Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Have the best and brightest but pay them what they were on in the job before they were elected really. I can see it now a great economist on 50K sitting beside a doctor on 30K. Now the amount our polirican get paid is criminal in IMO multiples of other countries but pay them. Did you really try to equate a GAA president to a leader of a country. As for protection of course they need some incase some nutter wants to do them hard because its not there person

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

im far more sympathetic to the notion of it being a hoax than anything remotely suggesting 9-11 was “ an inside job “

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

So in other words they can do a rubbish job and ruin the economy and they'll just get another comfy job as a reward

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I can’t respect and admire a man who is gay to the same extent as a straight man, upon discovery it’s just a downgrade in terms of my personal evaluation of an individual’s profile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

(A certain person will blow their load at this 🤣):

I don't like the Burke family, but I don't like seeing adults - many well into middle age - going to town on ridiculing Enoch. He's brainwashed and groomed by extremist parents, remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sunshine2018

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I'll kick it off so.

You do know he has 2 degrees - he's well educated and knows right from wrong regardless of his overbearing mother. When you do a degree you have to research and analysis your responses - he could do the same with his religion, like a lot of us have done in this country and which you can tell by the minimal amount of elderly being the only attendees at catholic masses. He was a teacher and I presume had his pupils use critical thinking in their lessons - perhaps he should use it in his life. Making a scene outside a school and highlighting a child's transitioning is disgusting. Apart from that, abusing your boss, the BOM in a church in front of said students is just plain juvenile and wrong.

He won't be getting my sympathy vote and my hope is that the courts give him and the media a 500 metre ban on attending the school so that the children can attend in peace.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I don't mean sympathy for him though, just think grown-ups could do better than mocking non stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

He's entitled to his beliefs like us all but I honestly don't think most people in the real world don't give one shite about him. Only because I heard it on the radio I know who he is

Yeah but he's not entitled to force his beliefs on others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Ah yes, all those thousands of people employed to do complex maths to get us to the moon just to "hoax" it 🤣 Tell me how do you explain the laser reflectors independent science labs can shine a laser at & get a return from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

He's an easy target, his fault. He could object to lots of things privately and quietly. Him and his family choose to stand on street corners with loud halers, attend and disrupt coroners hearings of people they don't know - their behaviour is reprehensible. Reasonable people don't act, generally, the way they have. I'm an agnostic athiest, I don't deny his right to practice his beliefs but I will not defend his behaviours in any shape or form, especially against children. How he can balance his current behaviour against best practice for the students of that school is incomprehensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I was having a little bit of sympathy for the chap in fairness. Granted their prejudices make it difficult though.

Part of their doctrine is you can't have any pleasure in this world,you have to fight the good fight as they say.

On the scale of screwed up he's probably harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Enoch Burke thing to me screams the parents,

There dropping him there every day & he looks absolutely miserable like he doesn't want to be there

I think they have total control of him & he does what he is told, People will say no excuse he is a adult but i think his whole life has been ruled & positioned by his ma & Da & doesn't know any different,

Musically amazing though , seen him accross a few projects and he lights it up . I put it down to not smoking, his voice is perfect.

I did attend a spoken word though and he put me asleep , mainly because it was apparent what’s an amazing news discovery in America is not news here

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Some GAA referees deserve to be thrown into the boot of a car.

There’s something not right about them , sausages shouldn’t have that texture, compared to olhausen for example superquin taste very cheap

• Advertisement

They should, I wish all sausages tasted as good as superquinns

In that case then he's just a coward for not standing up to his parents.

Olhausen sausages are made by Mallon’s and would be less than 60% pork. And while it might be unpalatable to some, that pork content is mostly made up of offcuts, connective tissue, rendered fat and various bits and pieces from the carcass. The rest is made up of salt, flavourings (yes, msg) and bulking agents.

Until you move into the Jane Russell/Gubeen category and price point of sausages then you are dealing with what’s left when the carcass has been processed. It fairness, they taste amazing and no part of the animal is going to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Haven’t heard anyone say it 30 years. ‘Go abroad for a bit but make sure you come back cos Ireland is great!’ has been the only message out there in the mainstream.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

edited out

Post edited by mikemac2 on

I think it depends on the person, the 3 best managers I've had in my life have been female

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Antipathetic

Ireland should consider getting nuclear weapons for our national defence.

With the UK seemingly going down a more right-wing route. They could be the potential in the future in some remote scenario for them to look at re-invading the island of Ireland. Whether this is for resources or some other reason, we should be prepared for that eventuality, even if we were to solve our current military recruitment issues and get our Navy back to full strength. We still wouldn't have a hope of matching the UK in a military engagement so our only other alternative to remain a free nation would be to have access to nuclear weapons. Now I'm not suggesting we need the big heavy and expensive strategic Nukes. Instead, I suggest the smaller and cheaper tactical nuclear weapons, which are designed for use against military targets and have a much smaller yield combine these small nuclear weapons with reliable delivery systems and it all but guarantees we will remain a free nation as the cost of invading us would be too big to bear for any nation that dared to try.

Post edited by Antipathetic on

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The UK might invade Ireland ? There's a conspiracy forum somewhere round here for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

charles manson....he didnt kill anyone...and he wasnt allowed to defend himself in court.

people say if hitlers guilty for giving orders to kill then so is he on his own scale....but i struggle with that.

before i get shouted at for being so wrong...i have heard it a hundred times.

i do think manson was a bad bast*rd though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Enoch Burke is an awful clown and any point he may have been making about addressing a student as They/Them has been lost in this bizzare path of self-destruction he is currently on, in full view of a mocking and bemused media who just use him to fill their secondary articles "In other news, the teacher Enoch Burke maintains his vigil outside his former workplace for the 100th day".

I actually dont have an issue with him refusing to accept the pronouns. Its his religion, his beliefs so fair enough. But the way he went about his objection was totally counter productive and has made his life 10 times harder as a result. All he had to do was have a 10 minute private chat with the principal and explain that he wont be using the pronouns as it goes against his beliefs. He was a civil servant who cant be sacked so all that would have happened was the student in question would not be rostered for the subjects Burke took and presumably a more tolerant or contract teacher would take up the mantle. End of story life goes on.

But by barging into a public event to loudly confront the principal about it and then stubbornly refuse to abide by a condition to stay away from the school until his case was heard...and in addition bringing his whole family with him to court and disciplinary meetings just gave the law even more rope to hang himself with. And now there is no employer in the country who will touch him, and not for his beliefs but for the unfavourable publicity that follows him and his family everywhere he goes. Would Aldi even hire him??

Advertisement