Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Right, this is the file I downloaded and renamed:

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭DrPsychia

@Gumbo did you decide yet between the Seal AWD and new M3P yet, or are you waiting for a M3P test drive? M3P is quicker of course but the AWD Seal is the better overall package for the price IMO. At least you'd have reliable auto wipers😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭djan

What's the OTR price and expected range of the M3P? I assume price will be a bit higher and then there's the argument of is anything faster than the 3.8s of the Seal really useable/necessary?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I haven’t tbh

Both of them offer no value to pay to swap. Current M3P is faster than the Seal AWD and handles better based on my experience. Not enough in both of them to justify a 20k or 30k payout for a reg plate.

I’ve been driving one for the last week though. Very similar to the Tesla. Nothing is better but nothing is worse. It’s kinda personal choice which you pick at this stage.

One thing is for sure, I won’t jump before driving the new M3P first.

I also took an ID4 GTX for a week. Not for me. Nothing in it. Nothing, performance is weak. The 204bhp version is lacking and the GTX felt as bad at mid 70’s SOC. It felt no difference to the eNiro I drove to the garage in.

Double post

• Advertisement

€61k

Not sure of range but should be similar to the AWD Seal 400’ish every day

Current older M3P is already faster so that’s that side of things covered. It’s personal choice and how each car puts that power down.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭AUDI20

Succes Thanks to all the help on here, got 2403 update installed this evening after a long day of failures. Started from scratch and downloaded from Firefox. No problem. Safari was my problem all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭djan

Thanks for the info. At that price given the lesser features of the M3 not much reason to go for it just for the extra performance IMO.

Not sure the M3 has less features to be honest. Just both do the same thing in different ways.

It’s more noticeable at the lower end. I wouldn’t say the RWD Seal is worth €8k more than the RWD Model 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Brianod73

Trying to downgrade to 2307 to sideload apps before updrading to 2403. Followed all the steps and process initiates but after few mins says Verification of Upgrade Failure and brings up a Close button. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Have tried multiple times usi g the files from Xinger Tech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Another nice feature I hadn't noticed but I think only appeared in 2403.

Vertical 3 finger swipe on the screen manages temperature control

Horizontal 3 finger swipe on the screen manages fan speed.

Slightly easier than swiping up and entering the controls.

Duplicate

Are you going from 2403 direct to 2307 or via 2310?

Currently on 2310 and looking to go down to 2307. Once sideload will then look to go to 2403

Do you have a screenshot of the error message?
    Typically if it's a config or setup issue the downgrade fails immediately - unusual for it to kick off and then fail later.

You mentioned verification failure, does your car have mobile data/ wifi enabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

You are not altering the contents (or rename anything) related to the files within the zip folder?

You definitely downloaded the correct files from his shared cloud drive ? 131.33.xxxx?

You have the naming of all folders correct?

You do not have a zip.zip extension on the important folder?

Did yoy try alternate USB stick?

It was the USB that was the problem. Used 4gb USB, big enough for the download but think need more spave for it to work. Was able to downgrade, sideload and update to 2403 withoit issues on larger USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 EFX

The phone app had a survey added to it last night,

1. likely to recommend to someone
    2. the dealer satisfaction / customer experience

made the point in the first about slow role out of OTA updates relative to other countries.

It depends needs and wants. Seal RWD comes with 6 year/150k general warranty (4years/80k with M3), 8 year/200k battery/drive unit warranty (160k with M3 RWD). Parking sensors, 85km more range (as per ev-database), 360 camera, wireless apple carplay, wired android auto, rear cross traffic alert, rain sensor, stalks, better blind spot warning implementation, slightly quicker acceleration, BYD doesn't have the constant bingbongs from 'autopilot'/'autosteer' engagement/disengagement, better thermally insulated panoramic sunroof, easier access isofix points, no phantom breaking from BYD's version of 'autopilot', vehicle to load, no dysfunctional wipers, more rear passenger space,

Seal has a more premium interior; sound system is probably par with M3 RWD but definitely nowhere near M3LR.

