Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ad awareness about electricity saving?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Bathroom and hob extractors suck warmed air out of house, by sucking in cold air from path of least resistance.

All the new air has to be heated.

So when using extraction fans, keep use to a minimum and crack open window closest to fan so that the heat reduction is kept local.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Would have been great if the OP had spent five minutes searching the web to check out whether such a campaign actually existed before coming up with his genius idea, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭phormium

I was working from home yday and had radio on and must have heard it at least 3 times during breaks in programmes, haven't noticed anything on tv but they are fairly plugging it on radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The thing to question though... are we looking to save money, or energy?. It is not the same thing.

I would argue that as consumers we can't save money in the present market environment, as prices are only going to increase. The best we can do is to negate some of the increases (probably only on a temporary basis). I do not see that as saving money. The market is set up so that the consumer will always come off worse... we have no control over that, despite what sacrifices and lifestlye changes we make.

If we are looking to save energy, then the real immediate focus is to avoid supply issues and to keep the lights on (may be hidden/deflected by longer term environmental concern factors) ... even though the point made above, will mean that it will still be costing us more to use less.

The consumer is a cash cow being milked at the moment, while also being blamed for using too much energy at the wrong times .... by the people who should have ensured that they adequately prepared for the national energy need. We are being price hammered and blamed for a situation that is not of our making in order to deflect from where the responsibilities for this mess lies. I am not talking about Mr V Putin as the scapegoat, Ireland was always heading for high prices and a shortfall in supply, because of piss poor management and planning by a variety of government and associated agencies (CRU, Network planners etc.)

Is the current market setup, the increased competition benefit scenario that consumers were promised when private enterprise and sector regulation was introduced to the market?. Ireland had a national energy supply programme that was once the envy of the world.... and then we handed it over to commercial motivation and guess what?... just like relying on private enterprise to provide for our housing needs..... it hasn't worked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'd be curious how much electricity or money people have saved and how.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭riddles

I thought from a fire safety perspective using house hold appliances during FG the night was not advised. Is this no longer the case?

The data from causes of fires would suggest no. Though sone will dispute how many fires are acceptable compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭jack of all

I have to chime in here on the whole dishwasher debate, maybe I've missed it, but all the talk about why dishwashers and washing machines no longer take a hot water feed from a cylinder are ignoring a very simple concept. If these machines drew hot water off there would be many litres of hot water left standing in the distribution pipework before it gets to the machine, which is simply wasteful, unless the pipes are lagged to minimise heat loss. The most cost effective way is to heat the water where it will be used, ie in the machine. Whether the water is heated in a cylinder by immersion heater or in the machine itself the cost to bring the water up to temp is the same but by heating in the machines energy lost by heat loss is minimised.

I thought using the hot water feed for appliances was found not to be useful. So they stopped doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

All discussing just putting the hot on to the cold feed. Which will destroy your glassware if your hot water is too hot. Not that they have seperate hot and cold feeds which is what was being discussed.

Maybe you can go use your google-skillz to find out that modern dishwashers do in fact have heat exchangers, despite your claim above.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I am seriously in credit ( OAP so I get the DSS allowances). Mainly as living offshore I have not been able to get my washing machine plumbed in/not able to afford to. No dishwasher and mostly heat water by backboiler or kettle on gas stove. Bottled gas and have only ever needed a new bottle every three or four months. sru fre has as

So now I am starting to use more electricity and anticipating a snug winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

That's interesting. I could hook the dishwasher and washing machine to my combi boiler and use gas instead of electricity for hot water. Even better if you have solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Efficiency vs actual cost, separate the two. Heating with electricity is 100% efficient in terms of waste/CO2 locally, but that doesn't mean it's cheaper. Also if you have solar heating your water it's free essentially to feed that to the dish washer/washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

They’re not on TV, they’re only on radio. And those spoiled teenager types don’t listen to the likes of newstalk… they listen to other stations that don’t play them. With the sexual harassment ads, and the seat-belt ads, they made the effort to use actors in hypothetical scenarios. It’s a lot more memorable. The ads you refer to just basically say turn your thermostat down and for more tips to visit whatever the website is. That’s not good enough; it needs to be spoon-fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Whoever is paying the bills in a household should be the ones to take the lead. They can spoon feed their own teenagers.

They're definitely only on radio then? No online advertising or social media adverts as part of this campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I wouldn't know because I'm blind to ads online, and I assume nearly everyone else is too. If it's TV though, everyone is forced to watch it. That's the difference.

Are you calling from 2010? Ever heard of DVRs and fast forwarding? Ever heard of Netflix and Amazon Prime?

Who actually watches TV ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

I am of an era when adverts were genuinely insightful and informative. Such as

• Advertisement

Have to agree I'd almost never see a TV ad.

Advertisement