Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body and soul 2023 (initial line up announced)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

"Making your own fun...a shadow of its former self...a bit sparse" sums up B&S for me over the last few years, and i wasn't even there this or last year. Found it fairly grim in 2018/19. Just not enough going on to be entertained by. Thought it needed a break to re-evaluate. Covid provided that, but it doesn't appear to have improved. For me personally 2015 was the last great year.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭dav09

Definitely a great festival, sad to hear the old stage is sitting worse for ware, I assume the wooden structure is permanent and the staging, etc is put up. Would be great if they can get it back, the new area was okay but just didn't feel like B&S.

I've been at every edition since 2017 (or before even, can't remember my first) so it was great to go again! The rain surprisingly didn't put too much of a damper on the whole thing, it rained during the day mostly and on Saturday evening when they stopped due to the storm along with Friday night, but I'd say 90% of the time I was in the main arena it was stopped or not noticeable.

The music was great as always, Fabio and Grooverider were a standout favourite for me, they have a new concept with the Outlook Orchestra where they cover D&B origins throughout the years, stand out performance for me, really hope they come back, couldn't image them doing any other festival. The Blaze were decent first time seeing them somehow, Moderat excellent as always as was Goldfrapp. Some really great DJs too Nightmares on Wax, Haai, DJ Mek, the whole Hennessey hip hop section was great and really well curated, some nice Irish acts in there too. The Pagan Rave was really special too, those who went last night definitely had a great time, it was even better than previous. As always the site looked amazing and had some very cool art pieces. I can't think of a more naturally beautiful festival site than where B&S is held, and with B&S curating it, it's even better. Thought the area that used to have the talking heads looked cool and lit up this year between woodlands and main arena, some interesting areas like the Hendricks stage and Harvester stage.

Disappointed with Woodlands and Main Stage, not sure if those got damaged but both well missed and seemed staples of the festival. I do miss certain things over the years such as the Mother Stage/Reckless in Love, Big Circus Tent stage (had amazing sound, light and overall design), and I remember last year I believe they had a really cool concept stage in the woods lit up with a lot of lighting. There used to be another really cool small one in the woods that used to have a lot of dub, big function one sound system too . I like that they constantly evolve but definitely think not always for the better unfortunately, although I'm sure there's reasons for some of this. Obviously with numbers dwindling they've compacted things by a lot, definitely welt 50% smaller than say 2019, I'd love to see numbers increase again and go back towards what they had before, I feel roughly 10k perfect for B&S type festival. I think changing in booking policy is needed before that though, just seems like a lot of the same acts each year or acts that regularly play a lot of festivals here along with expansion, it can't be easy though I'm sure booking for these and had a bunch of great bookings this year besides that.

I felt numbers down from last year but hard to tell. Seemed like there was a lot less food and bar stalls too, but glad they've kept the Bulmers and Hennessey Sponsorship going along with free flow policy, huge + for any festival and rare these days. Good crowd, security, shower facilities, plenty of bathrooms, water facilities. Festival got very muddy on day 3, felt could have been a little better prepared as Mother got canceled as a result of the ground at Beacon and a seemed late in the evening by the time countermeasures were in place, a lot of rain though so not easy to manage I can imagine.

Honestly a great overall festival, last minute decision to go but absolutely worth it, had a great time but definitely wasn't my favourite edition. So much more here that could have been mentioned, but for sure Body and Soul is still one of the best festivals in the country and really hope this isn't the last edition of it, and if so hopefully the can collaborate with BTP or ATN like they used with Electric Picnic.

Post edited by dav09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Would agree with the poster above who said it feels like B&S has run out of a road a bit.

Things felt a bit sparse this year. A lot of the little features and touches that made it a uniquely great festival seem to have fallen away.

Was quite noticeable how few food vendors were there this year. I’m sure that’s probably related to the fact two other festivals were running this weekend, but decent quick and easy grub was always something I enjoyed about B&S.

Would be surprised if there was more than 3000 people there this year (maybe 3,500 at a push). I know last year it didn’t sell out for the 5K and I felt this year even compared to last it was noticeable how more thinned out the crowds were for a lot of performances.

Would love to see them turn it around as it’s a great festival at its core and I love the spirit behind it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The costs for a festival are just crazy though. There was a podcast where Avril Stanley went through the costs etc. Basically, Body and Soul thrived during the recession. Bands were more available, services and staff easier (and cheaper) to source etc. These problems seem to only have gotten worse. Then there is insurance etc.

Its a shame because the net result is that smaller festivals go under while larger festivals get even more popular. The dilema for smaller festivals is that if they put up their prices people will say "why should I pay more than EP for a worse lineup?", but if they reduce the level of acts even further this ultimately reduces interest. So they cant win*

*until the next global recession

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Amazing weekend

Cons

Agree with other posters, things felt a bit sparse. 

Even the main entrance felt a bit flat

Really thought the woods used to have way more light installations 

Mother having to cancel…totally understandable, it was a complete sludgefest 

The walled gardens used to have this dj playing at the very end, but that was gone. 

Sing along social, who is normally always a highlight were so poor. 

Much preferred the old main stage 

Pros

Ah Everything really. The blaze and public service broadcasting were brilliant. 

