Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armored Core VI - Fires of Rubicon (From)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's grand so far. Not reached the boss that's giving people trouble at the end of Chapter 1 but other than the starting mission boss it hasn't been that difficult. There's checkpoints before bosses and no penalties for using them. A lot of people are saying the people complaining don't understand that in AC you have to change build to suit the mission and the people getting stuck are prioritizing armour over speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And yet it doesn't explain that anywhere... but at least there's training missions. Haven't played it since Friday, but I see lots of reports of stupidly hard bosses, so I'd say I'm probably not far from giving up. I knew this was a FS game so I'm expecting the spikes even if this is very different to how the Souls games play. But, unlike the annoying Souls games, you can restart before the boss fight and not have to go through the whole level/enemies again. So maybe that'll be a good buffer to keep me trying. Think I'm near the Chapter 1 boss, so will find out soon enough.

Now to go back and change all my increased armor for speed parts... that may be something else to turn me away, if it gets too stat heavy. But the inbetween parts are fun!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I mean the tutorial after the first mission and boss was a bit silly but I did the climbing the wall mission and the boss needed a fast AC to have a chance against it and the tutorial that unlocked before it was literally about the benefits of inverted joints and light builds so. A friend told me you get the heavy parts after it and get a tutorial of their benefits. So I don't think it's fair to say it's not explained when there's literal tutorials about this stuff.

Anyway if you get stuck try different builds, it's all about swapping out weapons and parts to suit the mission and you aren't punished for it. The chapter 1 boss issues are apparently people not making builds to counter it.

Aye, I do appreciate the tutorials, and I think that one you're mentioning is up next as its still warly days. Will get a bit more into it tonight and I'll most likely encounter this first boss, that'll tell me if it's for me or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Just reached chapter 3. I wasn't really feeling it at the start but once you put some builds together it's great.

• Advertisement

Hope nobody is cheesing the game with

overpowered dual shotty builds?

I'm not yet, but that's gonna be my final attempt build!

Dude, don't be such a scrub

** quietly goes back to rivers of blood build that got me through the end game of Elden ring.

So I got to that gatekeeper boss at the end of Chapter 1. Christ on a bike was that a massive jump in difficulty. Took me a good two hours to beat and at one point I had to exit out of the mission and rebuild my AC. It's an excellently designed boss but it really is going to give people trouble. I'm going to put in spoilers what helped me out but there is one missable which I found massively helpful, there's a kick move you get from upgrades from the arena and it's going to help out big time.

Anyway spoiler time:

My build was an inverted leg build to give speed but it might not be massively helpful here. I had 2 missile launchers, a melee weapon and a shotgun.

First you have to take the shield down. The shotgun and the kick are going to the stars of the show but it's always good to keep pressure on with the missiles. Stay close so the shotgun doesn't ricochet. If you get brave you could go for kicks or melee but I find if you miss the boss counters with his cannon which does insane damage. If the boss moves away and does a missile attack it sounds counter intuitive but dash towards him dodging the missiles and then use the kick then dodge around him to avoid the missiles and watch if he counters with his cannon. That cannon counter is the thing that will eat your health more than anything. If you manage to kick him early in this attack you can sometimes get a melee attack in. Once the shield is about to go down make sure the area is clear of any missiles or other bullshit as you will want to maximise damage.

Once the shield goes down the boss will be in a staggered state and will take increased damage. I like to do a charged melee, followed by a shotgun and then a boost kick. At this stage the boss will run away and recover out of stagger. The aim here is to try and stagger the boss again. You need to get a second stagger in quickly. You shotgun and missiles won't be enough but can keep the stagger gauge active. You want to try and get a boost kick followed by a melee and maybe follow it up again with a boost kick. The boost kick and melee will do insane stagger. The shotgun can be used if the stagger gauge is very high. Sometimes I was able to stagger 3 times and get the boss to his second form but you will more than likely have to take the shield down twice per phase.

Phase 2 is like phase 1 but the boss gains nasty flame attacks. The flame attacks are almost as dangerous as the cannon attack but if you get caught in a combo it's bad news. You are just going to have to learn to avoid these. You'll also get less chances for a boost kick so you'll have to rely more on the shotty although there are new kick and melee opportunities here. Just don't lose the head and it should go down if you can survive long enough to take the shield down twice more.

Boss is a pain in the hole but beatable. At least you've got some incredible visuals and music to go with all your failed attempts.

Anyway, eat **** Balteus!

I'm on thr second last mission of Chapter 1, wallclimber one was a lot easier with the lighter buld alright, and I've stuck with it since. The mech at the top took me a few tries but shotgun/melee acrobat done the job. Thoroughly appreciate restarting right at the boss, full health and the ability to change gear in the restart menu.

Had a couple of tries at the arena. I like it. The unlocks from it will be handy. And then I spent over an hour creating Raziels clan symbol for an emblem.

