Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Go

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

He 100% tied both together. And of course, I'll wait for your argument that Munster hurling is not the main (probably only thing) GGAGO has going for it…. let's be realistic.

Antrim is not hurling focused. It has a job on its hands up there.
    All money generated by Munster counties should be reinvested in Munster competitions and counties. That's hardly a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Meursault

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The GAA is an All Ireland body, bub, what are you trying to suggest.?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

GAA president Jarlath Burns has said that he is "very surprised" by criticism of the GAAGO service from the Government, adding that "you would almost think there was an election coming up."

As far as I know there is elections coming up soon haha!

RTÉ was contractually obliged to show the two provincial football finals on Sunday, meaning the only outlet for the biggest hurling matches of the weekend was the GAAGO platform

Firstly, who draws up the contracts? Secondly why could RTE not show a game on Saturday as well as the 2 on Sunday? The GAA is a big and powerful organisation but surely even they can't make a Sunday game clash with a Saturday one!

His argument seems to be that RTE can't show every game and that's why we need GAA Go but RTE should have the capacity across the 2 TV channels I'd think. I wonder why it can't be shown free on GAA Go…

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭poppers

rte have bought the rights to some games (30 i think) the cannot show every game. AFAIK they are showing 7/11 round robin munster hurling matches. the way people are going on you'd think there was no hurling been shown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Well.

RTE do have the rights to a lot more than that if you include the games shown by their 50% owned subsidiary GaaGo….

They have the rights to show some games FTA and others through their PPV subsidiary which they are trying to make financially viable by showing major fixtures.

And when you say 'thats how the GAA structured the rights' - they did that in partnership with their 50% co-owner RTE.

Finally -I really dont see what the GAA gets from this….the profits are small ….Jarlath Burns is talking about the diaspora being able to watch games, but thats kind of incidental if thousands more at home dont get to watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I don't know the full details, but the camera tracks the ball. Some grounds would have 3 cameras. SIL said two underage rugby matches he refereed were filmed. I presume anyone can add commentary and analysis to the basic tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It's literally what you said @evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Has anyone got the discount code to get the GAAGo for €69?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭jj880

How much do GAA players get paid?

Where does the GAA get these players that they dont pay?

there’s no surer way to destroy a game than to put it behind a paywall

Ah the tweet wasn’t showing up

Only the link

No he doesn’t have a point - it’s a moronic point

• Registered Users Posts: 15,098 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So how do you suggest that the GAA go about broadcasting?

Another poster pointed out how the potential broadcasters (one a pay service) ended up not carrying any games.

How do you suggest it be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭shockframe

Not sure thats a good comaprison.

Cricket was in trouble well before 2005 I would wager.

No other sport gets a look in with Football in England.

GAA still rules the roost over here.

RTE do have the rights to a lot more than that if you include the games shown by their 50% owned subsidiary GaaGo….

But they don't have the right to show more games than they are allowed to on FTA TV, plus they have a obligation to show 4 provincial football finals and probably 2 provincial hurling finals.

And as another poster pointed out they have rights to other sports in certain timeslots so they can't just abandon them for the sake of a GAA game.

People seem to think that RTE can just pick and chose what they do and don't show and make it up as they go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭rn

There's two important points to add; only certain games are behind the paywall - most games aren't. This is enabling games that otherwise would not be showing.

The other key point is the majority of people on the island do not want both of the main two channels wall to wall GAA over the weekend. Now I'm firmly in the camp that I'd love 5 hours of GAA on a Saturday and Sunday... But even in my own family I'm a minority. There's enough sport on RTE

Well, that's the first thing I'd change. Cut all ties with RTE.

Every provincial council and county board should keep investing heavily in a streaming service. Why share any of the cake with RTE?

Yes, they will be teething problems but as soon as the money starts rolling in, things will change.

The GAA or one of the provincial councils should buy out Clubber or the current GAAGO company completely out - rehire everyone, not in a permanent RTE contract, and hire some of the production people from directors to camera men from TG4 and Virgin (with relevant experience) to help with the design and promotion of programming from camera angles to producing whole magazine shows. Don't tell me the GAA don't have the money to do that. If they get in early before these companies get too big - just take over and take all the profit rather than share it with a failed, corrupt organization like rte.

