Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey Secret Santa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Here's my notes...

Sample 1: 40%

Blind

Nose: more alcohol than I was expecting from a 40% bottling. Definitely get a hint of something, but I'm not great at identifying these things, perhaps it's a flavour from a bourbon barrel. I'd guess it's Irish

Taste, front: oh, very smooth, none of the alcohol I could smell. I'd say vanilla, as clichéd as it is. It's really nice

Taste, back: has an alcohol punch, again more than you'd expect from 40% but not in a bad way. It's very clean and smooth at the finish, very nice. I still think it's Irish, it's familiar but I can't place it

The first half went down really fast, which is a very good sign

Reveal: Midleton Very Rare 2019

Reaction: ah man, this is a bit emotional for me. My daughter was born in 2018 and I got her a bottle. I've also had a sample of that, which is probably why this tasted familiar. My son was born in 2020 and I managed to track down one for him in the end. The hunt for that was what brought me to this thread! Nice to have the middle year here, and a very generous whiskey to send to a stranger, thank you very much

Revised taste: no, still the same, I think. Though I am enjoying it more, knowing what it is

Afterthought: as it's Midleton, I thought I'd have a Redbreast next, interesting comparison. And, wow, the Redbreast (which I normally like) is almost undrinkably rough. It really is incredible just how smooth MVR is

Genuinely, thank you, that was great. Looking forward to number two tomorrow

Sample 2: 64.5%

Blind

Nose: Incredibly, for the strength, I don't get much of an alcohol whiff. Getting hints of Christmas pudding, guessing it's maybe sherry casked

Taste, front: more Christmas pudding, which floats away to give a more woody taste. Almost a hint of cigar smoke

Taste, back: can feel the alcohol now, but much less than expected. That woody flavour is really coming through now, it's really good

I have no idea what this is. The closest I can think of that I've had is Balvenie Double Wood

Reveal: Dark Silkie Cask Strength

Reaction: seriously, my best friend couldn't have picked two better whiskies. My dad's from Donegal. I've had the Silkie and like it, I bought him the Red Silkie for his birthday and it was really good. I've been wanting to try the Dark for a while but not got to it. So again, this feels like a very personal choice, which is really nice

Revised taste: yeah, still the same, phew! OK, I'm looking online now, think I have to get a bottle! This is a really fine whisky, especially as it must be quite young. I'm delighted it's Sliabh Liag, I love seeing a Donegal distillery do great things. Can't believe it's so strong, it's very easy to drink for that, this could be dangerous!

Repeating myself, but thank you so much. Those are two amazing whiskies to send out, I have undoubtedly won this Secret Santa! I hope you like the ones I sent, you've set the bar very high

And once more, thanks Cazale for organising, this has been brilliant!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Great tasting notes, can see why you enjoyed these. Context is everything with whisky sometimes.

It is, which is why I wanted to taste blind initially. They're both very fine whiskies, the Silkie Dark Cask Strength was a particularly great one 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Just tuning in now. Good to see all the notes already. Sorry to hear @Cazale and @HenryCase that you’re out of action and I hope you get back to tiptop form soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Great to see so many people trying and enjoying their samples. Some great tasting notes so far especially those blind tasting. I was going to blind taste but it just stresses me out. I have ptsd I think from blind tasting in the past! I prefer knowing what I have.

How did everybody go about choosing samples for their match?

• Advertisement

Notes from blind tasting half of each sample yesterday.

Sample 1 58.7%

Nose: Chocolate, sherried, currant, vanilla, red apple, cinnamon. Rich, heavy, beautiful.

Taste: Like a redbreast, very tasty, tastes like a pot still, peppery. That’s the business. Don’t know too many cask strength pot stills. RedBreast, Blue Spot, Powers JL single cask are all that come to mind. Think it is a blue spot as that got a lot of fans on the boards.

Sample 2 40%

Nose: Sherried, apple, not astringent or spirity, splintered fire wood, small bit of chocolate, some other fruit - pineapple?

Taste: a bit tannic, peppery, seems like a pot still, a bit young on the taste. Some pear.  

Tastes better returning a second time, and a third time. Less sure it is a pot still. Especially after tasting sample 1 which i am sure is a SPS.  Seems more watery after tasting the CS. But very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

You're very welcome I'm delighted you haven't had then before they're both my favourite from the last year. Feeling very Christmassy now

The big reveal for me. Thanks @Cazale for two super samples 👍️

I’m pretty bowled over by the Blue Spot which I hadn’t tried before now. It’s a helluva whiskey, and half thinking I must get a full bottle (if I can find one).

I would never have picked out that Sample 2 was a MVR - I would have figured it was something more "ordinary" so it's always interesting what blind tasting throws at you. I think I had that MVR at whiskeylive2017 and it is no slouch. But for me it is overshadowed by its companion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HenryCase

I didn't have much in the way of interesting Irish. I thought anything I had people on here would have tasted before.

