Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fuzzy1

Red meat and a diet high in animal saturated fat is the best diet for humans. Vegetables are not that good for you since most of them are not natural and created by man in recent times. Industrial seed oils aka vegetable oils such as rapeseed oil, sunflower oil etc are extremely bad for you and should only be used to oil your engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

If RTÉ's ideal perfect audience lived in their own Town, it would mirror the same society in the satellite ring in the movie Elysium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Obviously this is Ireland, and I’d question the word inevitable, but the sentiment is true. There’s so many identikit middle-aged male moaners on the internet these days. All irritability, jealousy, spite, generic contrarianism. You really don’t encounter so many of these frightful bores in real life. I’m wondering if being the first generation who had access to the internet as a teenager/early 20’s has led to a glut of these lads?It’s not like they have anything remotely new or insightful to say. It’s just a hive mind of mediocrity and doomscrolling negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

are they wrong?

Are they not allowed post their opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The state of Dublin city center is an embarrassment to Ireland. It's an absolute Kip in many parts. Just came back from Slovenia and Croatia. Didn't see anything like what we have In Dublin. In terms of litter, drug use, tents etc. we are going the way of dumps like San Francisco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

On a night away in one of the bigger regional hubs that isn't Dublin, full of Americans. All of them I have talked to seemed to have began their vacation in Dublin, which makes sense, and not one had any good words to say about it.

A national embarassment

• Registered Users Posts: 20,087 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The people who get cross about Ireland losing its culture and blame immigrants, are usually the same people who do least to practice the culture and teach it to the next generation

They tend to not be the people who learn the folklore, dancing, traditions and rituals of Irish culture. They're the problem and they're the main reason Irish culture won't be passed to their children. But they blame immigrants who enthusiastically practice their own cultures, as if they were the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭johnire

You are so correct. I’ve been saying the exact same thing for quite a while. I couldn’t agree more with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There's also a certain cohort who wouldn't know culture if it slapped them in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Kingslayer

If Irish politicians were routinely tested for drugs like athletes we would be seeing some very senior ones turfed out on their ear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Guess some of us are to busy working & providing for our family’s and other’s to have the time to learn to play the harp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Haha reducing Irish culture to fiddle di di fiddle di da.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭eggy81

Well if that culture involves standing outside hotels smoking fags or sitting on public benches drinking vodka and making passive aggressive comments at passers by your certainly spot on there. 💯

Everyone has to work to provide for our families. That's not special. What's that got to do with the price of spuds?

Not certain what your point is. Do you have no time or interest in keeping Irish culture alive?

@kowloonkev I just didn't write an exhaustive list of the components of Irish culture. I didn't actually mention music at all though. It's funny you'd suggest I reduced Irish culture to a component I didn't even list.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

A lot of the faux empathy and compassion that is rolled out for display at every opportunity is only a thin veneer over a nasty controlling bully.

Ironically very like the church most of these types despise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

You blame Irish people for letting our culture die, no thought given to the fact everybody’s working flat out these days so time is scarce.

And nobody is blaming immigrant’s.

It’s the economic machine that’s destroying cultures all over the world through policy & education.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

Here's one of mine, I guess:

American tourists deliberately make themselves heard in this country out of complete self-absorption.

They'll say the most banal or ridiculous things, often way too loud, just to be heard. They want everyone around them to know that there are Americans nearby.

Case in point: was at a local café of mine when 4 American tourists walk in and take a table. When the server comes along, one of the Americans actually said very loudly, "do you serve coffee here?" — one of the stupidest questions I have ever heard in my life given the location. It would be the equivalent of going into a pub and asking if they serve beer.

And surprise, surprise — that question then turns into where the Americans came from and what they were doing.

Self-absorbed to a shocking degree.

The sentiment that immigrants are diluting irish culture is not prevalent amongst the anti-immigration types? Well that's a relief. I'll need to disbelieve the evidence I've seen of them saying exactly that...

I didn't actually say the culture is dieing at all. I did say the people who don't learn it, practice and teach it to the next generation are most responsible if their children don't know the culture.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'm gonna say it. Yogurt is better at room temperature.

Yeah, I said it.

I store my yogurt in the fridge. It is kept cold and fresh. I bring a yogurt to work every work day but I usually don't eat it until the coffee break after lunch. By that time it's room temperature and tbh I prefer it that way. Fight me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭corkie

It is bad enough that our MEP's voted the 'Digital Services Act' into existence on our behalf!

Some people commenting "Unelected officials have no legal right to infringe on our 'freedoms and privacy'" ~~ X'er

Next thing in the pipeline, which we will probably be required to use to sign into social media with is: -

https://digital-strategy.ec.europa.eu/en/policies/eudi-wallet-implementation

The EU Digital Identity Wallet is designed as a convenient and secure method for European citizens and businesses to authenticate their identity, using their digital ID for both public and private sector interactions. Users can store various digital documents within the wallet, ranging from academic credentials to transportation passes, and use it for signing into private platforms, such as social networks. This approach is more secure and user-friendly than managing numerous passwords.

Following Australia: -

Australian Government Digital ID Bill passes Parliament!

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hurling is near impossible to watch on TV.

I wouldn't sit to watch a full game, but any time I see highlights on the news, I simply can't see the sliotar.

I see guys whacking it from 100 yards out, the camera pans towards the posts, I see the fans celebrate and I see the flags go up, but in all of this I never see the thing go through the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I remember when I was only about 10 being in a restaurant in tipperary, some old fat American was berating the waitress about the hold up on his families food, then he says "typical Irish" such a dickhead saying that in Ireland. Imagine saying that in a country you are visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭djan

To be fair eating food closer to the temperature of our mouth allows us to process flavours better and more intensely as the brain isn't focusing on the temperature of the food.

It's like if something is too spicy for you, it's hard to make out flavour and your focus is the heat/pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭djan

Seems like a good idea to me. Social media should be tied to a person's identity and for people to be fully accountable for their actions online.

It often baffles me what people will spout online when they'd never deem it OK to do in person. Seems that many people think there are completely different societal norms when online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Stephen Kenny taking the St Pats job shows you he was never good enough for the Ireland senior job in the first place.

Anyone else after what had happened with Ireland would have been looking for a job away from Ireland to prove he was not just a LOI manager but he decided to stay in his comfort zone , which is fine I don't blame him it's what I do myself in my job but that sort of attitude isn't good enough at the highest level of international sport and is an example of why he failed in the first place as he's content to just keep to what he knows.People who succeed at the top level in any sport are always pushing themselves to be better and pushing for new challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭purifol0

Pensioners should have to pay the TV License as they are literally the only ones watching RTÉ.

If you don't think that's a controversial opinion go ask the next politician at your doorstop what the chances of getting that changed are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Not sure if it is controversial or not but seeing as they still exist I imagine it is to some. The use of pesticides and herbicides should be banned.

There is nothing good to be said about any of them, they destroy insects and plant life which has knock on effect for the entire ecosystem not to mention them almost certainly seeping into the food we eat.

As Joni Mitchell sang "give me my spots on my apples, leave me the birds and the bees".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pgj2015

As far as I know, he wasn't offered a job abroad. And he was missing work, so fair play to him taking the St pats job. He will win a league title for them within 3 years and probably do well in Europe as well.

He didn't have the players for Ireland, they are useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Bo Selecta was a pile of crap

Advertisement