Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body and soul 2023 (initial line up announced)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

It’s looking like a complete washout unfortunately… 😬

Hopefully my Met Éireann app is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well I felt a bit silly at Wild Roots as I'd packed waterproof trousers and a good quality rain mac, maybe I'll put them to good use then. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Forecast has improved a little, with most of the rain dropping overnight rather in day time. But it will probably change again by the weekend. It does look like a lot of rain will fall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well that's me packed up and everything I can think of recharged, catching the Expressway in early evening down to my mates in Crusheen and we set off for the Body & Soul site tomorrow, bring it on. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭RINO87

Enjoy! Hope Thursday not too hot for ye setting up. Still holding on to the slim chance that I'll make it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Granite Head

Weather forecast now looking biblical for Saturday😦

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Fanirish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Sunday not looking great either! Wellies and ponchos, be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

Localized little weather miracles can happen where the rain manages to miss certain areas (fingers crossed for Ballinlough and Glendalough!) but yeah, realistically its looking like a very very wet weekend nationwide. Hopefully it won't get cold with it. I can cope with being drenched as long as it's still reasonably warm! Pack the boots and the waterproofs and don't be camping at the bottom of any hills or anywhere near the portaloos!!

I've been watching it all week and the "when" keeps changing for the rainfall. But it seems like a near-certainty that a lot of rain is coming over the weekend. Saturday looks like a washout, unfortunately. Friday and Sunday nights look really bad too.

It's such a shame as not being able to sit on the grass or walk around easily takes a good chunk out of what makes B&S a nice place to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Volumes of rain on Saturday (<5mm in 16 hours) and Sunday (<3mm in 10 hours) are very low on the met forecast for Clonmellon at the moment. It's Sunday night in the early hours of Monday that looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TenPicnics

This may be a stupid question, in which case apologies, but does anyone know if the name change thing is definitely needed for giving my ticket to someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Norasheen

They ( Body & Soul) say you have to change it, but no one has ever looked at the names on the ticket since I have been going to the festival. Scan the code and in you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TenPicnics

Thank you, precisely what I was hoping for, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭endainoz

Hard luck with the weather folks, but good wet gear can make things so much easier, can be picked up at your local farm co op, if wellies are needed, try to go for the light Dunlop ones, they're also quite cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Landers11

Hopefully the weather forecast changes a couple more times by Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Landers11

Looks like pretty light rain Friday and Sat but very heavy at 7pm on Sunday. Right before the pagan rave which is a nuisance. Surprised that they have the pagan rave on Sunday instead of Saturday like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Going by the map, I think the Beacon is now in the woods themselves so hopefully there is a bit more cover

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Lads is the capacity at 5k similar to last year? I thought I read it would be 10k this year but can't find anything on it.

Yeah it’s 5k. They initially planned for 10k but reality met dreams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Yeah it's interesting as I can see on their site that they bumped up to 15k in 2019 but not sure how close they got to selling out that year, if it was optimistic and what the site was even like.

They definitely haven't sold out this year and with the capacity being 5k, I would've thought they might have with its reputation.

I hope it stays viable as it is a great festival and from what I can tell, well ran.

Having it on the same day as Beyond the Pale is a funny decision. Plenty of people going to BTP would also have gone to B&S if they were on different weekends. The fact is, BDP has a much better line-up. I actually thought B&S lost a bit of its magic with the larger capacity, so hopefully it's back to its best this year.

Yeah I think 5,000 cap suits body and soul more.

they just couldn’t book high calibre acts to justify the 10,000-15,000 capacity in previous years. Or spent too much on one act like Nick cave and rest of line up suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭dav09

I really liked the 10k+ capacity of it in those years, I don't think they came close to filling 15k capacity any year, last year was excellent but felt half the size of previous years, maybe a middleground of 5-10k might be the sweet spot especially with BTP competing now too, as Fanirish said, it must be a very difficult one booking for those numbers, I actually think this years lineup is as good if not better as some of those bigger capacity years somehow. Very tempted to get last minute tickets, have been to the past 4 of these now.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭fillup

B&S has always been on the Solstice w/end

BTP are the "johnny come latelys" in this scenario

So the q should be why are BTP targeting same w/end

To me it seems to be a Starbucks type manoeuvre, move in and drive out the competion

Artist availability is driving factor. weekend after with Glastonbury is also a headache so can’t really do festival then.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

Have to disagree, I find the BTP lineup really nice but there's really not much (anything?) on it that I'd be particularly annoyed to miss. B&S has a good few that I'm properly excited about, right down the list. It's just a question of individual tastes. I'd absolutely have gone to BTP if they'd been sensible and put it on in July or stuck to their original date in early June instead of stupidly (pointedly?) going head to head with an established festival. Given how excellent B&S was last year and how poor to middling BTP was, B&S was always going to win out for me when forced to choose between the two.

It looks like BTP's "Starbucks manoeuvre" if that's what it was has failed since B&S sales are going great by all accounts. It looks like Body & Soul is here to stay. A small, really well put together festival in a properly gorgeous location. Hopfully the other crowd will see sense and go with a different date next year...

"Ticket sales are going great..."

According to who? Capacity has been reduced to a similar level to when it originally launched and it still hasn't sold out one day before the festival begins.

B&s sales are far less than half of BTP.

also B&S technically moved a week earlier last year and this year.

2017,2018 and 2019 were on the from 21-25th which mean next weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭fillup

I'm guessing it was moved so it happened w/end before solstice

B&S has always been a solstice celebration at heart

Advertisement