Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armored Core VI - Fires of Rubicon (From)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Not interested in PVP but it did look cool

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I think I only had two instances of stutter with Elden Ring on PC so was grand for me. Wonder will AC6 be the last new game they release on that engine so? Seems to be getting on a bit.

Probably going to get this on PS5 though as the eldest lad is looking forward to it also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m definitely on the fence about it, despite interest being piqued. By all accounts it’s a very different game than ‘Souls, but mechs’ - appropriately so given the series, but will definitely wait to hear from a few Armoured Core newcomers to see how they fare with it. I’m not into fidgety mech customisation and builds, so want to hear how much that factors into it relative to the more action game side of things. And close proximity to Baldur’s Gate 3 on PS5 means I’m happy to hold off a while to hear how folks get on :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was definitely there all the time and very bad. Might just not be sensitive to it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wonder when the reviews are out? Not that it'll matter to most of us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Unlocks after work tomorrow on PC. Have a busy weekend so I'll at least get to play a bit of it. I really hope they fixed the shader stutter issues or have a shader comp step but this is From Software so not holding out hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Game looks great. Going to give it a go this weekend as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭McFly85

5/5 from Eurogamer, few 8/10s around too.

The story and length of the campaign seem to be the big criticisms, but gameplay looks to be universally lauded. Looking forward to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Got a bit of a bang of Returnal like gameplay during that trailer, and the ad looks glorious in 4k60. Will pick it up physical just in case it's more Souls than action.m, but im liking the look of everything so far.

It's definitely not a Souls like. The developers in interviews seem to be very annoyed with all the western press asking them about Souls inspiration in the game to which they exasperatingly reply 'It's just an armored core game'. Miyazaki has said him self he just wanted to make a game that sticks to armored core and not reinvent it.

I'm reading a few reviews and the narrative criticisms seem to miss the mark. It really sounds like they didn't get it as it's coming across as very AC. All the games around trying to survive in an end stage capitalist nightmare. The dull grey military environments highlight it and the fact you are told nothing as you are just another expendable pawn in the machinery of mega corporations vying for more profits while destroying the world around them in their fight against each other.

I'm all aboard for that. I mean it's a series where the ending of one game is you committing mass genocide on company orders by taking down ships escaping the planet and being reminded with each one you take down 'well done, that's another 20 million dead'.

I fully expect the Vaati Vidya videos going in depth on the story and themes.

I've always confused this series with Front Mission, so I don't really know what it was like previously. Souls-like worries were genuine because of their recent run of success with that series/type, wouldn't be unexpected for it to merge over. Maybe there's a 3rd franchise option: Dark Core, AC gameplay with DS "difficulty".

Anyway, reviews are good, sounds and looks amazing, I'll probably pick this up Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Best thing to think of going in is not Souls or Returnal. Best to look at is as Gran Turismo with robot combat.

If you enjoy tweaking stats and tuning stuff, picking parts out and optimising it for a gameplan to deal with a tough mission, that's what this game is about. Missions can be about 10 minutes, but maybe you spend an hour in the garage picking parts out. That's the kind of series this is

Souls is very far from it. Certain design concepts map across I guess, this has a posture system like Sekiro. But then again, the old games had overheating and shields so it's not that new a concepts either.

Yep, it's a series for mech perverts.

Anyway, I can't find anything about shader stutter but looks like the PC port supports ultrawide resolution and 120Hz. At least they haven't gimped ultrawide on purpose like they did with Elden Ring.

Current mood:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Quick go of this. Played the opening level and the first two missions.

First the PC port. From have got their **** together with the engine at least. Runs buttery smooth on my 6900xt. 60 fps at 3440 x 1440 (supports Ultrawide) maxed out. Also absolutely no sign of any shader compilation issues.

Gameplay, this is definitely an Armored Core game and not a souls game. Fairly simple controls, multiple layers of complexity. The ACs are an absolute joy to control, it has the freedom of movement from AC4 but instead of being able to boost and fly constantly, you have to return to the ground to recharge boost. It's a much better system. The level of customisation is crazy but it is an AC game and I spent most of my time with the game in the garage making my AC pretty and debating what compromises I needed to make to get a better AC.

Early days but it's a very strong first impression.

Have to leave it there now until Monday. My girlfriend needs to understand the sacrifices I make for her.

• Advertisement

Cheers Retr0. You playing it using kb + mouse or a joypad?

Anyone else playing it on PS5? Wondering how it runs on console as I'll prob need to get it on that system first.

Gamepad. It suits gamepad better since there's a lock on and 4 weapon systems to juggle, one on each shoulder button. Just feels more natural on gamepad.

I heard it's 30 FPS on all consoles unless you get the PS4 Pro version and play it on PS5 which bumps it up to 60 fps. There's not other quality or performance settings which is a shame as it really feels great in 60. Can only imagine how good 120 is.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

Lol you just reminded me all the previews I've seen of folks playing have beein using gamepads. Only 30fps on console, hmmm will need to think about that so. It's a tenner cheaper on PC too.

Don't think that's accurate, IGN's performance review shows the PS5 and XBX native versions both running at 60FPS (in frame rate mode).

Sorry, seems you are correct. Current gen 60 FPS, old gen consoles 30 fps.

Game seems less demanding than Elden Ring so I imagine it will be a lot more stable.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

Cheers! Frame rate mode on PS5 looks good enough for me so.

Picked this up physical yesterday, just in case. I'm not ashamed to admit, it took me 8 tries to kill the helicoptor on the intro mission. I thought great, fun appearing game with Souls-level bosses. Nothing I was doing was working. Closest I got was 25% of its health left. I was about to give up and call it a failed attempt, but had a quick sconce online and read about basically just using melee on it, because that makes complete sense, melee vs helicoptor. Worked though... And every mission since has been grand. Well, aside from some of the optional mech battles. I may come back to them eventually.

Customisation is crazy detailed, I'd imagine there will be some serious builds on display. It's great to have it though, in a time when changing your colour can cost in game grind or actual money. Reminds me of the early days. The options for upgrading though, it's not gonna be fun for people who like simplicity I reckon. Pressed some button where it shows different stats, and there's letters and references I don't understand. Having never played one of these before, or maybe tried an old one once, I didn't realise it would be this detailed (I also don't watch videos before releases now if possible) so it may take some getting used to.

For now, I'm just ploughing on and buying the upgraded versions of interior modules. Working towards a new body type next, only about 5 or 6 missions done. Gameplay is good on the PS5. Have it set for performance so runs buttery smooth. Simple enough gameplay but can get wild. The auto-aim is taking a bit of getting used to. Trying to figure out if I wanna go the tank or melee route, but seeing as the only melee weapon so far is the starting one I'll probably head tank route initially. Do you know if you can have multiple mechs/saved layouts? Would be a pain to have to change every part every time you want to try something different.

I'm also enjoying the old school mission approach. Something nice about just picking a level, starting it, and more or less being done 10-15 minutes later. There doesn't appear to be collectables, at least for now, but the scanner blurb mentions something about pickups so I'm not sure. I was treating it initially like most games where I was searching all areas, but I don't think this is that kind of game. Seems to be "go do the thing, great you're done." I think the story is also trying to make me feel bad for doing what I do, but I don't have a choice so it's not really working. I'm also presuming there's no morality/choice system based on what I've done so far. I like that.

Never thought I'd see myself enjoying a FromSoftware game. But here I am. Will only take one ridiculous boss encounter with multiple deaths to completely turn me off though. Time will tell!

Loving how bleak this game is although the way the different corporations talk is kind of scarily similar to how the executive class in my own industry talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭brady12

What's the difficulty like ?

Advertisement