I just loved being back there. Our last time there was 2016. It’s a special place I think. 

I feel really validated that electric picnic is no more for me. Reading beyond the pale reviews and sounds like it’s going to be that or back to body and soul again next year. It will be dependant on line up for sure

I loved how small it was, no queues for anything, everything was easy even in the weather.

It’s just amazing to be able to go with your crew and leave all the real life worries beyond and dance your socks off all weekend. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Norasheen

My thoughts on the Body & Soul ( and I have been to all of them) , I actually understood them moving the main stage , as it compacted the site , and made it easier & quicker to navigate. And I actually thought that new Main Stage field was still too big for the crowd size. I did not enjoy the long walk around the old main Stage field to camping but I'm sure there was a reason for it . I'm delighted they had loads of toilets this year as the last of them last year was a dose, and they were pretty clean every time I visited.

Def way less food vendors , I hardly ate onsite at all. But loads of bars every where , and the ones in the wood were badly needed.

Music wise , the festival was a slam dunk. So bloody good! Fever ray and The Blaze were the absolute standouts , I've seen them both before but Fever Rays performance this time was better than a few years ago, I was transfixed. And The Blaze took my breath away , such an emotional, euphoric, vulnerable performance. Those two guys are absolutely amazing. This was my first time to see Moderat , and they really impressed me too. I also loved the Haai and the Blessed Madonnas gigs , great bops. The Gloria moment has us lift off .

I really hope that Beyond the Pale don't go head to head again next year as I think both festivals ticket sales suffered as a result. And Body & Soul is too special to get squeezed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I had an amazing time, was down on Wednesday noon and worked the Wednesday and Thursday of the festival. The reason the old main stage field was closed was because I think its having a fallow year, due to flooding most recently and to bring recuperation for the land there. The Woodside stage from last year was damaged by a falling tree hence why it was no longer there. I thought all the headlines were amazing, Fabio Grooverider was an inspired choice for Friday, enjoyed Berth Orton, it was strange seeing her on so early in the evening. PSB were pretty good, they reminded me of the Hives a bit in their suits. I enjoyed Alison Goldfrapp, Moderat were stunning and Weval, another ambient Drum and Bass outfit who were also pretty decent. There was some exceedingly very wet rainfalls just at the backend of Kneecap's set during the encore H.O.O.D. Missed Tinariwen who I would've loved to have caught but did catch them at EP 2008 anyway. Fever Ray was a lot rockier than 2018 and the kind of FR I like with occasional guitars and drum kit, nice reworkings of some of her 2009 tracks, special mention to I'm Not Done. The reason the Beakon stage was out of bounds for a few hours was because firstly, it had the most footfall and got badly flooded in that last downpour so loads of hay laid plus secondly they wanted to prepare the area for the Pagan Rave.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Jeepers totally forgot about Alison goldfrapp! She was brilliant…too early for my review perhaps lol

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Heiser

I had a great time, loved it even more than last year. Will definitely be back again

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ForzaForward1

Loved this years B&S although definitely felt it had been scaled back a lot.

The Blaze - my second time seeing them and they blew me away. I actually shed a few tears during it, just got overwhelmed with emotion and I only had a few cans beforehand. I'll never forget that performance. It was really frustrating to find out a couple of hours beforehand that the Pagan Rave had been moved and were now clashing, as I was looking forward to it and the best part of it is the start of it.

Sara Miller was good on Friday, Haai was banging too and enjoyed the bit of Avalon Emerson I got to see before the power cut.

Other than the Blaze, Gerd Jansen was the other standout for me. I really went for it Friday night and felt during the Blessed Madonna's set that I wasn't going to make it to the end of the night but than Gerd came on and took it up a few notches, great set.e

Heard there were pickpockets on Saturday night and lots of phones got taken, but other than that it was the perfect crowd.

Will be back next year, just hope it's not the same weekend as Beyond the Pale and would be better again if they could have a weekend in between for recovery!

• Advertisement

Some highlights I've uploaded so I can put them in blog review.

Fabio Grooverider.

Public Service Broadcasting.

Meute. Clip taken of intro before it was all cut for the thunder storm.

Alison Goldfrapp.

Moderat - Bad Kingdom (had to cut in end as arm hurt)

Fever Ray - Now's the only time I know.

Pagan Rave.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭TenPicnics

Good to hear that the B&S magic continues, despite some smallish issues and atrocious weather at the beginning. Hope it survives.

Did they actually check that the name on a ticket matched the i.d. of the punter?

At Beyond the Pale I was happy to find that the 'open drink only' rule for the arena wasn't enforced (though I know they mightve selected a few unlucky people at some point over the weekend), so it was actually free flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

No ID matching as far as I could see.

no names checked on tickets

my bag was thoroughly searched on way in…my cosmetic bag was taken out and rifled through!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What time did you arrive can I ask? The barely looked at ours, just took our word for it.

Think it was about half two? So early enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭fillup

We went through around 13:30 and they were hot on looking for aerosols

They were confiscating deodorant and stuff like that

I even saw someone's Suncream on the naughty table

My only guess is that u can use an aerosol as a flamethrower and they mightve heard a rumor that Rambo was heading to Ballinlough

Advertisement