Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whiskey Secret Santa

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HenryCase

Yes this was me.

Shame the Aberlour didn't quite work out but glad you liked the Nikka. Unfortunately I have none left for tomorrow myself. I had one dram left after I sent the sample and that's gone now. The newer version of this is supposed to have more peat but I haven't tried it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Hopefully we've a few more reports in the next few days, think we've only had about half...?

Haven't heard from my recipient, hoping they arrived ok 😬

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

There's a lot of sickness going around, about 50% of people being ill sounds about right! We had to completely change our Christmas plans, the in-laws got COVID one day out from the big day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Yeah we have a few stragglers and hopefully we get a few more updates soon. Feedback is what makes the experience.

As for myself, my taste is coming back but my sense of smell is still very much gone. I got some very interesting samples so I'll be trying them as soon as the smell comes back and I'll report back here asap.

Back on form the past couple of days and the wife is out tonight so the perfect opportunity.

I received a Glenfiddich 21 Rum Reserva Cask Finish and Nikka Yoichi Pure Malt. Two very generous samples so thank you to my secret Santa.

Glenfiddich 21

I have a mixed relationship with run finished whiskies so I was curious to try this one. Very sweet on the nose, apples and pear. On the palate a nice oily mouthfeel with pears and apple again to the fore. Sweet on the palate with some oak coming through but rum not as dominant as you might think. Soft pepper on the tongue also. It feels light with the 40% abv and I think this would be fantastic at say 46% but hey it's not what Glenfiddich do! Finish is medium. Overall I enjoyed this one, very tasty. Fruit and oak well balanced but if sweet whisky is not your thing, this is not for you :)

Nikka Yoichi

Saved this until after the Glenfiddich as detected some peat on the nose. Vanilla, citrus/ tropical fruits, salt and a light peat come through on the nose. Palate is lovely. More vanilla, apples and honey. The peat is not overpowering like some scotch - it is more gentle and floral. Some chocolate also present and maybe some clove/nutmeg? Am I imagining that because it's Christmas? Hmm. Salt and some light pepper longer on. Lovely stuff.

Glenfiddich is probably out of my price range but I would definitely consider the Yoichi, especially if I could get it on a deal !

Glenfiddich do some great middle and high end stuff. Had some travel retail releases lately I thought were really nice. But not a distillery I tend to buy.

Had a generous 50ml (think it may have been slightly more) of the Yoichi so tasted the remainder side by side with the Nikka from the Barrel this evening. This is my wife's favourite whiskey, recently replacing Green Spot and I am quite fond of it myself.

Have to say I found the Yoichi better. You would expect it being a more expensive whisky, even accounting for the difference in in bottle size, but there is just a bit more going on with the Yoichi. A more earthy , ashy (is that a word??) taste compared to a more caramel forward Nikka from the Barrel with very light peat. I was reminded of those Roses caramel keg sweets when I tasted it directly after the Yoichi.

Prices have crept up though. From the Barrel was around 42-45 maybe 3-4 years ago unless I am mistaken. At that price I would buy another. It is now 60-70. Better options exist in that price point in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Ah, glad you mentioned the NFTB, I have a bottle of that too and also think the Yoichi is better

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Apologies for the delay in getting round to my samples. Between nights out, a wedding and family events I've barely been in the house for an evening so only got round to them the other night.

Sample 1 (43%)

Straight away I was thinking this was an Islay. Big classic hit of brine and peat smoke. Vanilla and sherry notes in the background. Flavour is much more on the fruity, sherry side with lots of raisins, apple and then the smoke gently filling the palate. I've not had Lagavulin in years(primarily due to how pricey it is) so it was great to get a sample of this. I'm not sure I'll splash out on a bottle as it's a bit above my price range but I'm due in Scotland next month so I'll definitely keep an eye out for others in the range when I'm over.

Sample 2 (62%)

I could tell this was a stronger whiskey as there was a lot more booze on the nose but not in a harsh sense. Much more citrusy and fresher than the 1st sample. Flavour had the warmth of booze but no harshness. I snuck a peak at the accompanying note and wasn't too surprised to see West Cork mentioned as it has a similar profile to others I've had from their range. I figured it had been a cask strength but was impressed with how drinkable it was.

