Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is Elon Musk hurting Tesla?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Seriously? You'd support the Chinese though? Have a little read about what they get up too.

I'm going to leave it at that as this thread is for bargains and I've derailed it enough.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: posts moved from bargains thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

When I'm driving my car I don't particularly care about other people's opinion of the manufacturers employees or major shareholders. I think it's pretty shallow to spend time caring about what others think of you, instead drive something you enjoy, whether that be a Tesla or a classic Austin Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭sh81722

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭TMY

What panel gaps? Out of interest, what car do you drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭TMY

Good for you! So you're content with it I take it yet still feel the need to have a go at Tesla's and by extension, their owners. Fair enough. Bit sad really

I'm delighted with the Model Y and don't agree with you in the slightest on the panel gaps.

But that's going off topic so will leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

While certainly its true that you can find something bad or nasty etc about almost any company that is true there is still nothing wrong IMHO with not being willing to buy a product because you disagree with the policy or behaviour of a company. Personally I try and buy from companies who produce quality products who behave in an ethical manner as much as possible. It's not always possible but I do the best I can in that regard. Certainly for me I find Musk a rather repulsive individual who's behaviours and beliefs I find highly dangerous. When it came to buying my first EV I ended up going with a Mustang Mach E and absolutely love it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thankfully, you can overlook certain crimes from certain CEO’s 😂

We’d never buy another product if we went looking for skeletons in closet’s!

No question if you look hard enough you cand find something wrong with pretty much any company. In the case of Tesla Musk is that Companies CEO he also happens to have a power and an influence in general that is enormous and he sadly uses that for ill very often and in ways that are dangerous to society IMHO as well as coming across as an odious person in general. Hence my dislike there.

As an aside there you mentioned the CEO of Ford Next (being accused not convicted) which is a unit of Ford not the actual CEO of Ford which is Jim Farley. While the link below is 2 local executives in Argentina.

All in all I am very happy with my Mustang Mach E and given one of my neighbours has a Telsa so I have driven that as well there is no chance I would buy a Telsa ahead of my Mustang Musk or no Musk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think musk is a dangerous charlatan. A detestable individual. Which puts me off giving his company any money. But I'm more concerned about his antics impact on the long term of Tesla itself the wasteful spend on nonsense projects the slashing prices of vehicles it's no way to instill confidence and will kill brand for people who've spent big on one when renewals due.

He's simply not good for the company on any metric. He may have had a luster about him 4 or 5 years ago but they should jettison to fool.

And God knows how his shares are tied up in the x fiasco . A walking talking liability for the company. Which for me puts the stability of Tesla in question. I'd prefer to buy a vehicle that's risk profile isn't tied to musings of an untethered billionaire.

Might I add he's trying to face down unions in Norway a place where his vehicles are most popular. Result unions refusing to issue registrations for them. The thinking man's genius..

If you don't like the CEO don't buy his cars. But thanks to him you now have a choice of decent EV offerings from other makes too. It was great to have an individual making EVs S3XY.

Exactly.. and people are choosing to do just that. Which is consumer choice.

Stats say otherwise.

People forget the crap when they get a deal especially here in Ireland. Look at the crap VW have done over the last few years, yet they remain the “people’s car”. How much of that is down to them controlling the finance through VW Bank is anyone’s guess.

Maybe 2024 will be different 🤷

I wasn't saying people collective. I'm saying just 'people' are choosing not to buy tesla because if the main man.

Not the all people are choosing not to buy.

Still firmly believe he should be jettisoned at the earliest available opportunity it can only be good for the company.

Perhaps he'll suprise us all with something truly visionary. But unfortunately these days he seems to spend too much time on X annoying everybody, and micromanaging, instead of thinking big.

What I hope is that Tesla won't loose its identity and become just another car assembler. And lots of this is tied to the guy, i.e. he has been obsessive getting his ideas into products that look like him. My only Tesla ever has been the Model 3 we have and it just does most things so well without being boring. It is a very well thought out product of high quality of lean design where you try to get rid of all the non-essential parts and complexity and constanty revise the product to be even less complex. It doesn't have the bells and whistles and soft touches that many other cars have, but what is has is very well engineered and durable.

If Elon was replaced I'd be afraid that the feature creep would set in: Add this extra module, this bracket, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭DrPsychia

There will always be people who choose to not buy a product for certain reasons. Undoubtedly Musk is an erratic and unpleasant person but I don't care what he does outside of TSLA. A lot of this stuff about boycotting Musk and his products is being exported from the US, same with divisive politics, conspiracy theories, anti-vax, and institutional racism. It's a cesspit for toxicity and silly 'movements'. They think a lot of issues that affect them must also affect us here, when it really doesn't.

People who don't like him and talk about him non stop are effectively placing him on a pedestal, even though they hate him. Some let hate and issues consume them while others go about their day and don't care.

He has made some poor decisions related to Tesla and I believe many people would agree with me, however, I believe Musk has done more for BEV adoption than any other individual or entity in the world. Regardless of those poor decision, the cars are still great value for what you get. Without him a lot of people here would still be driving ICE, paying quite high prices for decent BEVs He helped drive down prices across the board which allowed more people to join the BEV market. I understand why early adopters are pissed but early adopters are an ever shrinking part of the overall customer base. We all know he didn't cut prices for the good of mankind but nonetheless he brought more people into the BEV sphere.

Evidently you haven't seen him comment about Ireland.

I do enjoy people who stick their heads in the sand and put everything down to America Culture wars. He's a divisive dangerous fool. Who's ideas extend to putting fart noises and editing out or entering software features on a whim based on individual feedback he gets on twitter.

The notion he designed the interior or exterior of the 3 or Y or has any real bearing on the feel of those cars is laughable. People swallowing the hype. People that work within Tesla are the ones that should be lauded for the vehicles outcome.

You cam Evidently see he's had full sway in the homer Simpson styled cybertruck. That's the reality and that's why that yolk will never really be made in any remote numbers.

Get rid of him they'll be more successful. There's good people behind their well reasoned products. He's a credit stealing hawk

• Advertisement

I think he will continue to cause the company more and more harm as the EV market expands and traditional auto makers get into the EV market and EV cars at all market price points come out providing more competition as he just seems to be getting worse at least in more recent times.

I missed his comment about Ireland as well. What did he say?

Interjecting specifically on hate speech laws quoting ministers

I learn more about musk from 2 or 3 posters on here.

I don’t see the need to follow him or his antics at all.

Whatever you’re into 🤷

Amazing thing is. I don't follow him, I don't want to follow him but as he owns the company he can force his posts to the top of anyone's feed. Such is the narcissist we are dealing with.

I'm not into. That's the entire point. The other side of that is people are evidently 'into' him otherwise he wouldn't have a ready made army of defenders. Whom don't seem to have any context of what he's about.

Bizarre when you think about it. I'd prefer if he just fckd off and wouldn't have to hear is musings.

Just keep scrolling. You appear to be affected by him more than he is. Don’t enforce that on yourself.

Advertisement