Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qatar World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

I'm looking forward to watching them all 'take the knee' over there ,,,,

,,,, and seeing them (FA/FIFA) add on other kinds of reasons for taking it, eg in support of LGB++ , AFTER (but not before) WC is over, in PL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'm going to watch it anyway. Its the World Cup.

But yes its a terrible (corrupt) choice and I wish this wasn't happening there (or now).

Read on IT mag every WC visitor must have two apps installed mandatory on their smartphones. One covid tracker thingy and the overall WC app for bookings, public transport etc. Both apps with wide ranging permissions on the phones.

As for corruption - it's always been like that. FIFA is like an assembly of all their member countries and to make a bid to host the World Cup you have to pull delegates towards your side to win the 'election'. Same as in parliament only without parties, free-for-all. Can you imagine. I'd say the horse trading and outright bribery has always been at unbelievable levels there. No matter who you are. Franz Beckenbauer was knee deep in it for 2010, too. Was all hush hushed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

They should never have had the WC in the first place, but what really gets to me is, that all the players then they talk about equal rights, down on one knee for support and what have we, they are still going to go down there and play, it really show the massive double standard, yes i do get that there is so much money involved in this, and my guess is thats the reason its still going ahead, BUT if the players really wanted to be taken seriously, they should say that they dont want to go, if not its nothing but an empty gesture, then they say equal right and what have we.

cant remember who said this, but it sure fits in here "One need not go deep to find out the truth of why money is a potent weapon today. As a matter of fact, it has always been so. The mighty has ever ruled though its form has kept on changing"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I really don't blame the players for going. I would definitely be going if i was a player. For many it is the pinnacle of their career and the only chance that a lot will get to play a world cup. I'll also be watching it as to be honest i don't think whether i watch or not will make any difference. And i'd say the people saying they are going to skip it would very likely not have watched much anyway no matter where it was on.

The people who should be skipping this are the delegations that countries are sending. No politicians, monarchies, presidents or ambassadors should be there in any official capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Nothing wrong with going and actively highlighting the human rights abuses. Particularly players after they have been eliminated, could see a few spicey interviews maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'll be watching it anyway. As many matches as I can.

I'd prefer that it be held almost anywhere else in the world, and the choice of host does lay bare the utter hypocrisy and shameless money-grab by FIFA...but I'm still going to watch it.

Tbh, I don't know of any football fans who are going to to give it a miss out of principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

It's particularly shocking to me after the last WC was held in such a bastion of humanity and open-mindedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

can all be sorted with a few multi colored armbands lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Absolutely, you’ll see that advertising pitch side and then some LGBT supporting website..

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/community/lgbtq-plus.html

said fast food organisation are a pitch side sponsor at the Qatar World Cup

yet homosexuality in Qatar and same sex sexual activity is illegal.

gay people prohibited from joining the military

No anti discrimination laws at all

the absolute hypocrisy of corporate bs merchants. They embrace the whole LGBT angle when in suits them. $$$$$$$ which 2022 for most it does… $$$$$$$

but quite happy to throw that community under the bus basically when the pitch side advertising is more valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I think I'd echo this.

Might not go out of my way to watch games, but will watch what's on.

I have very little interest for any other spectacle associated with the event though. Because the idea of celebrating any of this doesn't sit right.

• Advertisement

Aside from the migrant issues and the LGB issues... FIFA quite literally chucked all the qualifying criteria that other nations were subjected to out the window when awarding Qatar this world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Im going for a few days. While I am in agreement that its a joke that it was ever allowed to be hosted there, not to mention the construction related human rights issues, I think the whole outrage stinks of hypocrisy. The West love to pick and choose what we're angry about and turn a blind eye when it doesn't suit us.

Worth noting that the Brazilian one was extremely controversial also for many Brazilians with forced removal of 1000s of people from their homes and scandalous overspending.

The funny part is, once the soccer starts, all the outrage will fizzle out, and imo, rightly so. The WC is about more than just the host nation and FIFA.

Post edited by zig on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Given for the lack of interest in anti-reliogus prosecution in countries such as China when major events are held in that country or even to check their trade in response, I might be a tad skeptical of the virtue signalling of the progressives when it comes to their cause celebres.

