple of years and he's only 23. Tirunesh Dibaba, Cheruiyot and Keitany were all in their early/mid thirties when they ran in the 2:17-2:18 range.

I dont think so, Paula Radcliffe was still in her 20's when she broke the record in London marathon.

Kipchoge is nearly 40 and owns the mens world record several times over (I keep reading that hes mid 40s)

I think the difference is that back in the 80s and 90s we wernt seeing as much competition from the Africans and they have developed

and are competing between themselves as well as against the rest of the world. Most of the records are being set by Africans.

I also agree with Marathon2022, pacing, sports psychology, training camps, advanced studies (proven and legitimate ones) are also moving it along.

I think when it comes to running, the Africans are just better than the rest of us.

Its a genetic, environmental and psychological thing. For sprinting which is mainly usually dominated by USA (African related)and Jamaican athletes, they have the natural physique which is pivotal for sprinting with their glutes and hammers and for distance running the dominant Africans have more natural diets, more difficult terrain to train in and more of a hunger to win plus the size of the country. They are churning these athletes out from extremely difficult and competitive sports camps. Winning for these indiviuals is the difference between having enough money to fund your entire town or farming in difficult land to support your entire family.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wow, Kipyegon beaten in Riga! Welteji takes gold in the women's mile, running a new world record of 4:21. Freweyni Hailu second and Kipyegon only third, maybe just one race too far for Kipyegon at this stage of the season.

Welteji ran 3:53 a few weeks ago and I think she can go even lower than that, so Kipyegon might finally have a rival over 1500.

• Advertisement

Advertisement