Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early start to Christmas festivities in Rathkeale (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭downtheroad

That's not evidence.

There's evidence they don't engage in education. There's evidence that they commit a disproportionate amount of crime based on the numbers that get incarcerated. There's evidence that they abuse animals. There's evidence that they don't hold down employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i would very much imagine there have been quite a few of hem who have been cleaned out by CAB yes.

but those involved in criminal activity will sometimes make back what they have lost in time.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You’d find taking driving instructions from Mr Bean more enlightening, why punish yourself by engaging?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it is evidence.

the employment and education stats are not evidence for your claim however.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

2011 census, 1% of travellers have a 3rd level education, 8% completed education to leaving cert level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

If any of the media organisations had wanted to run one, there was nothing stopping them,...

Do you seriously believe that the Govt would not be able to 'have a word with/ask a favour of/Influence' media organisations in Ireland? Really?

@end of the road

Can you expand on this please - I'll take you off ignore for a bit so I can see your post

Re Casey,

no the majority simply rejected a **** little far right knuckle dragger.

tell me more about the far right bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

That's a gross insult .......... to Inter Cert level poetry ........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Evidence my hole.

But continue...

I'm very interested in the "facts" you're about to produce.

I merely stated fact in this post.

This thread subject was about the Rathkeale incident yesterday. Nothing else in your narrative.

If you want to discuss those than start a thread about those subjects.

As someone who was ran off the road last week by a returning Tourist I have expressed an opinion on this matter.

I havent lost the plot as you say just told the truth. Which I have realised no point anymore when it comes to matters like this.

It's been covered since but look at percentages of population/ crime.

I'm not arguing or judging just stating fact.

I'm sick of limerick getting dragged down in the media over this crap. Sick of financing it. Sick of hearing intimidation stories in the University hospital and sick of the lies around it.

If people of any race or creed cant live with respect they should be called out an answerable.

Or are you saying eithnic minorities are not accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Advertisement

No I did not. And rightly so. Was this the subject of this thread Cherry Orchid I must have misread the title.

Law and order has diminished in this Country over excuses.

Again it's down to percentages of population and crime.

I haven't called out any one or had an opinion on a group.

I merely stated fact.

Another fact is if people used fact and applied it evenly in law we may not be in this situation in either case.

Giving society groups preferential treatment and glossing over issues to appear PC in the media is clearly not working.

In a simplistic case here even pass through Rathkeale with no car tax tomorrow vs one of the Tourists there from early December to February with addresses in Rathkeale driving English registered cars with no road tax or customs payment here.

See who gets the heaviest road traffic fines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Thread seems to be heading in a predictable direction. Some posters are posting in good faith so it can stay open but some of you really need to reign it in.

Can we discuss the incident itself and related issues rather than make generalizations or fantasize about what some people would like to do to travellers if they were permitted.

Threadbans:

@Still stihl waters 3

@DarkJager21

@I Blame Sheeple

@StevenToast

@billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭maebee

My tuppence worth on our ethnic Irishmen. A few years ago we were in the departure lounge in Dubrovnik airport on a flight home from Cavtat to Dublin. OH and I were surrounded by our ethnic Irish countrymen who were travelling home from a pilgrimage to Medjugorje. They caused mayhem. Their 7, 8 and 9 year old kids were put into the Duty Free by their parents and they riffled it. Small kids running around the departure area with stolen fags and liquor. The Airport Police were on their case which caused mayhem and eventually it was sorted. In the Departure Lounge, almost every single "traveller" had a pillow, which they "brought" from their hotel. We felt really really ashamed to be Irish that day. To add, they all piled onto the plane with massive crucifixes, from their pilgrimage. None of these massive crucifixes would fit in the bins. To say that it was a stressful flight is putting it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

It must be v frustrating for those travellers who aren't involved in criminality when the entire community get slated on these occasions. I agree that there are plenty of decent travellers, and in the town I'm from one halting site beset by criminality and violence whereas the people from the other site are well regarded. Many of our popular musicians are from travelling backgrounds.

I think when people strongly identify themselves with a group, it's hard for outsiders not to group them all together when members of the group are engaged in criminality and anti social behaviour.

