Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 month suspended sentence for sending 16 derogatory messages

Options
124»

Comments

The only part he didn’t deserve was the suspended bit

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Not the weirdest hill the OP has chosen to die on.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Someones been keeping a keen eye on the school timetable so.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

He now has a police record and a conviction against a pubic figure.. more of a deterrant than at first appears. "The establishment" gets very protective of its own... If he sets one toe wrong in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The separation of powers should have ensured that there was no political interference in the prosecution process. The womens groups seeking more representation in politics did come out after the conviction to voice their disapproval at the leniency of the sentence. The conditions attached to the suspended sentence are also very light, unless he gets some impulse to travel to Leinster House to exercise his human rights. I could easily see various agitators getting in touch with him to urge him to do so.

"She imposed a one-year suspended sentence, a condition of which will be that he must not contact the TD in any way and must stay away from her, her home, her constituency office and the environs of Leinster House for five years."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Although the sentence is light enough dont forget the public humiliation aspect of this, his name and picture were in the media.

The sentence is not going to put off similar perpetrators but might make those who have issues with women or those who try to normalise such behavior off a bit as it can have serious implications for the rest of their life when they are caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And the Judge of course knew all this and likewise knows exactly what the sentence means and implies.. Well done, Judge!

Post edited by Graces7 on

I'd love to think that was true but unfortunately people who engage in this behaviour are not known for considering the consequences of their actions for anybody involved.

No I am not a big Peterson fan.

What now? Or is that it?

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

Well, yeah. I've got kids, it's kind of important to know when they're on breaks. Especially so I can make sure they don't waste their time defending some sex offender on boards.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

From the pictures he looks like he regards the whole thing as a big laugh. Not even covering his face with a jacket like youd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

“Judge Ryan said the aggravating factors in this case included the amount of messages sent and the effect the harassment had on the TD during an “important”, “busy and stressful part of her life”.”

So 16 messages in 2 months is an aggravating factor? Or is it just because it was such a busy time for her?

Certainly a surprising statement considering how much it usually takes to get someone convicted for this sort of carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Must have been because it was a busy time for her. Either that or sending 16 messages over a two month period (i.e. two messages a week) is considered equivalent, in the eyes of the law, to breaking into a woman's house and sexually assaulting her in her own bed.

But sure enough, the white knights of boards are here in numbers to jump in to defend this system.

Well the two posts before this are absolutely no surprise at all.

Disgusting thread OP trying to excuse criminality. Gender-based violence of all sorts requires zero tolerance. Minimum sentencing guidelines required.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Reminds me of the time this hot 19 year old female model was sending me 16 messages over the course of two months and you would not believe what she done in some of those messages, she sent me graphic pictures of her naked.

I was shocked and disgusted and felt like I was being violated. I felt dirty for days. To this this day I am still not right I have to go to therapy and everything, I'm constantly thinking why would she send these vile messages to me. I called the Garda up straight away. They said they had never seen anything like it before and proceeded to send the messages to other colleges just to show them how violated I was.

I remember the court day and the judge said I cannot believe what beautiful young woman like yourself would send messages like this to this ugly bastárd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Advertisement