Qatar is the first Muslim country to host the World Cup…it must be noted that FIFA's decision to vote on two consecutive World Cup venues simultaneously AND twelve years in advance made it seem as though FIFA was trying to create a favorable atmosphere for certain nations with World Cup ambitions, like Qatar but without ready infrastructure, without social amenities, who had or have security questions to answer to actually get the gig and have twelve years plus to get sorted.

a lot of the stadia and infrastructure are / were purpose built or newly built in the years preceding the tournament.

then the World Cup being given the go ahead to start in November ffs….ALL about facilitating Qatar..100% about politics.. football an afterthought…

0% about football, the fans, countries, teams or players. FIFA is a rank organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

I doubt any soccer fan is going to boycott the World Cup because its being staged in Qatar. Why would they? I mean, if the reason is because a despotic, human rights abusing regime is involved in staging the stadiums and the teams, soccer fans would be boycotting all manner of other high profile soccer events such as the Premier League and Champions League. Which they don't.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I couldn’t care less that the World Cup is on in Qatar, and I will be watching parts of it. Just like most of the hypocrites who loudly proclaim that they will be boycotting, just change their mind once it’s actually on.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

I wont be boycotting the World cup no more than people boycott Pennys/Primark, Dunnes, Tesco etc - and even the more expensive stores like Next and GAP etc when buying clothes which are sourced from Bangladesh sweatshops where draconian human rights laws and slave labour working conditions are similar to that of Qatar's.

If people are gonna take the moral high ground on these matters, they really shouldn't be so selective about it! it's a media shitstorm at the moment that will blow over, just as it did when over a thousand 'slaves' were killed in a Dhaka sweatshop 9 years ago. And this shitstorm will also blow over, about a week after the World cup is presented to Thiago Silva, Hugo Lloris, Lionel Messi, Harry Kane, Sergio Busquets or whoever! 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I can understand those who may otherwise have travelled to Qatar boycotting is but boycotting watching it on the telly strikes me as a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Im not boycotting, but this aint really true. Watching it on TV is still supporting the WC and Qatar both financially and morally. IMO you dont get to boycott it and still watch it. Its cheating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

I'm a huge football fan and regularly go to Shels and Ireland games and i most certainly will not be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

List of companies sponsoring the world cup:

Brand

Nubank

Wanda Group

Vivo

Hisense

Mengniu

adidas

Byju's

Claro

Qatar Airways

QatarEnergy

The Look Company

Ooredoo

Qatar National Bank

Gulf Warehousing Company

Crypto.com

Hyundai; Kia

Hublot

Visa

Coca-Cola

McDonald's

-------------------

I'm in a divilmint mood, so I might find some LGTB supporting posters of some of these companies, and email them asking to explain the juxtaposition. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

No and i didn't go to a single qualification game for it either. Qatar can fcuk right off the racist, sexist, homophobic arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It would need to be done by groups in many western countries to have any effect

Really call them out on the hypocrisy of their pro pride events in Summer, etc.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I sent roughly the following to McDonalds, just for the craic:

How can you support: https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/community/lgbtq-plus.html and at the same time promote: https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/football/fifa-world-cup-promotion.html when the country hosting them has it illegal to be part of the first group.

Not expecting any sort of actual reply, but I'll let ye know.

We're already in a dark place if it's multi national corporations that we turn to for a moral compass.

I doubt anyone is looking at McDonalds for a moral compass. Doesn't mean we shouldn't ask. I don't expect a reply but will be interesting to see what they say all the same if they do reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

WTF?

Talk about just completely randomly making something up....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

OP I really dont understand this at all.

Its pretty well documented that there are no openly gay professional soccer players in the UK. Here in Ireland, can you recall any openly gay provincial rugby players or League of Ireland players, or apart from Donal Og, intercounty GAA players.

I really dont, and you are talking about a player pool of tens of thousands there.

And then on the other side, you have aggressive sideline behaviour really taking off again (I mean crowd behaviour).

If we are talking about male players, the article is correct. Not sure where you are coming from at all.

Advertisement