They also need to get more imaginative with their season tickets and club memberships - make them more expensive but tie in a package for the matches on stream too. There's so much that can be done.

Burns made an idiot of himself today. He accused Cavanagh of emotional reasoning and then started talking about not wanting to promote a sedentary lifestyle by having all matches on TV (my bleeding heart!) while also stressing the need to generate as much income as possible from GAAGO. Talking out both ends.

TG4 show every juvenile game going and it does everything to promote the game. It can be done. Social media like TikTok gets good traction with clips from these games. There's absolutely nothing wrong with giving the game exposure and a lot of matches for free. We live in the age of advertising. Getting eyes on a screen is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Just tax all GAAGO revenue at 70 or 75%, money is the way to have the GAA rethink the matter.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,938 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

RTE can't show the games on Saturday because they didn't pay for the package. RTE could show it all if they pay more. That's how packages work in every sport.

As John Fogarty posted today:
    RTÉ live #GAA c'ship coverage 2019 v 2024.

2019 (games)
    5 of 29 provincial SFC

8 of 15 All-Ireland SFC series

12 of 22 provincial SHC

5 of 7 All-Ireland SHC

2024 (games)
    8 of 29 provincial SFC

9 of 35 All-Ireland SFC series

9 of 27 provincial SHC

5 of 7 All-Ireland SHC.

2019 figure doesn't include the 24 qualifier games, one of which was televised by RTÉ.

The annual GAAGO row to an extent neglects the fact the championship expanded by 25 games but RTÉ's 31 live game package remained the same.

Cricket moch like snooker was at its peak in a world of very few channels. Tha Ashes was an event like the Crucible that every watched as a ritual. Cricket has huge problems with the marketability of the game which is why things like 1 day cricket or the IPL exists.

You also have success stories like darts which was massively boosted by the paywall.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,789 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The contract which runs from 2022 to 2027 commits RTE to also show at least 9 camogie games live on terrestrial Free to Air every year. The government is also making RTE add some other sporting events to the Free to Air list, including some other womens events.

The solution to the problem lies with our politicians. I like the very practical approach of the Mayor of Cork.

Mayor of the County of Cork, Cllr Frank O’Flynn initially raised the issue under Any Other Business at the meeting and the debate attracted much anger from the elected representatives.

During the course of an emotional address Mayor O’Flynn said people were outraged the game wasn’t broadcast live on RTÉ. “I never saw as much outrage or upset in all my years in Cork County Council that I got over the weekend over the lack of coverage of the greatest game in Ireland. It was one of the best spectacles of sport. There are numerous people out there who could not enjoy it because they couldn’t watch the game,” he said.

Mayor O’Flynn appealed for a letter to the sent to the Minister for Sport Catherine Martin, Minister for Communications Eamon Ryan and Taoiseach Simon Harris requesting that all GAA games be broadcast on the free to air channels. “Thousands of people in this country were denied the greatest spectacle that we ever had. I want this council to write to the Minister for Communications, the Minister for Sport and to go to the very top with the Taoiseach because he was in attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭gifted

To be fair thats not a good example....you'll always get " yahoos" who don't do anything, doesn't mean the rest of the people should be denied.

That is pathetic levels of hyperbole.

Cork must be a great place altogether if this is the subject counsellors "never saw as much outrage or upset in all my years in Cork County Council"

Free flowing traffic, an abundance of social housing and no boarded up shops in this Eden that is Cork I assume.

Jaysus!

He dug deep into the hyperbole field there, in fairness

Edit.. didn't see Breezies post there, just shows some folk are not taken in by

flowery language and bull dust in the breeze.

You'd swear no one in Cork had an internet connection or the ability to use a payment card either the way he was going on.

Probably the same crowd who have no problem shelling out the Shekels to follow Munster to South Africa.

Complete playing to the gallery that guy, glad some folk see through the rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

To the lads using GAA GO are you watching the games on your phone or how do you get it to your tv?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement