Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ad awareness about electricity saving?

Options
  • 20-10-2022 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

We have non-profit ads on TV and radio about spotting sexual harassment in public, about smelling gas on the street, etc. So why can't we have ads about how to save electricity? I know a lot on boards are climate change deniers and that's fair enough, but for those of you who do believe, I have to ask if you think this would be a good idea? It could be something like '5 basic tips for how to save electricity'. And I know people wouldn't like it and you'd get a lot of "they're bringing in data centres and they won't even allow me to make a cup of tea" type comments, but there are a lot of people out there who are either lazy, ignorant, or preoccupied, and it would do the world of good to have them see such reminders. To people who say they're already conscious of all this, then such ads wouldn't be any more annoying than all the other ones you to sit through. 

For example, how many people across the country go to boil a kettle at half time for some important match? Well imagine if they all had just seen a reminder on the tele about how to only boil what you need?! The cumulative effect of that would be massive. There are many other similar energy saving examples as that. Such need only be 5 to 10 seconds long. And if not for the environment, then we should still do it in order to avoid black-outs. Unfortunately the only time you hear talk about the environment is in the news, and the news only talks about stuff like the consequences of the climate change and emission targets, and never actual everyday solutions. You never hear talk about the environment on the street. The only time it's mentioned in ads is when it's some company making bogus or misleading claim that it's helping the environment.

There should also be awareness ads on how to recycle properly and what not flush down the toilet, because most people don't even know.

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

These high electricity costs are a HUGE money spinner for the companies involved and the government. If we all skimped like feck on electricity and kept costs down it would harm the economy.

When have you last seen a public awareness campaign telling people to harm the economy? I have personally never seen one. It's always "spend more!"

Spend 35,000 or 100,000 on upgrading your house. That is the kind of thing they encourage, gotta keep the velocity of money up

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Most people know how to recycle and how to save electricity but a lot don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The problem is that these ads are at the same time they are pushing smart meters which result in increased bills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Fully agree with the OP and also anticipate plenty of nonsense responses from people giving out Eamonn Ryan. Turning the thermostat down to 20/21 degrees should be another one. If you're not wearing a jumper inside in the winter you have the heating on too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ask long term ill/disabled and us pensioners about this. HUGE sigh of relief here at the new allowances. Keeping one room warm etc. Hot water bottles.. And yes, warm clothing.

• Advertisement

The allowances are given to you by the same corrupt shower that created the silly Thatcherite electricity market we have now. They are only pumping the money through you so they can give it to their high-flying investment buddies. Hugging you with one arm and punching you with the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its funny that you have the tellycom airin logo as your avatar to remind us of what the pre "thatcherite" utility market was like in Ireland.

I'll take what we have over going back to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

People don't have much faith in the current government.

And what little they had was thoroughly destroyed by:

• The scam that is Smart meters
    • Planning restrictions around solar panels that were only lifted recently
    • Dragging their feet on FIT(Feed in Tariffs) that make solar panels more financially viable
    • Allowing so many Data centers that they're a threat to our grid and reaching are climate target

I feel any government campaign is going to fall on deaf ears because of the above.

I think though there is scope on for showing people which appliances use the most energy, as there does seem to be some misconceptions out there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Telecom Eireann were - by the 90s, after being allowed invest - one of the most technologically advanced telecoms operators in Europe and were fairly normally priced.

It was the privatisation that stopped that stone dead.

The P&T days were dire; but those were ancient history by the time it was privatised.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm particularly irked by those Electric Ireland Smart Meter ads...

"Take Control of your Electricity" - What a load of bullcrap..... people will use what they use, and thats all there is to it.... (they'll just pay more on a smart plan).

And if people don't understand that turning on their electric oven, or dishwasher or washing machine is going to result in a spike on their usage, then smart meters certainly aren't going to save them from higher bills!!