There is a massive disconnect between the 2 communities. The only way things might get better is if both sides are completely honest about their shortcomings. As you pointed out previously, there are plenty of criminals from the settled community and alot of prejudice towards travellers. From the other perspective, people are finding it hard to see what it is about the travellers culture that is worth preserving, as many peoples only experiences with travellers is negative -seeing v.young kids on sulkies on busy roads, que skipping, v. Untidy halting sites. This, together with a perceived sense of entitlement to avail of free housing and other services without paying tax is what causes people to get annoyed. There is also a feeling that members of the settled community are held to much greater account and that their kids would be taken away from them if they on the road or missing school.

It's a difficult one, no magic bullets but there's a lack of leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Reminds me of the time I gave a lift to a guy who was hitching. He blessed himself at every grotto, church etc I was well impressed with his piety and reverence ...

I had an Orvis fly fishing reel and fly box full of wet flies in the pocket beside the passenger door.

I dropped him at his destination in Oughterard and drove north...

Arrived at my fishing destination and no reel and fly box. Luckily I had a spare reel and flies in my fishing jacket in the boot.

That guy's prayers were answered because he went away with an expensive reel with expensive fly line and fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭BagofWeed

I never said you personally 'lost the plot'. I agree with your paragraphs as for Limerick, nobody could deny the city itself has improved dramatically although Rathkeale is in the county but the same stuff is going on all over the island so nobody can point the finger at Limerick. People no matter their ethnicity should be accountable for their actions, their ethnicity shouldn't be any consideration.

You understand it. And in an ironic twist if it wasn't largely due to bigotry and discrimination in the first place they wouldn't have culturally diverged to the extent where they are viewed by a lot of society and/or by themselves as a separate ethnic group to the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Is there a ban on using the word traveller on all media outlets when anything negative comes up now?

Rte report was funny yesterday.

’people with a connection to the town’

’Rival family groups’

I wouldnt mind if they applied the same logic on both sides, but RTE and thejournal have no issue using the word traveller when they run their discrimination articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the honest ones in the media if there are any left at this stage must feel like absolute fools when they are ordered not to discuss the truth of what they are seeing

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Butson

Remember after the horrible murder in Tullamore - all men were the problem. We needed to change our ways, all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I must have a different understanding of the word 'culture'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the media are a tribe in Ireland, the vast vast majority are card carrying liberal progressives and fully committed to WOKE doctrine which means believing that minorities are always victims and not held to the same standards of behaviour , used to be the case they were loathe to criticise what we seen frequently from travellers, now they don’t even point out it’s travellers as this would involve the WOKE sin of “ punching down “

the media aren’t afraid of reporting on traveller crime, they just don’t want to, the media are at the vanguard of pushing progressive thought in Ireland and a core tenet is ignoring any shortcomings by minority groups and blaming them on wider society for being intolerant of difference ( tenet of diversity)

journalism is an ex parrot in Ireland , what you see and hear on RTE are activists

Then you had a murder at a graveyard in Kerry earlier this year, and media reports won't mention the perpetrators as being travellers, and travellers being the problem.

Double standards by our media.

Enda Kenny was able to make a grandstand speech in the Dail to make travellers a recognised ethnicity, but the Oireachtas committee on justice won't call Pavee Point in to ask them to get their house in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,128 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Less chance of a fella who lives in the US living beside them than the first two.

Casey won't live beside you either.

Would have been happy to spout any populist slogan to get the votes off the eejits though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You have it the wrong way around. It's the travellers who are mistreating us.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

**** your thread ban <Mod Snip>

One week ban from After Hours

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Ah would you stop! Sticking “really?” At the end of some conspiracy theory nonsense doesn’t make it true. Your other two posts claimed Government itself didn’t do any polls for the last two weeks. When it was pointed out to you that the Government don’t do these polls at all anyway, you casually shift it to mean the Government prevented other organisations from doing the polls. It’s clear you’ve no idea what you’re talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

@stellamere

There is a massive disconnect between the 2 communities. The only way things might get better is if both sides are completely honest about their shortcomings.

In other words, the exact opposite of the constant Pavee Point "nothing to see here" gobshitery.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Pavee Point has issued a statement condemning the violence in Rathkeale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

That's bang on actually. It's not a perspective you ever see or hear.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Advertisement