Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qatar World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Those of us in the office also have it 😉 RTE Player on the phone with volume at a level where if I can hear anything interesting happening I can have a look.

Just made the rookie mistake of leaving LiveScore notifications on though. Equaliser popped up before the goal happened

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭Gusser09

That's the problem with RTE Player. It's terrible.

FFS JAPAN 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Jaysus. When Japan equalised I wondered could we have a repeat of the Argentina - Saudi game.

Fair play, Japan..were fairly under the cosh in first half...very nice first touch for the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m sitting with wife watching this. Before Germany scored we were chatting about how it reminds us of when we were in Japan in 2002 for ireland game against Germany.

Delighted for Japan , they were wonderfully friendly hosts, I hope they get the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭archfi

Konzentraten on ze aktuell fussball, Deutschland. Nicht der oder klappy-klappy-shtuffen.

Well done Japan.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭rogber

Yes it's totally fake. All these elite footballers apparently obsessed with gay rights yet there's not a single openly gay player among them, it makes no sense.

If they were protesting about the treatment of the immigrant workers who built the stadiums they're playing in THAT would be interesting. Then they'd have to look in the mirror and ask themselves and FIFA some tough questions. But this "oh let's all be nice to LGBT unlike these horrible Qataris" is just cheap virtue signalling of the worst kind, makes them look good while avoiding the blood on their own hands

It's not just gay rights though that they are protesting against. It's discrimination in general. One Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Serves Germany right for covering their mouths and ruining the team photo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭noahungry

Wow, nice job, Japan! Still haven't recovered from yesterday's shock with Saudi Arabia and now this. Awesome! What's next, Serbia will beat Brasil tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Just seen this image pop up now as I searched for the result. The absolute mortification of this farce. Get on with the feckin football and stop signaling. World cup was given 12 years ago, hardly a dicky bird since. Now that they are over there, it's like watching real life Woke Twitter Instagram in action. Who can outdo the most outspoken.

Have to say, maybe Infantino had somewhat of a point, if poorly made. Who are Europe to dictate to Middle Eastern cultures.? We may not agree with them, but is that not for their citizens to affect change if they wish.? They don't agree with certain aspects of our culture. I don't seem them coming to protest in Europe at Western values they don't agree with.

The least that can be done is to respect their laws when in their country, rather than this woke tirade.

Are we going to see similar visual protests in 4 years time against the abortion bans in the US. Are we feck.

Considering Germany are financing Putin's war in Ukraine with their gas purchases it's the height of hyprocisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

If anyone arrives in Ireland we expect them to respect our laws and customs.

Hypocrisy indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You couldn't make it up countries blasted when they don't do something and when a team does (and nobody knows what there stance is) they get blasted too hillarious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Just play football, forget all the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

When Germany thought they would win

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

So I'm guessing that you don't care and anyone else who does care, you can label as "preachy" or "virtue signalling" or whatever the term of the day is and they can't disprove it without further falling into your "trap".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

They're protesting against all discrimination, including that against migrant workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Down with bad things but nothing specific.

They will talk the talk on TV but they are not going to do anything about it, they can hardly play to a decent standard never mind take on Islam.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Japan and Saudi Arabia for the final, after beating American Samoa and Costa Rica in the Semi.

There is no kick in the competition but nice to see the minnows getting a day out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It is fascinating what you deducted from me simply stating that people are judged it they do not comply with the current trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Ah yes infantino who made a comparison to his own “affliction” of being ginger to being disabled lol. I seem remember loads of protests/condemnation over the French burqa ban and protests over the satirical cartoon depictions of Muhammad and fatwa issued as a result of those images by Danish and French magazines.

And this old tired group think shite of respect their rules. Do you respect that if a women is raped in Qatar and for a conviction to be handed down she needs 4 male witnesses to said rape. Why the absolute f should any decent person respect that? Have a word with yourself. A 3 year sentence for men having sex together and a possible death sentence for Muslims who do it. Replace gay with Christian or white and 90% of the types crying about it being woke would be going off their tits complaining about it, doesn’t affect them so they don’t care and any excuse to mention woke gets them wet.

That backward hole should never have gotten the World Cup, pointing out its a backward hole doesn’t make you woke, it’s just a fact. Respect it all you want if it aligns with your views but don’t ask decent people to shut up and do the same. In the 40s you’d probably be crying their country their rules for Germany as well. Anyway as you were

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The BBC Panel for tonight is ticking all the right boxes.

You said you assume most people don't care, that plus you calling John Oliver's piece "preachy" I deduced that you include yourself in that. Apologies if I'm wrong. Don't play the "judgement" card because you're doing the exact same, you judged Oliver to be too preachy and looking for clicks.

I'm trying to have a discussion without judgement; What would someone have to do for you to think they genuinely care?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ah here, whatever about the protests being hypocritical I thought everyone agreed that Infantino is a cock of the highest order! His ridiculous rant was way more pathetic than any protest attempted so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I didn’t comment on John Oliver. I commented on the general condemnation that happens once someone doesn’t comply with the expectation to follow a trend. No offence taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Qatar Airways are fantastic. The Dreamliner flys in/out from Dublin near every day.

Muenier looks like dick turpin.

Great hearty display from Canada. Again shows what you can do with largely inferior players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The thing is though...

This World Cup was announced 10 years ago.

If someone didnt care enough to say anything about it then, and they still didnt care enough about it to say anything when all the stories about migrant deaths started emerging in 2014......then what exactly is the point in suddenly finding a voice now when all the stadiums are built, when the two year qualification phase has been completed, and when the teams have arrived in Qatar and are playing the matches.

That surely indicates bandwagon jumping more than 'caring'.

The hypocrisy around these world cup protests are just off the charts as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement

Apologies, I need to pay more attention to usernames.

My point still stands though, you're judging those who stand by a cause as merely doing so to avoid being labelled a bigot or following a trend, no? So how would one who does genuinely care avoid that judgement?

Advertisement