• Advertisement

Just another note of mister annoying coming up

Apparently energy weapons make the fight way easier than the build I had

Already running one of them so advantage... Still him. I also see there's a mod to allow hand weapons on your shoulders. Quad shotty quadraped I hear someone say?!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Haven't gotten nearly enough time to play as I'd have liked, but progressed a bit last night. Gameplay is a lot of fun and performance seems rock solid for the amount that can be happening on screen. Love the lock-on shooting where you don't have to be precise with aiming, it comes down more to your tactics, build and how you engage. Though it can throw you when you go for a melee on an enemy beside you and end up flying halfway across the screen to another enemy in the background who came more into the middle of your sights.

Hoping for some awful weather this weekend so I can really start digging into the game more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

That weapon Bay mod basically just swaps your shoulder weapon with your arm weapon. So if you press the R1 button it doesn't actually fire the weapon it just places it in your arm slot

This was literally me last night screaming about how unfair the cannon counter attack was when I missed a melee strike and then after beating the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭McFly85

Haven’t gotten around to starting it yet but the first boss of a From game being an absolute pain in the hole is nothing new.

By the time you play it in NG+ you’ll really wonder what your problem was.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,815 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone playing this on a 3070 paired with a 3600?

You should be fine. The game seems to be less taxing than Elden Ring.

Got through chapter 2. The arena has gotten a lot tougher. Had to build specific ACs for some of the fights. Think I should also grind a bit more as I'm falling behind on getting new weapons and parts.

Chapter 2 was a lot of fun. There's 2 great boss fights in it but neither are as tough as Balteus. Definitely died a few times to both. The Chapter 2 boss wasn't too bad but I kept running out of ammo. Had to build a specific AC for him and even at that I finished him off with only my right hand weapon left.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Watched that beginners guide a few days ago even though I haven't picked up the game yet, looks great. Prob going to get it tonight or tomorrow and get stuck in.

This also pleases me - looking forward to making some Gundam like mechs.

Is it worth exploring areas or looking around for stuff? I've used the scan function a few times but it never really shows anything other than maybe enemies. Other than that I've maybe scanned a few broken mechs, but should I be exploring the environment, are there doors to open etc?

The battle areas are small enough and walled off. There's not a lot you can get exploring. I think like Ace Combat there's some harder enemies off the beaten path that will get you bonus money, I saw a quadroped in an area off the main path of the wall climb and noped out of there. I don't think there's a whole lot to be gained by exploring but I could be wrong.

The scan is only really handy for detecting enemies behind cover/scenery or cloaked enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I think they are for combat logs which can increase your hunter rank

Cool. Just thought there was something in the training module for it where it said the scan would also show chests or boxes or something. Figured maybe there were a few of them dotted around each environment you could find for new parts.

I thought Balteus would be my deciding point, but it appears the mission before it is really testing my patience. I'm starting to acceot that this is also not my type of game and that FromSoftware just don't make games for me. I do enjoy the missions, but the difficulty spikes with the effort/grind and setup required is offputting. For people into these types of games, I'm sure this is an excellent example, but it just reopens the conversation about difficulty levels in games, which is for a different thread. Can't see myself lasting much longer and was gonna trade it towards BG3 but there's no physical for that... Probably trade it towards The Crew or MK1.

At this stage, I just want everything unlocked so I can spend hours creating a mech I'll never use...

What's giving you a problem? I didn't really have an issue until Balteus.

If you are having trouble maybe try a shotgun build?

I've reached Balteus now too and he's been wrecking me. Got him down to about 40%, but going to have to change up my build. It's not so much the weapons, but the maneuverability.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Watched my eldest play this on PS5 for a few hours this evening, done 4 or 5 missions after the tutorial. Combat looks great fun although we spent most of the time in the Assembly and shop sections looking at the different stats for parts. 😁 I love that you can sell parts for the same price you bought them so nothing lost if you don’t like them. The paint and decal sections are cool too.

FromSoft just don’t know how to make a bad game these days, 10 out of 10 so far this is and I’ll probably pick it up on PC too so I can play it myself.

• Advertisement

Tbh, I know I can pass all these if I just stick with it long enough, mess about with the vast amount of options/builds. But that's not for me really. I'm not one for replaying games in general, so it's the repetition and constant build changing that's bringing it down for me. Not the games fault, totally on me. I just don't have the patience for these types of games.

It's far better than Souls for me, regarding the ability to reload right before the boss battles with full health and the ability to change loadouts without having to go back to the garage. The overall gameplay is fun and enjoyable, and it's great craic being a boss flying around the place taking on all the enemies. The customisation is immense and can only grow with more parts as you progress. I'm loving all that side of it. I just don't enjoy trying the same enemy/situation over and over and over. I hit a wall of impatience. It's the 3 cloaked feckers that are killing me now. I'm nearly out of patience, and giving it quite the gap between attempts/sessions in order to cool down.

So, at that, I'll bow out of here because it's a great game for those that like these kinds of games, and I don't want to bring it down anymore with my negativity. I'll end up putting it in the same "not for me" section as the Souls games. Might just rename it the From box. To everyone else playing this and enjoying it, best of luck!

Advertisement