Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Live now on BBC 3 and and YouTube.

Rai Benjamin beats Warholm! 46.39 and a Diamond League record. Big win for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭4Ad

Faith Kipyegon is such a beautiful runner, a class act !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

one race too many for Ciara

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Thought the WR might be on again, but not to be. In a better race setup I think she could've beaten it again. Think Welteji will give her some food for thought next year though, brings her PB down to 3:53.

A race to forget from Ciara Mageean.

Jakob comes close to the WR, moves to #3 on the all time lost. Delighted for Nuguse to smash the American record and go under 3:44!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Runster

Yeah your man Nuguse is really one to watch now, if nothing else he will drive Jacob and Kerr on to better times. The mens middle distance is no longer a one man race, its becoming as competitve as the womens now which is brilliant.

Hope Ciara is making a holiday of it there after travelling all the way to USA and finishing so far back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭deisedude

Was fairly underwhelmed from Day 1 of Eugene. Serious feeling of after the Lord Mayor's show with some of the big names underperforming coming off their peak from World's. Atmosphere doesn't seem great there as much as you can judge that from watching on TV

I think we were spoilt after the show that was put on in Budapest for the worlds.

Athletics isnt really that popular unfortunately unless there is a worlds or Olympics so not so much grandeur as there

is for a weekly ball game over there.

But yeah underwhelming aka a bit flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭deisedude

Agreed. World's was amazing. I talked with a few people who aren't regular athletics fans who were hooked.

I feel like there was a better atmosphere though for the more run of the mill Diamond Leagues this year. Possibly it being on during the day rather than at night in Eugene doesn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 54,991 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sub 3:44 for Jakob. Unreal

• Advertisement

I think it depends as well on where its held. Paris, Monica and Lausanne always look great on the T.V. every year.

I went to the Stockhom meet this year which was on in the evening and it was raining and some of the athletes didnt show up.

So there were Swedish athletes who are more B listers running in their place and I didnt know any of them.

The highlight of it which was exciting was Duplantis going for a world record in front of the home crowd.

I was sorry I didnt go to Budapest but it was a timing thing for me.

I dont know if its just me but I feel just as excited at the moment about athletics especially Diamond Leagues as I did when athletics was at its peak in the 80s/90s. I feel like there is super competition at the moment.

The stadium in Eugene is just so, so ugly. A big chunk of it with no seats, and you can see cars passing by on the road outside.

Disgraceful that a Worlds was held there.

Yes. I remember watching the worlds and wondering if it really was the worlds.

Gudaf Tsegay has requested world record pace for the women's 5000m tonight. Race starts at 12.39 Eugene time so hardly ideal conditions. Taye, Chebet and Monson in the field also so hopefully we see a fast time regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭4Ad

Tsegay...wow..what a run !! Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

And she does it! Just outside 14 mins.

Holy shiiiit! Just missed sub 14!! And Chebet almost ran inside the existing record, WOW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Jesus that was some race.

7:23 for Jakob after running the 3rd fastest mile in history yesterday. That 3000m WR is surely on borrowed time now.

Ingebrigtsen is mad. What a double!

• Advertisement

World record for Duplantis, 6.23.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Great viewing tonight and no fkin ads like Angela Scanlon making faces for An Post. Better atmosphere and crowds compared to yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Two WRs set in a half empty stadium. Kind of a shame.

Wow, 1:54 for Mu, back to her best. 1:55.19 and NR for Keely, couldn't do any more.

Some cracking competition, despite the stadium, time of day, time of year, lack of fans, etc.

Would be amazing if Shericka could finally get the WR here. Probably needs a favourable wind.

14 mins for 5000… savage run from Tsegay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Pity she couldn't finish on a high but she had a super season. Great to see Laura Muir finish out her season so strong.

• Advertisement

Jakob finishing on a 'high'. 🤣

Advertisement