Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Mad_Lad

I find it much more relaxing in the id3 in D not having to constantly be on the throttle to adjust speed, if I'm going down a hill I can lift my foot off and chill or on other roads I can coast sometimes for a substantial distance depending on conditions and not have to keep my foot on the throttle for ideal speeds.

Coming off a motorway off ramp I can completely lift off the throttle ( or knock off the cruise/travel assist) without having my foot on anything until I need to brake.

So to say your foot is always on the accelerator is nonsense. It might "have to be" in some cars especially on cars like the BMW i3 where you can't turn it off, as I said, I usually use it in town only but thankfully I have the choice to turn off one pedal driving as it irritates the hell out of me being forced to use something I hate most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Not even going to try and treat that seriously. Life's too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭dodzy

as I said, it’s there as a STANDARD/HIGH setting as it is. Standard is nothing in fairness. High, you can definitely feel. A rejig to the Options list to display:

OFF

MED(equal to the current HIGH setting)

HIGH(similar to the Tesla)

That would cater for all preferences.

You just don't know how to drive properly, that's all, a lot of us who came from the hybrid world learned how to squeeze out as much efficiency as we could and discovered that coasting can greatly improve your efficiency. Known as pulse and glide in the Prius world at the time but it did have one pedal driving, there was a certain throttle position that allowed coasting but don't need this thankfully in a car that coasts when you lift off the throttle, you heard of kinetic energy ?

One pedal driving was invented exactly for people like you who don't know how to drive efficiently. Regen isn't as efficient as coasting, regen is good when you actually need to brake, coasting using no energy allows you to continue on energy you already used, regen isn't nearly as efficient as that.

The engineers of the ID3 were clever enough not to enforce one pedal driving because they know it's more efficient when you coast and regen brake then only when you must.

Post edited by Mad_Lad on

To be honest, no amount of regen is as efficient as coasting on energy you already used. And I hate the car dragging feeling when I know I should be able to coast faster or way further using no energy, no matter the level of regen as I said though, good to have options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I read that the ID3 has a coast and regen mode selected using the gear selector, in practice would a skilled driver be switching between modes while driving. How does this system compare to Kia/Hyundai paddle system?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭dodzy

perfect place for out of site Toll Tag with a double-sided adhesive sponge pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It was 50 last Sept , but seems with the boom in byd sales the suppliers are making hay gradually went up to 60 then 70 80 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭boosabum

Be interested to get a bit more of your take on this. I was looking at moving from a high end e220d to a M3HL. The M3 has all the features and functions of the MB except for gesture control opening for the boot. The cost to change is fantastic as far as I can see

The M3 interior is on a par with the e class and and I've had issues with the mb that I shouldn't have seen based on low milage.

Are you more referring to the mechanism bits and bobs being more high end on BMW etc ?

In the id3 you have D for normal Drive and this has 0 regen when you lit off the throttle, however, there are some gimmicky and very annoying modes you have buried in menus to deactivate first that I can't remember off the top of my head or what happens is the car starts to regen coming up to junctions and roundabouts. Then you have B mode for one pedal driving.

Going downhill in D it will enable a bit of regen like a lot of automatics have hill sensing abilities and downshift to enable engine braking, yes, you'd be very surprised how many people don't downshift a gear or 2 in a manual and just ride the brakes all the time going down long hills but to stop this slight regen when going downhill in the id3 you can simply blip the throttle and it coasts again. However, newer id3s could have this implemented differently.

If going down a long steep hills, for example, I'm up the Wicklow Hills coming down Turlough Hill either heading towards Laragh or Hollywood direction I often just leave it in B and then use the one pedal braking to variably adjust the regen because this is actually when I want regen braking and lots of it and the id3 regen is very strong. I remember doing all this in the MK II 2007 Prius and the battery would fill up in no time, you're hear the battery fan come on and then it would fill up and then it would have to use the friction brakes.

In order to change between modes in the ID3 you simply twist the gear leaver forward and backwards to get from D to B and back.

