Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 month suspended sentence for sending 16 derogatory messages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Wezz

It’s almost like you feel sorry for the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's (at least) two of them, which is even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I’m surprised a mere 16 messages were enough to build a case. But I guess it’s just a suspended sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

A lot of 'normal' people do send noodz.

And there are plenty of lets just say educationally disadvantaged, or even temporarily mentally unwell people out there. Guys who've had a bit too much, and guys got the wrong end of the stick.

If we make single incident creepiness a crime half the menfolk will be in prison, nature has designed us with creepy tendencies. We have to be creepy or humanity will cease to be.

Persistent creepiness is different, that warrants a legal procedure. And that procedure should start with a warning that they're being creepy and need to stop.

If there's a warning then we know that the harmless eejits and the socially inept will now know for sure that what they're doing is unwelcome.

If theres no warning then the local Dougal who got dared online to send a picture of his willy might well end up in a cell with some thug, labelled for life.

No need to go 0-100. Whats the harm in a caution first.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭notAMember

The other sentences are too low OP.

Harrassing someone sexually is a criminal offence. If you’re a woman serving in public office, you are even more vulnerable than many other professions, having to travel to unfamiliar places as part of your work. We are already underrepresented by women because they are put off by this kind of behaviour, and the acceptance of some people who think it’s somehow ok.

• Advertisement

"If there's a warning then we know that the harmless eejits and the socially inept will now know for sure that what they're doing is unwelcome."

Seriously???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This is a really odd hill to die on for the OP.

If he didn't catch himself on after sending the first obscene message, the Gardai were always going to be involved, and it was always going to go to lead to conviction.

He can count himself lucky he didn't end up gaoled to be honest. He has the opportunity to straighten himself out now, and one would hope he uses it.

Not a single incident. 16 incidences.

It says a lot when there is more concern shown for the type of "harmless eejit" who sends these messages, and absolutely none for the recipients.

Its not harmless.

Prosecution and sentence were appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Bit harsh on the OP, but I can kind of see where you're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If you're suggesting the sentences in those other cases were too lenient I agree they were and jail time is what was needed in each of them.

I'm about as far from a white knight as its possible to be but here you are making excuses for some lad who thought it was ok to send pics of his cock to a TD.

"Psychological condition" my eye.

More like some bellend hiding behind his phone thinking he couldn't get caught.

I'm not a FG supporter but every time this TD tweets a picture of her at some event or something else that is completely harmless and light hearted the abuse she gets is unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Maybe forget the content for a second, and see it as harassment of a nefarious nature. I reckon he had warnings and ignored them and persisted. Was always likely he was then going to face consequences.

See 'Persistent creepiness is different'.

Also we don't know the frequency with which the messages were sent. It could have been 1 a day for 16 days, or a flurry of 8 sent in an half hour twice over 2 days. Even 16 at once. An image followed by a message 8 time. Just 'Hello' and 'bye' counting for 2.

Nobody said it was harmless.

If such a system remains in place it will trivialize actual cases, which is the typical end result of witch-hunts. Over sensitivity leads to a blanket approach, leads to miscarriages (such as some slow lad being jailed for a stupid mistake) which leads to ridicule and disregard of the system. Something the Karens never seem to get.

Going out and labelling every man a creep for the tiniest thing just ends up with a forest of so called 'creeps', the real ones indistinguishable, and now able to point to a long list of false allegations in their defense.

Stick in a warning and the numbers get cut way down, those who were just foolish enough to have overstepped the line once will heed the warning and run back to their basements.

Only the serious creeps will ignore the warning. Those guys are what the courts are for.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

Nobody said it was harmless

Yet you called the sender a "harmless eejit".

Nobody is labelling all men creeps. You're the one making sweeping generalisations.

THIS man is a creep. His actions are what made him distinguishable as a creep.

Stop making excuses and defending the indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Going exactly how he envisaged.

Blatant trolling and a load of people biting.

A great day for the OP.

WUM.

I bet if some unknown bloke sent your partner, mother, daughter or sister 16 unsolicited dick pics, you wouldn't be laughing him off as a "harmless eejit" and arguing that he just needs a firm talking too.

So rather than prove your claim you just call me a wind-up.

Nobody can take you seriously now.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mct1

It was over a 3 month period. And it wasn't some lad, he's 43 years old. Suspended sentence and utter embarrassment of seeing his picture all over the national press sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

If a stranger sent you 16 dick picks would you

A) block their number

B) Insist that the Gardai launch an investigation, track down the IP, identify the perpetrator, press charges/submit a legal case to have the person convicted, then follow it up with a public statement on the steps of the courts in front of the media?

Tell me which option you would seriously pursue?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The woman in question is a public figure whose job it is to interact with large volumes of strangers in constituency clinics. Of course she was going to report. She had no idea what kind of loon he was and what he was capable of.

I am neither a female or a public figure, and I would be on to the Gardai if I received consistent harassing anonymous messages of a sexual nature.

She did the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Ok so would it still sound right if some mentally subnormal man, who lives a relatively isolated life, were to be trolled and manipulated by some muppets into doing something similar. (go on show her your mickey, i heard her saying she wants you etc etc)

Or would it be better for all involved if the police just called round for a chat with his mother and social worker.

There are lolcows out there. The Chris Chans and Bobo Kerlans and dragonlords of this world. Most towns have one. This site has no shortage.

Protect our lolcows.

Are you actually trying to imply that she was somehow at fault for not blocking him?

Or that she should not have pursued this with the Gardai?

As my evening comes to a close, I can thankfully once again tick off that line on the to-do list; "DON'T get yourself on the registered sex offenders list."

Phew, hopefully my luck will hold out tomorrow. Stay strong, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

There are lolcows out there. The Chris Chans and Bobo Kerlans and dragonlords of this world. 

I have no idea what any of this means...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Did she not block him or did he keep getting new numbers? It's another level of weird if he got new numbers to text her from.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The OP couldn't even find a link to the story on line, and made up the wrong details in their head. The other poster keeps going on about giving a caution, when they know that this is simply not available in these cases. Ironic that their reasoning for a caution is lack of education on behalf of such offenders.

It shows the power of misinformation that so many posts have repeated the 16 incidents lie which the OP made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Usually ‘sexy conversations’ are something that escalates from flirty to sexual and both people are involved initiating and participating in.

• Advertisement

Just put their names in youtube. Maybe Drachenlord or Bobo Kurlan first. Chan may take a while.

Advertisement