Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Eat Meat to save the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Cordell

Food is already expensive as it is without us competing with insects and fungi for it. Also, you're idealizing what it means, I'm sure you'll change your mind when every single apple you bite won't have just spots, but also worms.

What worse than biting into an apple and finding a worm? Finding half a worm. This is an old joke people today won't get, what do you mean worms in apples? Apples don't have worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Mackinac

I really don’t like The Beatles music.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,126 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's the music snobs that turn their noses up at you for having any other opinion on the Beatles other than they are the best ever that are the real problem.

I have never bopped/sung along to a Beatles track or two on a night out. Compared to say classics like 'Don't Stop Me Now', 'Take On Me' or 'Don't Look Back in Anger' (oh my god, how mainstream of me).

Heck, I think I have only ever seen one Beatles tribute band play live on a night out. Bit mad considering their supposed status as the greatest of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'd said this before when the Beatles were mentioned - Paul McCarthy has an awful whiny voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Kingslayer

We haven't really moved on from the FF tent at the races type stuff, dodgy deals, bribes etc. All the shennanigans around the housing of asylum seekers has shown that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Both Queen and Oasis are pretty open about the influence of the Beatles on their work. Oasis went as far as saying they were obsessed with them. So regardless of if you like their works, it pretty much had an influence on every generation of music since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭cms88

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭cms88

It's funny how the anti Kenny/LOI won't accept the players weren't there for him, yet would be very fast to use it to defend a manager who didn't come from the LOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

These things have to be viewed in their context. They represented a big shift in the culture from the 50s to the 60s and beyond.

Old people at the time disliked the Beatles precicely because they represented a change in culture.

So us looking back 60 years and not seeing what was so great about the music is fair enough. We're not experiencing the music in the cultural context, so it doesn't have the same effect on us. I know their music meant a lot to my dad and some of his friends who came of age during the Beatles time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Middle aged man moans about moaning. Moanception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

King of Queens is a good sit-com.

All well and good, but when you have increasing population, desertification, droughts etc., how else do you mass produce food? Also crop failures can have devastating consequences; farmers lively hoods, famines etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Suckler

Exactly; leave food supply to be a lottery every year and you'll quickly find (a) food producers abandoning the market and (b) food prices quickly escalating. Back to the days of spuds for breakfast, dinner and tea….? No thanks.

We're also assuming the organic/natural/sustainable industry is also 100% above board, I think in the near future there will be some scandals coming from this industry (which may be more indicative of human greed than their claims etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,126 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The hurling fraternity think the sun shines out of their asses. And I'm speaking as someone who loves the sport.

I don't see gaelic football supporters complain about GAAGO and free-to-air coverage of games. They just fork out the money if they really want to watch it. So many pubs these days have the means of accessing them too if your really stuck. I watched three hurling matches live last weekend, ironically one of the free-to-air games was completely one-sided. If it so happened to be on GAAGo, there wouldn't be half the criticism of the service. It seems they only complain if a high scoring game was live on GAAGo. And it wasn't too long ago there was eff all live games anyway, especially on a Saturday.

Apparently it's scandalous that hurling isn't promoted more as if it's some sort of ancient art and not a sport that has actually deviated more away from the skillful aspect of the game into something more athletically and tactically based.

Apparently there shouldn't be any red cards in the game. 'Yeah it was a foul, but there was no malice in it and its a manly game'. You'd definitely see more post-game criticism of a referee in hurling than football.

One thing I have noticed, which maybe ties in with the mindset of the last paragraph. A lot of hurling heads seem to be more agricultural/culchie in their background (not stereotyping, I'm a culchie myself). None seem to have the same reverend, professional stature of Jim Gavin, Pat Gilroy, Jim McGuinness or say Sean Boylan. Liam Griffin is the only non-teacher hurling manager I can think of that was a very succesful business man away from the game. More likely to see fat lads over a team shouting abuse at the ref (with hurl in hand) than you would in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Irish people: we need high density developments.

Also Irish people: BUT NOT NEAR MY HOUSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jovana99

• Registered Users Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

That capital punishment should be an option for evil fcukers . Save the country paying to keep them in prison

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭purifol0

Here's one for ye:

Mandatory paternity testing at birth.

If you don't think that's controversial you should ask women about it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,985 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m a McCartney fan and I like his voice but it’s completely shot. Watched a fair few live things he’s done recently and throughout his 70’s looked and sounded great, looked 10 years younger great voice. He almost 82 now and his voice has gone to pot, really weak and scratchy / whiny.

Pretty understandable that it's controversial, the implication is women can't be trusted in general.

And they shouldn't be. Paternity fraud is very real.

It might be an issue but it's definitely not a large scale issue that would justify either the expense or sweepingly labeling women as liars. Can you point to any states that have such a policy? I'd also suspect this has more to do with your general attitude towards women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/122170919#Comment_122170919

Farmers need to start producing Food & fibre from the worlds lands & waters using regenerative/ holistic management systems.
    working with Nature. Not against it.

There’s plenty of them doing it in USA such as Joel Salatin, White Oak pastures & las Cumbres Ranch etc

Until we learn/change the way humans make decisions & form policy we’re absolutely fooked.

This will never happen through organisations or institutions at scale until public opinion changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

On the contrary your general attitude towards men and children is the issue here.

As for the cost - the financial cost pales in comparison the social cost and most men would like their taxes to go towards something for them, for once.

And if you actually wanted paternity fraud to stop - mandatory testing would prevent it outright.

I'm a guy firstly and still view it as a pretty nasty approach. Secondly, you haven't established the scale of such fraud and can you point to a single state that does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Don't blame him.Blame the F.A.I. who gave him the job in the first place.

• Advertisement

Good for you, you can opt out. As for other countries, France has made it illegal - and other places only allow it with the consent of the mother. Now why would they do that???

Do you not understand the devastation that occurs when it's found to have happened? Since at birth testing or during pregnancy testing now exists (and is incredibly cheap) - its 100% preventable crime. So why are you ok with it?

Advertisement