Hyundai and Kia do this a lot better or did, I don't know if they still do ? you had flappy paddles each side of the steering, one was for going up the different levels and one for going back down so you could get 0 regen then level 1,2,3 etc, this is a far better system and gives people choice, the BMW i3 would drive me mad at times because I couldn't change it.

• Advertisement

I'd say it's overall build quality, cabin noise, rattles and squeaks that would set them apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The E class would be a close second, not much in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Thanks for that the VW system sounds fairly good (and better than Tesla's) but paddles would appear to be a lot better. The Megane EV has paddles too according to this, pity its drag coefficient is so bad. Anyhow going off the BYD topic now so will leave it.

https://gb.e-guide.renault.com/eng/Megane-E/REGENERATIVE-BRAKING-SYSTEM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Put mine over the exact opposite side. If you're ordering that camera that's the cable you're plugging in to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The M3H is a significantly different car to the older models, both in terms of build quality and finishes. But it is still a mass produced family 4 door car, the same as any Toyota, BYD, Kia, MG and dare I say it, modern BMW's (which have gone downhill lately)

Mercedes is one of the few with plush interiors in their electric range IMO and I say that after driving 190km in a 241 E300De over the weekend. Gorgeous car, lovely interior, 400bhp, nice features but it was €88,000. It was fab, but it wasn't twice as good as a M3h or BYD Seal fab if you get me.

The only advice is to go drive the cars in question. Very little between them with regards to materials and rattles etc

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭boosabum

Agreed, what's the plushness factor worth in euros. Only thing I can point to is any second hand BMW or mercedes is very easy to shift once someone's takes a test drive

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Oonagh123

Looking forward to hearing about the items you purchased whenever you receive them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

I ordered a few accessories from here and was happy with what I got.

https://www.topbyd.com/collections/byd-seal-accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭AUDI20

Just be aware its worth checking other supplies on Aliexpress, the under console tray is €26 on that site I got both the under one upper trays for €27 in total. I have bought a huge amount of stuff for the Seal and the prices can really vary. also check their shipping prices.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

+1

Also check if some stores have multiple buys for free shipping etc

• Advertisement

What was the fix for the sticking door handles? Starting on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭grumpygit

Plenty of WD-40 or equivalent. If it is stuck in the closed position try pressing in the front part of handle while you unlock with key.( Think doing it that way allows door handle to open, seems like rear end of handle might be slow to open and gets stuck when front section opens too quick for it) once open lashings of wd-40

Use a Silicone Spray, don't use WD40 its a cleaner not a lubricant although gives some temporary lubrication. Buya can of silicone spray it's specifically designed for this type of application where plastics are in play.

Mine never had the issue but I decided preventatively to apply silicone spray in there last week.

Cheers lads. I'd rarely use WD40 anywhere to be honest. There's nearly always a better solution.

I have plenty of GT7 by Tec7 and GT85. They're probably worse in fairness. But it'll go rooting for something silicone based.

Most motor factors will have silicone spray. Lidl even have it from time to time.

Thanks all.

Cheers @grumpygit

That description fits with what I'm thinking.

Thanks @listermint

I've found the silicone based stuff already @prawnsambo

I see some Australian producers starting the toe bar manufacture. Removable ideal for bikes. Which is what I'd be looking for. Hopefully some European places catch on.

https://www.evts.com.au/products/byd-seal-towbar-wiring

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

For those of you having trouble with the sticking door handles do you actually open the rear doors much? Mine would be getting opened every day with the kids and haven't noticed any issues so far

I bought the sunglasses case for roof/head unit and a silicon insert for the lower center console from aliexpress. About €30 for the 2 of them, a lot cheaper topbyd which is just a drop shipping site. Fitted them over the weekend and they seem pretty good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭grumpygit

Was rear door with mine which wasn't opened very often. Was just about permanently stuck on closed position. Fixed in garage about a month ago with silicone spray and no issues with it since. Guy told me WD-40 would do the trick either, I was afraid it might damage the paintwork but he said it would be grand however I think I would go with listermints advice on silicone ( think there might actually be different versions of WD-40,could be wrong though)

• Advertisement

Mine are opened 10 times a day every day. Kids in and out.

Advertisement