Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Go

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭howiya

We have vodafone for the tv. The play store is on their box and you can install the GAAGo app. Very easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

My own opinion, but its fairly naiive and arrogant of Jarlath Burns if he thinks he can smack down the leader of the government in this way; particularly when the GAA has been such a beneficiary of state funding.

Similarly, he was fairly derogatory about Sean Cavanagh, something along the lines of 'you'd think he would he'd know this stuff as an accountant' - to which he got truly owned by Cavanagh who referenced that yes he had looked at the GAA's accounts and spoke about what he saw.

He's really fanned the flames here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,789 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭HBC08

You can cast it from your phone to your TV,you could even use a HDMI cable from you laptop.

I haven't done this myself but I imagine you can download the app on your smart TV which would probably be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭jj880

Would depend on the TV.

Seems to be 4 options according to GaaGo website: casting from mobile app on phone/tablet if you have a Chromecast or TV with built in Chromecast (some do have built in so check the TV settings), native app included for certain TV brands in their own app store, android/apple app downloaded direct to TV if TV runs on either OS, cabling a laptop / PC to TV.

What brand / model of TV are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The app is available on most tv's from the last few years and its also on Amazon Firesticks and Apple TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

He didn't smack down the leader of the government. He said he met an Oireachtas committee last year, he said he met the Tanaiste, he said he met the Minister for Sport and he said he met Paschal Donohue only last week in Croker, and none of the above have raised the concerns regarding GaaGo with him as they have in public. Clare Byrne put it to him that 'did he believe that the Govt were speaking out of both sides of their mouths and he agreed they were.

He doesn't appear to be too far off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,176 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Correct, I usually judge the Tainiste as a safe pair of hands but on this occasion because Cork were involved

he seemed he had to put his oar in…. pure electioneering …lets call a spade a spade.

Burns was excellent on the CB show ..said it as it is, and came across very well.

How do some people think a practically voluntary organisation like the GAA can exist when they plough 85%

of revenue back into facilities and clubs.

I realise they get Govt support, and rightly so, but they save the Govt far more than they get.

Some folk don't seem or want to understand these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭elefant

The annual crazy level of discourse on a total non-issue for most GAA fans with any modicum of genuine interest.

Pay your few quid a month and access massive amounts of content on-demand, or be happy with the free-to-air GAA that's on every Saturday and Sunday. You're not losing anything by not subscribing to GAA GO, you're just not getting extra for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,789 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'm grand as I have it all on the fire stick but have heard from friends and family over The last few weeks when they have bought games that they had no way to cast it onto their TV and had to watch the games On their phone.

I've checked my TV and the app is not there and there's no Chromecast built-in either. So I'm presuming you need a relatively new TV for this to work.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

far as I know you can buy a device to cast stuff onto the TV. Little dongle that plugs into the USB on the telly?

Cost about Euro 35?

I think it would be a decent step for the GAA to arrange something through the clubs where volunteers could go and help people in their locality get the tech set up, maybe help them arrange a chromecast if necessary, write down the steps for them to get in from their device onto the TV etc.

I'd be very surprised if something like that wasn't happening already….very good idea if properly monitored, if you get my drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭jj880

Currys has the HD Chromecast with Google TV OS at 40 euro. Released 2022. Decent price.

https://www.currys.ie/products/google-chromecast-hd-with-google-tv-snow-10242833.html

NOTE: Its heavily rumoured Google will be launching a new version of their 4k Chromecast at their 2024 Google I/O showcase tonight at 6pm. It's nearly 4 years old now so definitely worth waiting to see if they release a higher spec device if you want 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The annual crazy level of those who support the fleecing of supporters for more money.

The dogs in the street know that the entire Championship structure (with all the extra games) was built entirely to suit the GAA Go system. "These games wouldn't be seen at all if it weren't for GAA Go" What a load of BS. All that's happening now is that people are missing huge games that, 15 years ago, would have been viewable on RTE.

