Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armored Core VI - Fires of Rubicon (From)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mental to see people excited about an armored core game!

I only played armored core 4 and didn't like it but apparently that's the worst in the series. Heard great things about the rest of the games and listen to the soundtracks regularly as they are incredible. Interesting to see what this is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

People are excited because of From's recent track record, I'd venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

When was 5 released? 2012? be very interesting to see how this turns out after all the games from have done in between. When you think about some of the mechanics in froms souls like games you can actually see the evolution from armored core, the gear/equipment/load etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh I know. It's just weird seeing people excited about a niche From property. They would have been totally ignored or flown under the radar before.

I'm actually really enjoying the recent glut of videos and essays re-evaluating From's back catalogue and them all almost always coming to the conclusion that 'this is pretty weird and esoteric but also awesome once you get into the mechanics'. I was always put off From games until Demon's Souls due to the awful reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think AC2 was the last one I played, and now that I know it was a From game I completely understand why I got stuck and couldn't progress because of the difficulty. Thoroughly enjoyed what I played of it though, just got stuck on a save with low health and an immediate unwinnable battle because of it. I'll be keeping an eye at least.

• Advertisement

Well Miyazaki was only there for AC4 for answer. AC though is more like a hardcore mech sim though and going into debt because you can't keep up with the upkeep of the mech is kind of part of it. From did a lot of very different games until souls games took over.

Miyazaki interview with IGN. Contains one or two tidbits, but nothing that surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Picked up ACIII (well, 'acquired') on the back of this news. Anwyay, turns out it's Gran Turismo where you build robits and have to worry about inertia and resources when putting pieces together. It's like light/medium/fat roll but on a much more granular level where everything interacts with everything else. Will be very interesting to see how this kind of design goes down with a wider audience. I think with the right kind of player guidance it could be successful, one thing I find slightly frustrating is not realising at first that a lot of the terminology of the game is described in the game's manual, which I had to go find online

I picked this one as there's a bit of a split in the fanbase between the pre and post-4 games, where the old ones have you build a bunch of clunkers but the mech building and its impact on player control is a bit more involved while in the newer ones you're building these warp speed robot ninjas. So I wonder if 6 will split the difference a bit there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

Up to Silent Line, it's quite methodical; lots of focus on build per mission per situation. Still very difficult but in most cases you can tailor your core to however way you want to play within reason. The major changes moving beyond this game is extending the use of boost ten fold and making it much more effective. Same gameplay, more or less the same build options but now everything is going at 10x speed in mostly much bigger mission areas to account for the changes. I like both and look forward to what VI brings.

Gameplay and release date (August 25th);

• Advertisement

Looking good. Hoping this finally gets me into the series although I've only really tried AC4 and that's apparently not great.

Funnily enough I was just listening to some AC music on spotify. Really hope they get the AC composer back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Damn. That's a good trailer. It excites me. Looks like amazing mech fun, which will probably be hard as balls but at least the movement ain't slow so that's something. That Premium Edition... €440! The Collectors Edition, which is the same minus the "garage" for the figurine is €250. 10 years ago I would have.

I'd normally be against plastic tat special editions but that ain't no plastic tat.

I terms of difficulty the armored core games traditionally aren't the same difficulty as souls games. They're usually quick short missions and the main gameplay is outfitting your mech to deal with the mission, a wrong set up can be a disaster.

From what I played of the ps1 games the game also likes to put you heavily in debt with your contract company but it's more a commentary on the dystopian war economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ketchupmessi63

I played the first of these games back on the ps1, but for some reason I never bothered to try the newer titles... I might get this one, though, looks cool and FROM are definitely on a winning streak for the last...well... 13-14 years (I'm counting form the original Demon's Souls release)

From made some absolute bangers before Demon's Souls. We all just collectively ignored them or reviewers gave them a cursory glance and middling reviews without giving the mechanics a chance to shine. I can't even blame the reviewers in this case as I'd dismiss From games as well. But going back to them now the likes of the King's Field series, Kuon, Shadow Tower, Echo Night. All incredible series. Even Armored Core seems to be well loved but I ignored it as I dismissed the series as a series for Mecha Perverts (which it kind of is). Hoping this gets me into the series the way Ace Combat 7 did for me and AC.

New footage out today. It's part of a larger video that was shown to the media. Vaati gives his thoughts below.

This is looking incredible and the music is top tier armoured core.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I’ve never played an Armored Core game before but this looks great. Souls like combat with customisable mechs, yes please. Man it’s just good to have a new From Soft game coming out, 25/08 isn’t that long to wait either.

• Advertisement

The word from Armored Core fans is this is a straight up AC game. There's a few Souls influences that have crept in but it's AC through and through. Not a bad thing. I've been meaning to try get into the series due to the glowing praise I read for it.

Sounds like it might be a perfect entry point for series newbies like me so. 🙂

Once they get this and the Elden Ring dlc out the door, they need to give us some Bloodborne love (although my eldest is hoping for Sekiro dlc too).

I think my issue was the only one I played is considered quite a poor entry in the series, AC4 and I was told I should have started with 'For Answer' which funnily enough was miyazakis first creative roles in game dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

If you're going to play For Answer then starting with AC4 is actually the way to go. It's a fairly bare bones game but a perfectly fine onboarding to FA

FA is weird tho, it's so blisteringly fast and imo it doesn't really provide the same satisfaction as the earlier titles when it comes to tweaking. A lot of things get streamlined in it and mechs can turn on a dime with the quick boost and quick turn abilities, which look like they come back in VI. But VI's pace looks not as insane as FA so maybe a balance is preserved there a bit

Last Raven is the one I had most fun with. It's the first one Miyazaki worked on, as a planner, before going on to direct AC4 and FA. Obsessing over turning speed and stability and all that fun stuff meant a lot of time in the garage

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Vaati has a new video out on it too.

I just want to hear more of that soundtrack.

• Advertisement

Looks like it’s kicking off midnight Irish time. Looking forward to this (although not interested in pvp).

Advertisement