Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung S23 series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Yabadabado thanks a million for the info. Tried loads of times to get on the chat to Samsung today and it kept timing out. I nearly went insane!!

Kilsmum

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭maik3n

It's probably something obvious I'm missing here in terms of settings, but has the feature to include sms in recent call log, possibly been removed on S23 ultra?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

• Registered Users Posts: 19 miss jenny2010

Would anyone have a discount code for Samsung please ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Does anyone with the S23 Ultra have serious battery life issues since the upgrade to One UI 6.0?

Mine is appalling since the upgrade, same settings and everything but this is my screen on times now

- 87% usage - 3hr 17 min screen time

- 80% usage - 2hr 50 min screen time

- 85% usage - 2hr 45 min screen time

- 95% usage - 3hr 11 min screen time

I was getting 5-6 hours on One Ui 5.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No haven't noticed any major changes personally. Most of mine are double yours for screen on time.

I charge mine wirelessly at night though. That tends to be it . The odd top up off fast charger

What's your charging habits?

Charge mine with Samsung 45W charger at night and it's always 100% in the morning.

I used to get 5-6 hours for screen time until the upgrade to One UI 6.0. Since the upgrade to the new software version my screen on times have fell off a cliff badly.

So not wirelessly. Adds credence to fast charging being not superb for battery longevity. Perhaps..

Can't be reason though as the issue only started the same day I installed the update.

Perhaps but I've the same update too the day it came out. 🤷‍♀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭TheRona

I get 7-8 hours screen on time, and that has stayed consistent since the upgrade.

Which apps are showing as your top battery consumers when you click into each date? Anything strange near the top?

Today already used 35% in 46 minutes after a full charge last night, woeful.

Chrome 7% - 28 minutes on screen

System UI 2.8% - less than 1m on screen

Instagram 1.9% - 14m on screen

Yet the whole percentage list only adds up to 17% yet I've used 35%?

Same for yesterday - Battery usage 98% and screen on time 3 hours 24 minutes.

I've gone though the whole list of apps using battery yesterday (up to and including the ones at the bottom that used 0.1% and the list only adds up to 54%. What happened to other 44% that is in the total but not in the itemised list?

There's something that is included in the total time that doesn't appear in the list that is draining the battery, but what? Hard to identify this when the phones own battery usage charts are missing the usage that is causing the battery drain.

That's bad. I'd make sure all apps are up to date. Including the Samsung galaxy store. There maybe one that wasn't optimised and is going rogue.

It shouldn't be remotely like that.

As aside and maybe not related, get a wireless charger on amazon they're super and really do treat the battery with kid gloves.

Wireless charging is convenient sometimes, but wired is always better. The real enemy of battery life long-term is the temperatures a battery can get to when charging. If it bothers you, you can turn off fast charging in your phone settings. Fast wireless charging generates a lot of heat, hence wireless chargers like the Pixel Stand having a built in fan.

Regardless, the way you charge your phone isn't going to cause battery issues with a phone that is less than a year old.

Wired is simply not better for overnight charging. You want lazy speeds. No one is going to turn off fast charging speeds that's not really a legitimate daily ask.

Lazy charge at night wirelessly no hassle. And keep fast charger conveniently located in house if need fast charge top up during the day.

I don't think anyone said wired charging isn't better, so it seems you took that entirely up wrong.

I installed Accubattery and it shows the design capacity of the battery is 4,855 mAh and the actual capacity is 4,843mAh, so yes it has dropped a little from when it has been new, but the little it has dropped is so minor that the battery essentially is as good as new in terms of health.

It estimates that a full charge will last just under 4 hours screen on time when fully charged, which seems to be in line with what I am getting and around 14hr 40 minutes based on mixed usage. Again that seems about right.

The built in Samsung battery status reckons my phone can last for 1 day and 4 hours on a full charge which is totally out of reality so I'm not sure where it's getting that crazy estimate from as it's not based on reality.

What Accubattery does reveal though is that the app drain the battery the fastest is One UI Home (20.9% per hour) which once again goes back to the fact that there is something in this new version of One UI which is causing the issue.

The laughable thing is that I've looked back at my graphs for the last week and on the battery usage on the phone there's about 40% of battery usage every day that is not accounted for when you minus the itemised usage from the percentage used.

Is this the core Android OS / One UI using this and I assume this is not included in the itemised list? Not only is it not listed, but it seems the Samsung Battery prediction doesn't take this into account either which is why it's telling me stupid things like 1 day and 4 hours remaining.

Again it comes back to there's something using my battery that the doesn't appear in my list of battery consuming apps and the phone itself doesn't take into account when making battery predictions. It screams of faulty software.

If you've the stomach I'd just to factory reset. Obviously backup prior as you know. But its pretty poor performance I'd bite the bullet.

Yes, I also wirelessly charge.

I was simply making the point that your theory that your battery life is good because you slowly wirelessly charge overnight is misguided.

It's most definitely not. Fast charging is and for batteries all batteries.

Thanks x

• Advertisement

Yes, but someone's battery draining quickly has nothing to do with degradation that may or may not come from fast charging. You're confusing the two (unrelated) things.

Trust me, you can still get poor battery life and fast drain even with slow wireless charging, as it's almost always a software issue.

You're welcome x

Enjoy your Christmas misreading what I've wrote a few times.

It's cool x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

is this battery issue fairly common .

How much do people get out of a full charge

No, it wouldn't be common. I get 6.5-7 hours screen on time from a charge.

It's not uncommon for people to randomly get battery drain issues after a software update, though. Often caused by rogue apps not working well with the new software version.

is this phone worth the money or would I be better off getting the iPhone instead ??

Anyone have any regrets buying one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Probably the most content I've ever been with a phone and I've been using smartphones since the my first one in 2010(HTC Desire!). Definitely keeping my S23 Ultra until 2025 and will see what Samsung has to offer then with the S25 series

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭CptMonkey

I have the s23 ultra and came from an iPhone 12 Pro max. With out a doubt the s23 is a better phone. Battery is better (by Miles)

Will be sticking with this phone for a long while yet

It's a superb device. No qualms recommending one to anyone.

is the camera worth it. how does it compare to previous phones you would have used.

sorry to keep asking.. its just a big outlay.

Is the apple phones a better bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Advertisement