Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭clancynl

Hi

Quick question for all. We've just been informed that a Seal that was to be due in 3 weeks from Enniscorthy is now going to take 4 months for I've Blue or Atlantis Grey. Is this normal?

Thinking of bailing and taking my business elsewhere.

Thanks

N

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not that it’s normal but BYD had a good supply of cars at the start. That was October to Feb of this year.

It could just be the colour combo you’ve selected. Have to tried altering the interior and exterior paint colour to see if there’s one any sooner?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As above. Check to see if there are other options. Maybe even try other dealers. I'm not convinced they talk to each other or share information. There may be other vehicles available. They did take a big surge in popularity after the rds show though so not surprising orders went up and availability down. Cancellations could be another thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭AUDI20

When I ordered mine is was looking for Ice Blue or Atlantis Grey but was told I could be waiting 2 months before I get one, had the option of taking the White one the following week which I did and no regrets. BYD Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Same. Ice Blue as soon as the money changed hands or a couple of months for what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Sealman

What colour would you have gone for rather than the ice blue? When I was looking for one BYD North Dublin had the ice blue colour I wanted but only awd, I wanted rwd but was told it would take 2-3 months for rwd so I took the awd. No regreats now, power is awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

What firmware version are people on these days?

I'm still on 23.10 (I think there was a minor OTA, maybe 2401, that many people got but I did not, maybe related to the fact I manually downgraded and upgraded so that I could sideload apps).

I see 2403 is rolling out with ADAS noise improvements, wireless carplay and it enables remote vehicle location services within the app.

Tempted to manually install it but I may wait a few days! Been burned many times before being an early adopter!

I'm on 2310, when I do the software update check I get told that I'm on the latest version, 1.12.

Haven't heard of anyone in Ireland getting 2401 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RoyRitar

Thanks for the reviews guys.

Thanks All.

It's looking like a demand vs supply thing for now so judging by responses.

And just for the record, I don't mean to detract from Enniscorthy staff at all, we were treated impeccably from start to finish. We were just left deflated after a 3 week promise was extended to a 4 month wait. If they knew such before the sale, a healthy dose of full transparency would have went down a lot easier in the long run.

We'll stay put for the wait I guess, and enjoy keeping up with developments here along the way. The v2 Seal Battery is intriguing, and might raise that with the dealer to see if its an option on the new arrivals in Sept.

Thanks again all for the input.

• Advertisement

Not OTA in Ireland yet but it's beginning to roll out in other countries so should be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

It's the one car I didn't sit in at the RDS show, I couldn't get near it for the time I was there. Huge interest in it, there were 3 and 4 people in it every time I circled around to it

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭AUDI20

Just keep putting pressure on the dealers, I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Oonagh123

Random thought… if the update was available in the UK and you took your car to the north, would it update?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

If it's like Tesla then no as it's car specific.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Buttros

Charged my seal at ionity cashel yesterday. Wasn't keeping that close an eye on things but when I looked at the BYD app to see how it was progressing it was charging at something like 154 kw. Charged more than planned there. 37 kWh on my 16 mins stop. Starting at about 14% soc if I remember correctly. Very fast. By far the fastest I've seen since I got my seal (granted 90% + of charging is done at home)

People seem to dislike Ionity as they are among the most expensive but for me they're the best.

Expensive enough that many people avoid, so in my 3 years of EV usage I've only had to queue once at Cashel on a BH weekend (maybe 10 mins IIRC), never had to queue at Kill North or South, or Dublin North.

They're the most reliable too, any issues just call the number and a reboot usually resolves the charger.

Hardware problems tend to get fixed quickly as well. They're well worth the premium for longer journeys. I use them maybe 12 times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭dodzy

Lads, on average, how much is the charge per kwh at one of these charge points ?

Ionity is around 70 cents if you just rock up and use it.

There are various monthly subscription options though that reduce the price down as far as 28 cents I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

100% for the few times i use it its worth the premium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭eagerv

They're the most reliable too, any issues just call the number and a reboot usually resolves the charger.

I used to use them a good bit when I had an ID First, VW gave us a generous free allocation of 2000kWh. Had to call them I think twice when the unit had to be rebooted, was quick and in each case there was no charge for the charge🙂. And I was trying to use up my free allocation..😁

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Blackadder11

Hi, granted we do not have heavy mileage but it's working out great on Bord Gais once we are disciplined to plugging in one or other eV. €1.50 to charge for three hours at 7.07c per kWh to add 21 kWH is the best deal I can see. We just keep both topped up so we don't get caught out if a long distance journey is required at short notice. The three-hour window won't suit everyone. Using the Ohme app, in-car stats and esbnetworks.ie/myaccount (see picture) to verify stats.

So, related to above, what is the latest wisdom on charging to 100% (or less) for Seal battery as opposed to older technologies? Most appear to say 100%, a few die-hards still saying 80-85%. Tis was mentioned by Conor Faughnan on Newstalk today but it may have been in the context of time to charge on the public charging network.

After a few days of timing washing machine and dishwasher to 2am-5am, I went with the wife's receommendation of avoiding this especially after the fire service indicated that it is not a good idea even if the number of incidents is very low. Low frequency, high impact makes me reticent to be the 0.1% (or lower?) quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭dodzy

Is it just me, but convenience of speed-charging aside, that's extortionate pricing. I figured that 70c/kwh was approx the equivalent of my 2012 BMD diesel spend when converted. I'm doing 450-500km approx per week and charging at home for less that a tenner. My weekly mileage coupled with the 4hrs per night at 7.5c is probably the sweet spot in fairness.

Charge away. I run mine down to single digits once a month but otherwise if it's 80% or so I plug it in.

Have the same plan I think, some black Friday deal or other. I charge for 5 hours though. Not worried about the extra few quid and I only plug in once every few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Blackadder11

Yeah, so the radio reception is not great, down to not having the shark(fin?) aerial common on a lot of cars is my best guess. Also very annoying is my ignorance of being able to scroll through, or even select, tuned-in stations rather than moving up and down the (FM) radio spectrum.
    What am I missing? I cannot simply move to the next "Favourite" in the list by touchscreen, scroll bar or voice command (optimistically shouted "Tune in to Newstalk" 😊)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It “may” get harder to get the car now as got a call from BYD yesterday. Clear glass is now available for taxi use.

Many had to cancel because of it but we may see some Seal Taxis in the coming months.

I can make a gourmet coffee at home for a few cents and yet when I'm travelling or out and about I'm willing to pay the bones of a fiver. Same thing really.

Paying for the convenience of motorway fast charging and the reliability of the product.

I value it as I only use it 10 or 12 times a year.

I do 95% of my charging at home on a night rate of 13 cent or "free" via my solar surplus.

Love to see it! Given the 2 EVs we have and the 15kw of batteries I'm not yet ready to switch to a smart tariff but the D/N is still quite competitive for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Sealman

Just wondering if anyone is using the high option on the regenitive braking, just found the car really slowed down when you take your foot off the accelerator pedal when I tried it. Didnt really like the sensation

Advertisement