Ever wonder why Cork appear to be disproportionately affected by this? Because they got a big fat stadium that is costing the GAA a pretty penny so Cork fans are clearly the target of the GAA Go tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭howiya

15 years ago RTE would have shown all four munster hurling games. They're showing 6 or 7 this year. This idea that these games would have been shown in the past is what is BS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This is actually a really good idea. My father is in his 80s. I've been thinking about getting him a subscription. I'd have to show up how to use it because he's actually afraid of new technologies like this (He's always afraid he'll press the wrong button and someone will blame him for "breaking" something).

There must be many of people like him out there who have nobody who can help them with the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

the problem is that, 15 or 20 years ago, we had much less games to show. Because of the new systems brought in in both hurling and football over the years the amount of games has increased hugely in such short window. we cant compare to 'back when' as the whole set up is completely changed…also, alot of the giving out this week is purely because it was Cork game and because they pulled a surprise win and a hugely exciting game. If it wasnt cork or they had been thrashed, half the gaa population wouldnt give a crap this week….I dont have a problem with gaa go idea per say, as it does give the opportunity to see games we just would not see this year because of the sheer volume of matches each weekend. however I have a problem with the pricing. I think if they want people to buy in, reduce the annual and per match cost. Id have no problem paying €5 to watch a particular game I wanted to see, but €12 is just too steep….

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭poppers

There are 17 games this week between munster/Leinster hurlingAll ire seris and Tailteann cup, not sure what games are been shown this week thinknits the 2 munsters games on sunday.

Going by some of the argunents on here every single one should be on TV.

Wow. I don't think there's a single sentence in this post that isn't incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Have you consulted with the dogs in the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Not true, the cork/limerick game being behind a paywall was in the news a lot in the lead up to the game.

I would have no problem with GAA Go if it was actually used as they say it is i.e. to show games that would never have been seen before, but this is clearly not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,972 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Nothing cost a fiver anymore and I don't believe that it would solve the complaints.

If they launched for 5 people would moan it wasn't 3.

You are correct!
    You see, unfortunately some blimps cannot see the big picture.

They cannot get their heads around an organisation like the GAA needing income to keep stadia, centres of excellence, referees, pitches , facilities, ground staff ,security, players all ‘taken care of’without some kind of supplementary source based on the popularity of their game.

If these folk want to see a game so badly pay for the fcukker, it’s not mad money?..or go to it .

Complete nothingburger here… time to tell these gloamers to take a hike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'd suspect the individual prices are designed to steer people towards the yearly subscription. Which makes sense as it gives a much more stable base and makes it a more reliable business model.

The only thing I'd like to see change is a football only subscription, and a hurling only subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Butson

You do actually. PPV plays outs for 3 days after the event, then its put up on the broadcasters youtube page etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,445 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Nah - That's down to the specific broadcaster and if they have rights to put the event up for free days after. UFC don't put their PPVs up for Free. So in-turn, anything being broadcast on PPV by them, ESPN+ etc., can't show it for free. Same with the events on BT Box Office. Same with WWE etc. You have to buy or subscribe to watch back the PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Why shouldn't Burns speak the truth? The money for given for particular purposes, not free streaming and the government will not give RTÉ the money to buy these rights so that there is no loss of revenue to the GAA.

As for Cavanagh, he is an embarrassment. The GAA has some money in the kitty to be sure, but with stadium projects underway in Kildare, Louth and Meath and a very large bill incoming for Casement park they hardly have a surplus of money. It is an easy quip to say "the GAA has millions" but Cavanagh knows perfectly well that the costs are in the millions also.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Butson

I'm not a UFC fan but Boxing have started to get with the times a bit here recently. May as aswell get it up on youtube shortly after and monetize it as its up there anyway from less legitimate sources.

Sky Sports do the same with the Premier League now. You can watch the highlights on your sky box (without a sky sports subscription) and on their youtube page immediately after the match. Once a live sporting event is over, it has lost all relevance, so you may as well try and make money off the highlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

This is nothing to do with 'speaking the truth'; its to do with sneering at people and making derogatory comments "there must be an election coming up".

As for 'some money in the kitty'…..€150mn is more than 'some money in the kitty'.

Again - the profit share at GAAGO last year was €250,000 - you wont even build the stadium jacks for that.

Advertisement