Reveal:

#1 Lagavulin The Distillers Edition PX matured(distilled 2006, bottled 2021)

#2 West Cork Cask Strength Malt & Grain Blend

Thanks to Santa for sending. Very much enjoyed both, no surprises the Lagavulin was the pick of the bunch but very happy to get both.

• Advertisement

@irish_goat, those were from me, delighted you liked them

The Lagavulin Distiller's Edition is generally my favourite whiskey. Their 16 is still great, but I think this is another level

The West Cork I struggled with a bit. I grew up in the UK and, as such, most of my less common bottles are scotch. I really wanted to include Irish but I had very little that I didn't think you'd have tried. I got two minis of that West Cork Cask Strength from the Tiny Tipple closing sale so we had one each. Like you, I thought it carried the flavour through the strength very well, usually I'd expect ones that strong to be little more than alcohol

And thanks again for mine. Hopefully you saw my comments above, they were really appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Hi folks apologies I haven't posted my thoughts on the samples I received

I was very sick over Christmas and am just getting back on track now

I'll post my thoughts over the next few nights

Happy new year to you all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Firstly, apologies to my secret Santa for taking so long to get around to reviewing the samples. A combination of illness & Christmas festivities meant I only got round to sampling these recently. I sampled in the order suggested by my secret Santa.

Sample 2 Old Comber Irish Whiskey. Single Pot Still 46%

Nose – Vanilla, toffee

Palate – creamy & nutty

Finish – sweet / spicy

I wasn't sure what this was until I read the notes. I've never heard of Old Comber before. Quite liked this. Reminded me of a less creamy smooth version of RB 12. I’d definitely pick it up if I saw it on a shelf.

Sample 1 Teelings Blackpitts Peated Single Malt Irish 46%

Nose – Peat, slightly smoky (but not as smoky as an Islay for example)

Palate – smoky, citrus, butterscotch, creamy

Finish – creamy, vanilla

I guessed this might be a Connemara, so wasn't too fat off the mark. Have to confess, I’ve had a bottle of Blackpitts previously and really liked it. I’m a big fan of peated whiskeys (especially Scottish). I love Connemara too, so Blackpitts was right up my alley. Which reminds me.... I need to get another bottle of each!

In my case, my secret Santa generously provided 2 bonus samples – a rum and a poitin!

Plantation Xaymaca Special Dry Rum

Nose - fruity

Palate – dry, aniseed, slightly sour

I don’t have any experience of rums really (does a holiday Malibu count?), so don’t have any real way to compare this to other rums. I’d be happy to have a bottle of this in the drinks cabinet. Always nice to try something new.

The poitin remains unopened. At 63% abv, I may have to work my way up to that one 😀

Thanks again to secret Santa – and apologies for the delayed write-up!

I was obviously vocal enough about how much I'd enjoyed the whiskies I received, as I just got a bottle of Dark Silkie Cask Strength for my birthday 🙂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

based on the posts here I tried a Dark Silkie last night when I was out, it is indeed a lovely dram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I love Dark Silkie but I love the Midnight Silkie even more! the slight sourness from the wine casks is lovely

Hi folks

Apologies I am only getting around to this now, had so much stuff to deal with from losing my Mam. Apologies black sheep

So two lovely samples

The lower sample was definitely scotch and was absolutely delicious. A sweet tasting whiskey with loads going on I was left wanting more lol

The higher sample was absolutely beautiful, Coated the mouth and tons of flavour but obviously a higher abv as heat in the dram

Overall two lovely whiskies and thank you7 so much for the opportunity to try something different.

OK JUST CHECKED tasting notes provided.

Sample 1 Douglas Laing the epicurean, scotch abv 48% Single cask and finished in a white port cask- Have to say this was lovely and definitely not something I would normally go for. In saying that it was absolutely lovely and has opened my eyes.

Sample 2 William Larue Weller Buffalo trace collection abv 62.5% I honestly feel so lucky to have tried this, an extremely rare and expensive whiskey if you can source it. The mouthfeel was intense and was beautifully balanced.

Thanks so much to you all and next year i promise Ill be on the ball the day we are all tasting

Best regards

Ray

Glad you enjoyed.

The lottery on Master of Malt for this year's release of the Buffo Trace Antique collection just opened, including for the WLW. Heartily recommend everyone enter... Buying them at RRP is worth any amount of hassle.

Thanks for the opportunity to try it

Gorgeous drop

Advertisement