So I went with a Scotch I liked and haven't heard mentioned on here and a Japanese whisky that has changed its profile recently and rebranded. It's difficult to track down the version I sent so thought it was something different.

If the person hates both I will send something else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭janiejones

Notes from the tasting

Sample 1 40%

Light and bright. Very tasty. Very easy. Nothing challenging here. Tastes of more. Don't have the vocabulary for this one. Just really enjoy it

Kilbeggan single grain 8 year old. This makes sense now.

Sample 2 43%

This one immediately has more going on

Nose: Creamy vanilla. Midleton potstill.

Palate: there's a kick there. Harsh. Lots of good stuff but bitter.

Back to nose after first sip, some of that harshness and now some apple

Nose is great, really top class. Palate not so much

Did mellow the longer it was in the glass

Jameson blenders dog

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Absolutely fascinating to read this thread as an independent observer. I didn't have the bottle (pardon the pun!) to join in.

Some really interesting notes here about some whiskeys I've tried and others I haven't. Looks like this Secret Santa was a great experiment for all involved (Covid excepted!)

For those folks, get well soon. For all on the forum, Merry Christmas.

Great notes, but the reactions pieces in particular. 👏

Glad you enjoyed them. The Blue Spot is a beast of a whiskey. It was probably a tad unfair to send it with the MVR as it's a hard act to follow.

@1901Rory sent me the following:

Poit Dhubh 21

Nikka From The Barrel

Kyasuku Japanese Whisky

Three very intriguing samples and it's a pity I can't try them tonight. The Port Dhubh sounds right up my street. A peated blend of at least 21 year old Scottish Malts. I've tried the Nikka before in The Dylan Bar in Kilkenny but I was a few drinks in at that stage so it'll be good to try it at home. The Aldi Japanese blend will be an interesting bonus!

In terms of choosing, I knew I wanted to send interesting whiskies but I decided early on I would not send anything heavily peated... This excluded about 2/3 of my selection.

In hindsight maybe I shouldn't have worried, but I wanted people to enjoy what I sent and was trying to avoid someone just being disappointed, on the off chance they were just dead against smoky whisky.

That left me with a narrower range and I picked one scotch and one bourbon that I was pretty sure would be new to whoever got them. The scotch has not been widely reviewed but I like it, a bit unusual and a blend, and from a bottler. The bourbon is a special one but I'll say no more.

Glad there are some that you haven't tried before, and I hope you enjoy them. BTW, thx for organising the whole shebang.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gordonl

Sample 1 (46%)

Nose: Brown sugar and honey, maybe a bit of caramel as well. Definite notes of Rye too.

Taste: Vanilla, Oak char, quickly giving way to the rye spices again and a note of black pepper creeping in as well.

Finish: Medium finish that's all about the rye and bit of vanilla in the background.

Sample 2 (50%)

Nose: Freshly cut hay, with a hint of lemon citrus following on.

Taste: Red apple dominating a bunch of tropical fruit notes, can definetely get pears as well.

Finish: Short, getting wood spices, white pepper and fading out with white chocolate.

Reveal:

#1 Sazerac Rye

#2 JJ Corry The Batalion Batch 3 (6 YO single grain aged in Bourbon casks, finished in Tequila casks)

Thanks Santa!

I was pretty sure that #1 was going to be an american rye, so I'm happy i landed in the ballpark.

#2 threw me for a loop though, lovely whiskey, although i've no reference for what Tequila will do to a whiskey. Nice to see unusual cask choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Same. Would have loved to have been involved but I've neither the whiskey collection nor the whiskey knowledge to participate although I've really enjoyed following here and on the main thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Apologies I never got to this last night.

It looks like Cazale sent me mine, and I to him.

I received Aberlour Casg Annamh and Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt (an older expression)

I had the Casg Annamh first, earlier in the week. I found it to be very red-apple skin and some earthy spices on the finish. It's an interesting whisky, and I don't mind Speyside at all, but there was just something a bit too tannic or something in it for me. It had an incredibly long finish, and as I allowed it to sit in the glass in a room with a fire going, it opened up a bit as it warmed, and the spiciness (like cinnamon or ginger) came to the fore a bit more, and some of the sweetness from the sherry I think started to come through.

On Thursday night then I had the Nikka Taketsuru having begun my journey into Japanese whiskies over the last year or so, I was very excited to receive this one. For reference, I have a bottle of Yoichi Single Malt and a Nikka From The Barrel here of my own. This is a lovely dram, very smooth to drink with no burn at all. I couldn't detect any of the smokiness, but that didn't matter, I really enjoyed this sample. Complex flavours of citrus fruits and spices I wish I had more of this for xmas day.

Your Secret Santa was @HenryCase It sounds like you got two really nice drams to try!

Post edited by Cazale on

• Advertisement

Yes this was me.

Shame the Aberlour didn't quite work out but glad you liked the Nikka. Unfortunately I have none left for tomorrow myself. I had one dram left after I sent the sample and that's gone now. The newer version of this is supposed to have more peat but I haven't tried it yet.

