Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Control Room Operatives An Garda Siochana 2022/2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rednose

My pre arranged holidays haven’t been approved yet but they said it shouldn’t be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ccmarch

Works haven't started yet so control room is still in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shiney71

Thanks for that. I must have picked it up wrong. I thought it was moving from Tramore to Waterford. For me, Tramore is less ideal travel wise but probably wouldn't put me off.

It is definitely on the cards but as any public works it seems to be delayed so unfortunately haven't happened yet.

Almost four weeks since my references gone in and still no word 😔

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The whole thing was so slow that I ended up taking another offer that was comparable and didn't hear back for anything further for ten weeks I think. Then there was mad pressure to engage immediately then.. Don't know what to make of it tbh

Ten weeks!! That's fairly bad form especially when a current employer is aware you're looking elsewhere and are putting in plans for a possible replacement! I had been told it was a long process but was hoping this stage would be quick enough. May just sit tight and see if anything else comes up in the meantime 😌

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The civil and the private systems couldn't be further apart in the logistics side of recruitment, still kind of feel like I missed out on a "safe" job. See how you go..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭thomas 123

What’s the starting salary and hours like for this role?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Span Molby

Standard Civil Service Scale plus 25% shift allowance, plus Sunday Allowance for Sundays worked.

4 X 12hour days, 2 day shift (7am -7pm), 2 night shift (7pm-7am), 4 days off

• Advertisement

Hi Shiney71 how is it going. I am sorry to hear u have to wait for that long. I am 8th week into vetting myself for Waterford. Did you still not get a starting date or anything? Its 9-10 weeks now since your references have been sent. God I knew its gonna take long but didnt expect its gonna be that long... Then again they recently launched brand new computer system so that might be slowing things down as well. Give people some time to get use to it. I hope you get in soon and keep me posted please.

I am so sorry I hadn't replied. I couldn't access this page for some reason...I start next week! Things moved very quickly eventually. I have equal amounts of excitement and terror!!! At least I won't be learning one computer system and then another so that's a plus. Have you heard any more??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 e1234512488

Congratulations. I am also in Waterford and have my interview the 24th. How did you find the interview? Also, how do you find the job? My spelling is not the best, without spell check and I am a little worried if I get the job and might get sacked, as I am permeant in my current job. Any insight you could give me I would really appreciate. Congratulations again. 😊

Hi thank you. I've only done one night so far. I've not had any training yet but that should start soon so there isn't a great deal for me to do. I sat beside a call taker taking everything in and getting some insight as to the job itself. I found it exciting, interesting and a real eye opener!! There's probably a lot to learn but the lads on the unit are really friendly and helpful. I don't know the system yet so I can't honestly say whether good spelling is essential - perhaps someone on here who is already in the position could advise? But I think you should be grand.

As for the interview I stuck as best as I could to the competencies. I put little post it notes beside the pc to prompt myself. I found myself lost for things to say on some questions and talking pure rubbish but there's a time limit so they move on fairly quickly! They don't want to know much personal stuff just examples of where you excelled or did this or that in your employment. Tbh I was absolutely convinced I'd messed it up but apparently not lol.

I was in a secure, full time position for 20yr and concerned I was doing the right thing. I got a really good feeling after my first night so fingers crossed. Best of luck to you and keep us updated 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 2 e1234512488

Thanks so much I appreciate the insight. Best of luck with it. I'll keep eye updated. Thanks again. 🎉

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lilsuz

Hi everyone, I was in the top 5 for Dublin but basically was told we’re still waiting for the clearance to come through and THEN they will contact my current employer for reference. It seems like some people had this done the other way around? Is anyone here for the Dublin job who’s in the same shoes?? I’m soo fed up with waiting… #sniff

I’m not Dublin but when I applied I had to wait for my vetting to come through before they contacted my employer. Once they contact your employer, it was about 2 weeks later that I got my phone call with a start date. Keep the faith. It’s worth it when you get it all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ladyluna

Hi guys! I've been invited for a Zoom interview (Waterford) next week. I applied almost a year ago and only heard back beginning of August. I'm super excited and I'm determined on getting this job.

Can anyone tell me how busy Waterford is in terms of calls? How do you find the 12 hour shifts and the nights? How is the team and management in Waterford so far? Do you think the job itself is worth it?

Apologies for bombarding you with questions...super curious. What are the progressions with this job? Any benefits that they offer?

I want to know everything! :)

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Baydrifterkin

Can anyone answer please the starting off rate is this €509 for the 48 Hr shift plus 25 % shift rate ?Or is the €509 calculated in a 40 Hr week ? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CokeZeroHero

Hi, just wondering how long people were waiting for their start date after getting an email from public jobs saying they'll get an email from the guards? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mc09091

Hi all,

i am looking at applying but live outside Dublin so would be commuting to the office is there parking does anyone know? I currently work for the Esb and looking for something different? I have experience in managing call centres and dealing with escalation calls I wanted to be a guard forever but lost my right eye to an accident last year so not sure if I’d pass the health side of the recruitment for the control centre

thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Span Molby

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Earl22

What does the stage 1 online assessment consist of, what do you have to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CokeZeroHero

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tmal90

Hi all,

I have applied for the new campaign of 2024 closing date the 11/01/24 I am just wondering how long did people wait for an interview? With regards the online tests I am just wondering was there any training books like eg from kilroys? You know like the civil servants books you can get. I presume there is a typing competency aswell which will be fine. Any other information or where I can look up more information would be greatly appreciated. Would really love to get this job.

Thanks

Best of luck with the application, I too have applied but am looking for galway. With regards the health assessment from previous threads it just seems to be about hearing more than anything else. Please keep posting as you progress on would love to hear all the details and if you know of any assessment training books or links that I should be looking into would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Earl22

I assume there'll be a typing proficiency test on the upcoming stage 1 assesment and I'm wondering what level of words-per-minute proficiency is acceptable, my typing speed isn't super good

I assume that aswell, not sure what speed too. But maybe try Mavis beacon types you can download online I know they use to teach it in secondary school but it should get your typing speed up. Hope that helps and best of luck.

Typing test is not too bad. You have to listen to a piece of audio and be as quick to fill in details. Interview after that, then vetting. If you’re lucky, the whole process could be 5 months. Others waiting a lot longer. Good luck👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭alphaecho92

Hi @rednose . What was the timeframe from the first 'strand' of vetting to contacting employer(s) for reference?

Advertisement