M3 offers Matrix lights, One-pedal-driving, Sentry (Might be coming soon to Seal), better app at present, ranger service, more storage space, supercharging network isn't a pro anymore since they opened all chargers apart from Sandyford.

If you compare cost per kilometre of range, the Seal is actually better value: M3 RWD €38,607, Seal RWD €45,986
    M3RWD costs €93 per kilometre of range (415km average as per ev-database)
    BYD Seal RWD costs €92 per Kilometre of range(500km average as per ev-database)

Yeah seems loads of differences based on that list alright.

Warranty is the big stand out item there to me. All of the other things are personal tastes and likes.

I wasn’t aware all supercharging sites in Ireland are open except sandyford. I thought it was still just the 4?

Your cost per km on range is a bit misleading though as the seal requires 82kwh to travel that 500km (EVDB figure) where as the M3 only needs 60 kWh to do the 415km (EVDB Figure). Have you factored that into the figures?

Even using both those figures from EVDB can be incorrect many of the RWD owners in the FB group report 450km range in eco mode. My brothers is 23.6kwh/100km at the moment in the AWD.

I won’t argue the quality of interior etc as that’s very subjective alright and what some see as better, others will see as cheap same for the minimalist design I suppose.

2 great options for people in the saloon market which is very limited IMO

• Advertisement

Sorry to nitpick but android auto has been wireless since the car was launched, apple carplay was wired until 2403 update (which isn't yet OTA), since 2403 apple carplay is also now wireless.

I don't believe it's misleading. Cost per kWh of battery is overall lower with Seal, but also range per € is better than M3.

Seal RWD: 45,986/82.5 = €557 per kWh
    Model 3 RWD: 38,607/60 = €643 per kWh

I mean yeah, if you're looking purely at efficiency, M3 is the best but still get less range per €.

M3 RWD: 415/57.5 = 7.22 km/kWh
    Seal RWD: 500/82.5 = 6.06 km/kWh

EV-Database headline range is just an average between the worst and best efficiency. Both Seal and M3 can average higher or lower efficiency depending on many variables. M3's can average worse efficiency than Ev-database's average estimate. I'm not cherry picking, I'm using data from a database that's reputable and regularly referred to on various forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

One advantage of the Seal over the Tesla is the free colour options, both externally and internally. I think Tesla is missing a trick there, the price rapidly goes up if you want any other colour but white out and black in.

Otherwise very much a personal choice, great to see two good, reasonably priced, well equipped saloon cars..

I’m not trying to argue btw. Just cross referencing….

So the cost to travel 100km is cheaper in the Model 3 but the cost to buy is cheaper in the Seal.

Assume a round figure of 10c/kwh

415km is €6 in the M3.
    500km is €8.20 in the Seal. (€6.80 pro rata to 415km).
    So very little in it based on EVDB figures.

yep you're right, add interior option to that also. The Taihiti blue is a free option also for the seal, white interior costs €1200 for the M3

€1200 plus the added VRT costs. So can work out more.
    Realistically the BYD blue interior won’t age well IMO. Black is the way to go. But again, it’s a personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

indeed, but as @eagerv said, most colour options are free, same with interior.

Thus considering all of that, including extra warranty, I think the Seal represents the best overall value.

Cost difference to run afterwards is peanuts really, anyone who can afford a a new M3 or Seal wouldn't notice it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jaymac430

I can’t post the link, but there is an excellent YouTube review that ties in perfectly to the discussion above (especially that everything is basically std on the Seal).
    Reviewer is Auto Social UK and review is “This car blew me away……

Technically the M3 is probably better in many ways, but after having driven both (and bought a Seal RWD in Atlantis Grey with blue interior), imo the Seal is km?😀 ahead of the M3

Advertisement