Hopefully we've a few more reports in the next few days, think we've only had about half...?

Haven't heard from my recipient, hoping they arrived ok 😬

There's a lot of sickness going around, about 50% of people being ill sounds about right! We had to completely change our Christmas plans, the in-laws got COVID one day out from the big day.

Yeah we have a few stragglers and hopefully we get a few more updates soon. Feedback is what makes the experience.

As for myself, my taste is coming back but my sense of smell is still very much gone. I got some very interesting samples so I'll be trying them as soon as the smell comes back and I'll report back here asap.

Back on form the past couple of days and the wife is out tonight so the perfect opportunity.

I received a Glenfiddich 21 Rum Reserva Cask Finish and Nikka Yoichi Pure Malt. Two very generous samples so thank you to my secret Santa.

Glenfiddich 21

I have a mixed relationship with run finished whiskies so I was curious to try this one. Very sweet on the nose, apples and pear. On the palate a nice oily mouthfeel with pears and apple again to the fore. Sweet on the palate with some oak coming through but rum not as dominant as you might think. Soft pepper on the tongue also. It feels light with the 40% abv and I think this would be fantastic at say 46% but hey it's not what Glenfiddich do! Finish is medium. Overall I enjoyed this one, very tasty. Fruit and oak well balanced but if sweet whisky is not your thing, this is not for you :)

Nikka Yoichi

Saved this until after the Glenfiddich as detected some peat on the nose. Vanilla, citrus/ tropical fruits, salt and a light peat come through on the nose. Palate is lovely. More vanilla, apples and honey. The peat is not overpowering like some scotch - it is more gentle and floral. Some chocolate also present and maybe some clove/nutmeg? Am I imagining that because it's Christmas? Hmm. Salt and some light pepper longer on. Lovely stuff.

Glenfiddich is probably out of my price range but I would definitely consider the Yoichi, especially if I could get it on a deal !

Glenfiddich do some great middle and high end stuff. Had some travel retail releases lately I thought were really nice. But not a distillery I tend to buy.

Had a generous 50ml (think it may have been slightly more) of the Yoichi so tasted the remainder side by side with the Nikka from the Barrel this evening. This is my wife's favourite whiskey, recently replacing Green Spot and I am quite fond of it myself.

Have to say I found the Yoichi better. You would expect it being a more expensive whisky, even accounting for the difference in in bottle size, but there is just a bit more going on with the Yoichi. A more earthy , ashy (is that a word??) taste compared to a more caramel forward Nikka from the Barrel with very light peat. I was reminded of those Roses caramel keg sweets when I tasted it directly after the Yoichi.

Prices have crept up though. From the Barrel was around 42-45 maybe 3-4 years ago unless I am mistaken. At that price I would buy another. It is now 60-70. Better options exist in that price point in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Ah, glad you mentioned the NFTB, I have a bottle of that too and also think the Yoichi is better

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Apologies for the delay in getting round to my samples. Between nights out, a wedding and family events I've barely been in the house for an evening so only got round to them the other night.

Sample 1 (43%)

Straight away I was thinking this was an Islay. Big classic hit of brine and peat smoke. Vanilla and sherry notes in the background. Flavour is much more on the fruity, sherry side with lots of raisins, apple and then the smoke gently filling the palate. I've not had Lagavulin in years(primarily due to how pricey it is) so it was great to get a sample of this. I'm not sure I'll splash out on a bottle as it's a bit above my price range but I'm due in Scotland next month so I'll definitely keep an eye out for others in the range when I'm over.

Sample 2 (62%)

I could tell this was a stronger whiskey as there was a lot more booze on the nose but not in a harsh sense. Much more citrusy and fresher than the 1st sample. Flavour had the warmth of booze but no harshness. I snuck a peak at the accompanying note and wasn't too surprised to see West Cork mentioned as it has a similar profile to others I've had from their range. I figured it had been a cask strength but was impressed with how drinkable it was.

Reveal:

#1 Lagavulin The Distillers Edition PX matured(distilled 2006, bottled 2021)

#2 West Cork Cask Strength Malt & Grain Blend

Thanks to Santa for sending. Very much enjoyed both, no surprises the Lagavulin was the pick of the bunch but very happy to get both.

• Advertisement

@irish_goat, those were from me, delighted you liked them

The Lagavulin Distiller's Edition is generally my favourite whiskey. Their 16 is still great, but I think this is another level

The West Cork I struggled with a bit. I grew up in the UK and, as such, most of my less common bottles are scotch. I really wanted to include Irish but I had very little that I didn't think you'd have tried. I got two minis of that West Cork Cask Strength from the Tiny Tipple closing sale so we had one each. Like you, I thought it carried the flavour through the strength very well, usually I'd expect ones that strong to be little more than alcohol

And thanks again for mine. Hopefully you saw my comments above, they were really appreciated!

Advertisement