Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't think you have any right to impose your religious beliefs on the workplace.

What the school says goes if it's within the law.

they don’t even taste or feel like sausages anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’m sorry , but who exactly is this clown. What does he do or why is it news ? I’ve never heard of him.Enoch Burke not Kneeemos 😬

He was a scrote , he knew well what he was doing , now it’s possible he learned his technique from the CIA but that’s another story , Sharon tates family on the other hand are awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 28,537 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

1) He wasn’t a civil servant. Teachers are employees of their individual school, not of the State.

2) He wasn’t scheduled to teach the student in question, so he could have just avoided the issue, but he chose to take it head on.

3) Teachers don’t get to opt out of school policies. A school like that isn’t going to have loads of German teachers waiting to pick up his slack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The use of pronouns is complete bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 28,537 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’ve been using them as long as I could speak without too much difficulty.

The lifecycle of most social media platforms like Tiktok, and bebo, MySpace after they have reached their peak can be approximated in the following manner

The Type of account holders is analogus to the sequence of zombie states in the tv series "The Last Of Us":

runners -> stalkers -> shamblers -> bloaters -> death

Or For social media platforms:

Keyboard Warriors -> Spammers -> Trolls -> social death

EDIT: The end result for a Social Media Platform in this light -

Genuine Users become like Joe and Ellie just like in 'The Last Of Us'.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Some doctors don't know what the fvck they're doing.

A while ago, I was referred to the local mental health team after spending two years on antidepressants prescribed by my GPs. 8 in total I think. Have seen the mental health team a handful of times now. The second most recent time I was asked what they could do to help there and then. I asked to be put on a class of antidepressant I hadn't been given before. Nothing specific within that class, just something in that area. They said no. Why ask?

What they did instead is put me on an AD I was on before as well as a new one. Both the same class. First night I took them, fine, if a little queezy. Next night, took them both at 10pm, and by 11 it all went to sh!t. Falling forward in my chair at the desk, seeing static, eyes trying to force themselves closed, jelly for legs, couldn't feel or move my face. I collapsed on my bed and was out for a short while. Saw the GP the next day, it was Serotonin Syndrome, which can kill you.

I explained what happened to the local mental health team. The advice I was given? Take one in the morning, take the other at night. I saw red and essentially lost the rag. Consequently, I've effectively scared them out of prescribing anything to me.

Having been without any kind of medication for weeks now, I feel utterly sh!te. Will be seeing the GP again on Thursday to see if they can do anything.

/rant

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Your opinion isn't controversial.

I think doctors know what they're doing but mental health professionals are shooting in the dark. The human brain is indescribably complex and every one is different. All they have for medications is statistically significant positive results for some and nasty side effects for the rest. Many of these medications are so poor that nowadays they're often substituted with cognitive behaviour therapy/getting into nature/physical exercise/more time with family and friends etc.

I actually feel sorry for them, their job is random and useless for so many sufferers. Genuine breakthroughs on mental health is the holy grail of 21st century medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The issue isn't always lack of knowledge, unless you have very deep pockets the issue can very quickly become lack of access.

Early and regular intervention is needed, not a long waiting list, a few piecemeal appointments and a "hope it works" prescription.

The rest of the health service is sliding into the same chaos despite the extraordinary budget given to it, and health professionals spend too much time penpushing for ever-increasing administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

For a small Country there are some amount of scumbags in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

True but its to be expected when a slap on the wrist is the only deterrent

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Where I grew up, the local GP was from doctor stock and as often happens with doctors from doctor stock, he had that awful smugness and lazy arrogance, I began having frequent chest infections as a teenager so he prescribed me inhalers for asthma but I ended up needing antibiotics twice per year as well

when I moved to another part of the country about fifteen years ago, I started seeing a new GP, she had a bit natural curiosity about her so took a blood test, turned out I’m allergic to numerous things including gluten, I immediately cut out gluten and my life changed over night, I didn’t have asthma at all yet used inhalers for twenty years

Ridiculous.

Fair play for getting sorted out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

Something the mother said to me many moons ago: Doctors and lawyers aren't necessarily smart people, they're just good at reading and remembering what's in a book. Every GP or health professional I've ever visited bar a very expensive visit to a private hospital, has left me feeling very surprised that these people are held so highly in society.

My own controversial opinion of the month is that I feel we deserve the punishment the planet's giving us; I've no interest in global warming etc. it's all waffle imo., but I do think humans, as a people, deserve earthquakes, tsunamis and all form of natural disasters that comes to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Similar to that, this was going to happen, just like California is going to have a horrible event in the future. Were that happened is surrounded by fault lines. It's only a matter of time in these places. But we continue to overpopulate and build more and more in these areas, knowing full well it will eventually happen. Populations are too great now, but I wonder what the clean up/recovery cost vs moving everyone away from the fault lines would be. As much as people complain about Irelands weather, we've one of the safest countries in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Since migrating from V-Bulletin to Vanilla this website has gone downhill big time.

I genuinely appreciate the efforts of all and sundry to have devoted time and put their mind and soul into improving it, especially the unpaid volunteers on here who keep the cogs turning, but it's irreparably damaged and there's no going back. It's a shame it had to happen. I don't use it as much as I used to since.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

We should press ahead with the abolition of DST regardless of what the UK do or do not do.

If the argument is that we can't have two timezones on the same landmass just look at the Iberian Peninsula.

If NI are asked to follow ROI and deviate from GB, if the unionists get their knickers in a twist about being in a different timezone to London, the Canaries are in a different timezone to Spain, and the sky didn't fall. Besides, prior to 1916, the entire island of Ireland had a separate timezone to London.

They have building codes that make them earthquake resistant. Those in Turkey and Syria just seemed to fall over.

• Advertisement

Boards gone downhill since the change is accepted by almost everyone, nobody seems to have any ideas on how to try to get the glory days back

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

A good article I read on this a couple of years ago. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

You can listen to it as opposed to read, if you want, as it is fairly long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Houses in SF are usually built from timber , not brick for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Ladrock or bust

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Like a lot of impoverished countries or ones riddled with corruption, built shoddy and/or on the cheap.

No such thing as safety, just trust in Allah, Buddha or whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

People quoting Voltaire quote of defending what they say. But in reality they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why bother reforming people? Think of all the return business our legal eagles get.

Our system and most others seems to be about punishment,with the approval of the public,more the better.

Probably doesn't serve anybody any good in the long run.

But at least potential victims will be safe for the very short time that a scumbag is behind bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Dev and the CC did us all a favour in the long run by preventing the new State from awarding honours. It was just to preserve their power but can you imagine the doses who’d have letters after their names or be Sir whatever and be so much worse?

Twink, Dermot Bannon, most of the Indo brigade. Then the speculation over why some people are constantly snubbed. O’Leary braying on about why it’s all ‘shite’.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Advertisement