Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey Secret Santa

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Hi folks apologies I haven't posted my thoughts on the samples I received

I was very sick over Christmas and am just getting back on track now

I'll post my thoughts over the next few nights

Happy new year to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Firstly, apologies to my secret Santa for taking so long to get around to reviewing the samples. A combination of illness & Christmas festivities meant I only got round to sampling these recently. I sampled in the order suggested by my secret Santa.

Sample 2 Old Comber Irish Whiskey. Single Pot Still 46%

Nose – Vanilla, toffee

Palate – creamy & nutty

Finish – sweet / spicy

I wasn't sure what this was until I read the notes. I've never heard of Old Comber before. Quite liked this. Reminded me of a less creamy smooth version of RB 12. I’d definitely pick it up if I saw it on a shelf.

Sample 1 Teelings Blackpitts Peated Single Malt Irish 46%

Nose – Peat, slightly smoky (but not as smoky as an Islay for example)

Palate – smoky, citrus, butterscotch, creamy

Finish – creamy, vanilla

I guessed this might be a Connemara, so wasn't too fat off the mark. Have to confess, I’ve had a bottle of Blackpitts previously and really liked it. I’m a big fan of peated whiskeys (especially Scottish). I love Connemara too, so Blackpitts was right up my alley. Which reminds me.... I need to get another bottle of each!

In my case, my secret Santa generously provided 2 bonus samples – a rum and a poitin!

Plantation Xaymaca Special Dry Rum

Nose - fruity

Palate – dry, aniseed, slightly sour

I don’t have any experience of rums really (does a holiday Malibu count?), so don’t have any real way to compare this to other rums. I’d be happy to have a bottle of this in the drinks cabinet. Always nice to try something new.

The poitin remains unopened. At 63% abv, I may have to work my way up to that one 😀

Thanks again to secret Santa – and apologies for the delayed write-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I was obviously vocal enough about how much I'd enjoyed the whiskies I received, as I just got a bottle of Dark Silkie Cask Strength for my birthday 🙂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

based on the posts here I tried a Dark Silkie last night when I was out, it is indeed a lovely dram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I love Dark Silkie but I love the Midnight Silkie even more! the slight sourness from the wine casks is lovely

Hi folks

Apologies I am only getting around to this now, had so much stuff to deal with from losing my Mam. Apologies black sheep

So two lovely samples

The lower sample was definitely scotch and was absolutely delicious. A sweet tasting whiskey with loads going on I was left wanting more lol

The higher sample was absolutely beautiful, Coated the mouth and tons of flavour but obviously a higher abv as heat in the dram

Overall two lovely whiskies and thank you7 so much for the opportunity to try something different.

OK JUST CHECKED tasting notes provided.

Sample 1 Douglas Laing the epicurean, scotch abv 48% Single cask and finished in a white port cask- Have to say this was lovely and definitely not something I would normally go for. In saying that it was absolutely lovely and has opened my eyes.

Sample 2 William Larue Weller Buffalo trace collection abv 62.5% I honestly feel so lucky to have tried this, an extremely rare and expensive whiskey if you can source it. The mouthfeel was intense and was beautifully balanced.

Thanks so much to you all and next year i promise Ill be on the ball the day we are all tasting

Best regards

Ray

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Glad you enjoyed.

The lottery on Master of Malt for this year's release of the Buffo Trace Antique collection just opened, including for the WLW. Heartily recommend everyone enter... Buying them at RRP is worth any amount of hassle.

Thanks for the opportunity to try it

Gorgeous drop

Advertisement