Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Go

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah I've a 2018 LG tv and app not available at all.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Prime time hurling season and we're nearly 3 weeks without a game on national TV, some promotion from the GAA.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They were never PPV, they were subscription for a long time. For a few years you actually needed 2 subscriptions

URC games were also subscription based for a time. This season all the Munster/Leinster/Connacht games are on FTA. Also Munster had 4 of their 4 pool Champions Cup games on Free to Air and Leinster had 3 of theirs with all of the knock-outs they were involved in being Free to Air also.

This was more a bit of luck and the way things fell than anything else though we are always going to have 2 games FTA for each club at european level

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that while other sports are trying to move away from the subscription or pay-to-view model the GAA seem to be doing the exact opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is because people were happy enough that their Premier League subscription also included GAA and provincial rugby. However, they are not prepared to cancel their Premier League subscription and pay for GAA coverage.

Huh? Move away from subscriptions?

Premier League will have all non-Saturday 3.00 kick-offs in the next deal, a big increase.

EFL is moving to have all games shown.

• Advertisement

Sorry - I meant specifically in Ireland. To use the example of soccer the League of Ireland is regularly shown on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 24,951 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

LOI also has a subscription service so it is exactly the same as the GAA with it's RTE/online split.

And "in Ireland" is a very small sample size. Domestic rugby at a TV broadcast is 4 teams which have an average but not astounding fanbase and a soccer scene that would be Sunday league in bigger countries. Rugby commands a decent TV package because it's 5/6 countries pooled together and before those days it was a nothing sport really at domestic level. So the GAA doesn't have a domestic comparison.

LOI TV is hardly comparable to GAA Go. If RTE were to show all 20 LOI games every weekend there would be nothing else on the telly at the weekends. Also the pricing is much more acceptable. With LOI TV you get over 450 games for €120, 27c/game, while You get 38 games for €80 on GAA Go or €2.10/game. To say it's the exact same is a stretch I think

"In ireland" is the exact sample size we are talking about here for GAA Go so it's completely relevant to use it as a benchmark

I think the inter-county hurling/football and the provincial rugby setups are good comparisons to make. You could argue URC is on par with the All Ireland Hurling/Football Leagues and URC/Champions Cup is comparable to the All-Ireland. The international rules series is probably the closest comparison we have to the national team. Not sure why you would think otherwise

URC at an Irish level is way below where the GAA is. Overall URC can command resources beyond the GAA so no there is no comparison.

LOITV is cheaper the same way tickets for LOI are cheaper. Pure and simply because it is a smaller organisation that needs to be cheap to get people in. If LOI could they would charge more.

Every sport works out what it needs Vs what it can realistically generate.

There are 20 teams in the League of Ireland which gives 10 games per weekend.

Next weekend, there are 12 Gaelic Football matches taking place, before you count hurling.

The number of GAA games on RTE in 2010 was 40. This year, there are 37 men's games, plus camogie and LGFA, which weren't covered at all in 2010.

• Advertisement

URC at an Irish level is way below where the GAA is.

I'd disagree with this one. Maybe not as big in Connacht but there's regularly 10k+ going to games in Thomond, Ravenhill and the RDS. Interpro games regularly hitting 20k+ yes the GAA gets 40k+ to Cork/Limerick once a year but what was the attendance at Carlow V Kilkeeny last weekend? 7k?

Yes, 20 teams, not 20 games, is what I meant, apologies. 37 games over 8-10 weeks isn't really a whole lot in my books considering the number of games from other sports shown Free To Air

The 12 Football games this weekend I presume is down to there being 4 inter provincial competitions (plus the Tailtean Cup?) being played at the same weekend? Is there a reason some of these can't be offered to TV3 or even put on GAA Go without having to pay a subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

You look at Dublin - how many people have attended a LOI match this year; how many people have attended a GAA match in Parnell Park or Croke Park.

The LOI games are sold out. There is a long waiting list at Bohs for season tickets. Between them - Pats, Bohs, Rover and Shels have total attendance of 20,000 for home games. They have each had 8 home games so far this year - thats a total attendance of 160,000 so far this year.

Would the GAA have more than that in Dublin so far this year? I doubt it….would barely have half that.

To your point - LOI have priced it properly and are delivering a good product. GAA isnt doing that in Leinster especially. I'd be pretty sure a lot of fans thought - €40 to see Dublin hammer Louth/ Meath/ whoever?….. nah….

• Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Is there a reason some of these can't be offered to TV3

Yes there is a reason.

It's because Virgin Media (TV 3) don't have the infrastructure to broadcast them.

If they had they would have bid for a rights package last year.

Munster get 10k+ to a URC game. Cork or Limerick get that on their own for a league game and that's before factoring in the other 4 counties.

Munster average 13k, Leinster 20k, Connacht 5.5k and Ulster 13k which is pretty small compared to the combined totals of those provinces in their favoured Gaelic game.

€40 to see the Dubs in Leinster ?

It's €25 if I'm not mistaken. I don't disagree that Leinster football and provincial football in general is broken though.

And ya the LOI in Dublin sounds class and I'm envious but down here in the 3rd biggest city we keep going bankrupt and have Cork and Galway a number of times. It's nowhere near comparable to GAA nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

and there will now be nearly 3 weeks with only hurling and no football, so equal treatment

and as for the suggestion that Munster get their own TV deal, well, thats been done with the Ulster Chp with BBC - BUT not all games are shown live, some are delayed AND all has to be coordinated with Croke Park

As it stands, the Gaa Go reciepts on the odd Munster game shown do go into the greater pot, from memory counties do get a little extra if a game is televised, but the real money is the gate reciepts . For the 46000 at PUC, if tickets are an average of say 20 euro (my random estimate considering kids only paying a fiver, cheaper terrace tickets etc) thats 920,000 Euro for just one game. The reciepts for the Limerick v Tipp game with 33,500 attending wouldnt be much less - but indeed may have been higher if it were on Gaago !

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Butson

Exactly. Irish people are sports fans in general. This weekend on Sky, you are getting the final round of Premier League, PGA Major from the States, Super rugby and lots more. Most people paying around €15/€20 a month for Sky sports.

One game on Gaa Go is €12 and you need good broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Leinster final was €40….previous games €30 afaik.

The attendances in general are not that far off what LOI is getting. There are exceptions - but any of the Leinster hurling games so far this year are getting 5000 or 6000 at best, and sometimes a lot lower. And there are far fewer games than LOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

Gaago should offer separate deals for Gaelic Football and Hurling. I’d gladly pay say €50 to watch the hurling.

• Advertisement

30 for a walkover is pretty steep. In comparison it's 25 for terrace and 30 seated for Munster hurling which is a good price for what you get.

I can't get my head around Leinster hurling. They cry when Munster look down on them and try tell us it's great and on years like this where is has been great there is no sign of the fans.

TV3 did have some games back around 2010/2011 though if memory serves and they have the infrastructure to broadcast roughly half of the 6 Nations every year… In any case, it doesn't explain why GAA Go have to charge a subscription and can't show the games for free

You could be on to something there… The current split is 29 football to 9 Hurling for €80. A fairer split there would be closer to €15-€20 for the hurling, something which a lot of people would probably pay for

The 6 Nations is filmed by 1 group and sent out to each host broadcaster. Virgin will only show sport under this model.

Virgin were offered Gaelic games but told the GAA they only work with prepackaged sport.

How could the GAA show the games for free. Do you mean run GAAgo as a free service ?

I'm not so sure about that, Cork/Kilkenny probably the biggest and pulled about 16k the rest of the attendances were about 5-8k. Was there ~12k at the final? 50k at Leinster V Munster back in October and 28k at the reverse fixture for comparison

I was unaware that VM were offered packages… Exactly that with GAA Go though. If hurling was a bigger sport wouldn't the broadcasters be more likely to want to show them on Free to Air and milk the advertising revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dohboy

GAAGo offer three of your choice games for €24.

And it's €12 for a single game which means all 7 hurling games will cost €60

I would have no problem with free GAAgo as long as it wasn't too expensive with GAA paying to run GAAgo paying RTE to film the games and show them at a loss.

Advertising revenue for a small single country probably would not make a profit. Soccer and rugby can do it because one broadcast can be resold in multiple countries.

Advertising revenue for a small single country probably would not make a profit.

Advertising works fairly well for 6 of our 8 TV channels and numerous radio stations.

GAA Go is international. Whatever they show can be beamed all over the world on the same service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

€12 for a single game and you can can only view it once. The same probably applies to the 3 for €24 offer.

• Advertisement

Advertisement