Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Early start to Christmas festivities in Rathkeale (THREADBANS IN OP)

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭maebee

St. Vincent de Paul pay for court fines? Really? I never heard of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Well, the poster said “P.S. i'm not making this up..!!!!” at the end of the post. So it must be 100% true, and no further evidence is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,429 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would the court service be subject to implementing money laundering legislation if the bail was €10k and the mother brought that in cash?.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Juran

Reading articles about court appearances related to these limerick incidents, in both cases all were granted free legal aid.

We need a legal aid system similar to the Nursing home fair deal scheme, where the HSE means test you (property, money) and you pay % based on your assets. Legal aid should means test based on cars, vans, property (including caravans), clawing back a % of social welfare payments each week for a number of years. This could act as a deterent. Right now, being charged, court appearance, convicted, suspended sentences, small fines, etc. Seems to be the norm for these people, no skin of their noses. They dont need a clean sheet as they wont be applying for jobs, for loans (cash is king) or work visa's to US, Canada, Oz etc. There is no financial cost for them. I heard from a court clerk that its near impossible to collect the fines from them as they claim poverty.

I appealed a parking fine 2 years ago, it got rejected. I then got a letter from local council to say I would be issued acourt summons witin 14 days and that I would have a criminal conviction if found guilty of breaking a parking law. I kid you not. I paid that day. I'm an easy target, tax payer, fixed address, etc..

Now if the council had taken a photo that day of transit van parked in the same place registered to a halting site, or known traveller family, would they have pursued the parking fine ??? I bet my house that they would not.

As someone already said, customs turn a blind eye to UK reg cars going around for months. My french friend had a car with a french reg, within a month of moving to Ireland, he was stopped by gardai, who reported him to customs, who then came to his place of work a week later telling him he had so many days to clear the car and get an irish reg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The law is only for the law abiding , these people get everything for free !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

*slow hand clap*

At that rate, will it be a century's time that they will be on a parity with settled levels of education?

The sooner their culture of ignorance breaks down, the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

SVP pay for all sorts of stuff for scumbags. Wouldn't give them the steam off my piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Same here. Never a brown cent from me again. And was actually naive and foolish enough to help with their collections (only twice i may add) in my young and innocent days. Was shocked beyond belief when some relatives and friends who work for both SVP and Credit Union pointed out the carry on to me. Absolutely no reason to doubt these claims from the people involved.

Like "Juran" has pointed out above, until these folk get hit in their pockets/assets little will change. Wouldn't hold my breath though as our friends in the legal system (sorry legal industry) would lose a valuable cash cow.

On another note, since people have now been charged with the Patrickswell incident and the majority involved had just left/thrown out of a pub, has anyone involved been also charged with drink or drug driving.??

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

Many who do 3rd level, tend to focus on human rights/equality and so remain within the oppressed/victim cycle, working within the NGO/community/charity sector.

There seem to be little reinforcement of the Education Welfare Act, whereby if child misses 20 or more days of school, the school is obliged to report the absence. An unhealthy mix of the bigotry of low expectations and parents disregard of education. Many halting sites and individual homes will have a taxi bus collect and drop off to/from school - ironically continuous enabling has disabled the community further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Drink and drug driving is only for non travellers.

There was so much mayhem and blood on the streets of patrickswell the other night it was travellers murdering passing shoppers the guards (that had to come out from limerick ) were worried about rather than motoring offences which these people never adhere to anyways .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I could only imagine your reaction if travellers completing third level education was halving every five years.

You're right about travellers turning up working in the social care field. I've worked with quite a few of them , incredibly motivated and driven.

I'm not sure what your talking about with the oppressed/victim comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

I've no doubt they're motivated and driven - it requires a sustained effort to maintain hypervigilance on the actions and words of the settled community and at the same time reinforce a potent omerta on the actions of the traveller community. Who was driving (literally) the oppression in Rathkeale last week? who did it primarily impact - their own community; lack of education, domestic violence, damage to their property, misogyny, etc etc all enforced and conducted from within the community. Until this is discussed in an adult manner, the idea of oppression is reinforced, whilst ignoring who the oppressors might actually be.

Big whoop... it should have happened years ago. Most every other ethnicity that comes here doesn't seem to have a belief that schooling is optional especially ones from developing countries.

How bout that for a big whoop.

Young Traveller who graduated from Garda training hailed as 'inspirational'

Post edited by corner of hells on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

I’ve witnessed a certain kin thinkin out loud aka uploading themselves to the universe to declare other. One going so far as saying schooling here is child abuse, and why should they have Irish history foisted on them anyway going on to call on all Indians; Africans and Asians to converge on the wee islanders and addresss it.

Yawn. One in what, a hundred years, since the gardai were founded?

Lots of useless bastards join too, pretty low bar tbh. We have a ticker tape parade if one of them becomes something mundane like a university lecturer in something other than discrimination studies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Many of the travellers who have graduated from university like Sindy Joyce work in the victim industry complex, she does nothing bar preaching a message to her brethren that everything wrong in her - their community is the fault of society, she’s a grievance studies graduate and victim industry hustler

Post edited by Mad_maxx on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Oh it covers everyone from Pavee point to the NWC to the endless list of asylum seeker representative organisations and not forgetting the list as long as you’re arm of social sciences university faculty’s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Jizique

One could make an argument that social sciences have no place in a university

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Disagree. It shouldn't be allowed to call itself a science but then again social science faculties by and large are not situated within the real science departments in unis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yes social studies have a place in University, because they dovetail with economics, demographics, environment and planning, history, geography, languages, religious studies and lots more.

But no, the name science is inaccurate to refer to them, social studies or social research should suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

All gone quite here since the last time I was on but just to say congratulations to everyone involved. We managed to speak about travellers without the thread getting shut down. This may well be an AH first. Bualadh bos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

We'll in fairness, there was nothing said about the pieces of filth that wasn't true.

May they all burn in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Juran

All quiet indeed as they may be on their winter sun holidays at the minute.

I may be wrong, with the double-barrel Irish names, but I suspect these two lads arrested in the US when their holiday flight back to Manchester might be from the ethnic culture crew. If they are, they'll see how real courts and justice system works when they appear before a Judge in a Maine court. Very different to the mickey mouse Irish and British 'slap on the wrist + €250 fine' court system when found guilty of brawls, fighting, etc. They could be facing 20 years prison. since 9/11, the US takes aviation offences really serious. Its up there with attempted murder.

Advertisement