• Advertisement

Oh DEAR! Is that really how you see it? Nah! lol

Pretty much. I can see why they'd be tempted to throw free tax payer's money in the direction of renewable energy companies due to the dire state the national grid is in and first giving it to normal people in order to win votes. The likes of Airtricity are cleaning up out of this, I wonder how many millions the right honourable Sir Alastair Philips-Davies Esq. will get next year

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

LOL I can remember in the late 90s trying to get a phone line changed when I moved house, got absolutely nowhere with Tellycom Eireann, after a few weeks the most was a "we'll get back to sometime" runaround. My mother made a phone call to my uncle who was a big wig in there and suddenly the phone was installed and a line run up to the bedroom for my troubles.

That was how that place worked 😂

Well I do not give a..... whatever the most extreme expression is .... about any of your post or even understand it. What matters right now is that my small home and I are going to be more comfortable and snug this winter. Heartfelt thanks to whoever that is due to. The extra allowances will save lives and help keep old folk safe and well this winter. Last winter was .... best forgotten.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the allowances cover the price difference from last winter, you'll be lucky

I am amazed that when you look at the EirGrid dashboard there seems to be no decrease at all in demand between september and october. Great business to be in, not too many industries can foist a 45% increase on their customers and sell exactly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm surprised that anyone with an interest in this area has not come accross the Reduce your Use campaign which has been going since April. I heard one of the radio ads on Today FM this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭tjhook

I think the OP has a point. At least for people like me that hadn't put any thought in it before.

Recently I started measuring my power use, and discovered a few simple things around my TV. I have a number of devices, including:

- Virgin Cable box was configured to power down to a state that it was quick to start up again when powered on. I set it to shutdown more completely when powered off, and although it now has a slower (10-sec) startup, it consumes less power when not in use

- AV Receiver was set to pass the TV signal through to the TV, even when on standby. I noticed the receiver was warm to the touch even in standby. Again, a change to the configuration and now it powers down completely.

- I have a media player that was powered on 24/7, so I could transfer content to it over Wifi. Duh. It's powered down now other than when I need it on.

- Subwoofer permanently powered on even though used infrequently. Now powered off except when in use.

Just those simple measures, with no impact on my life, will save over €30 from my 2-monthly bill.

Did not know it existed and I do listen to the radio from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I would suggest going to the fridge and taking out a nice cool beer instead of going for the tea mid match. Emergency legislation needs to be introduced to lower the cost of beer including overturning the minimum alcohol unit pricing and scrap vat on it as well. This can go a long way in saving the planet.

Oh, and I suggest turning off the TV during ad breaks as well for further savings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

As hundreds of thousands more people are added to this country, there is more electricity demand and indeed more pollution.

5 days ago more then 500 homes were left without power in Cork.

Primatestown Water Pump Station in Meath had a power failure 2 or so days ago. causing depleted water levels at Windmill Hill Reservoir. Impacted customers in Ratoath, Kilbride, Fairyhouse Road, Skyrne, Painstown, Macetown and surrounding areas were impacted by lower than normal water pressure and in some instances, particularly on higher ground, and some experienced intermittent water outages.

A week ago Castlecomer residents numbering up to 4000 had a power outage.

Laois borders saw 588 properties were without power.

power outages due to demand…

the old saying… “ cut your cloth to meet your measure “… but nope…

im in a newish build, super insulation so in case of outages I’ll be grand… central heating is on for about 10% - 15% of the year so that tells you how well insulated… not everyone is as fortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Electric Ireland only stopped charging people extra for not using enough electricity in May 2022 - the Low Usage Standing Charge which was in place for around a decade. I suspect that given what has happened with energy this year and the "climate emergency", EI would prefer to erase that from history. Or try to spin it that anyone paying the normal standing charge was getting a discount while the low usage was the standard.

Utilities want people using/wasting their product as long as they don 't use TOO much of it or use it at the "wrong" time. If Irish Water was charging for water, it would want people using a lot yet still imposing hosepipe bans when it suited.

None of those power outages were due to demand, they were due to failures and/or weather. There have been no power outages due to demand - yet.

If those do happen, they'll affect a lot more than 500 premises at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

“It says the country will most likely need 37pc extra electricity by 2031, although it could be as high as 50pc more.”

“The look-ahead comes in EirGrid’s annual generation capacity statement (GCS) published today which warns of a “challenging outlook” over the next 10 years.”

the article also mentions capacity and scary quotes from ear grid.

outages not DUE to demand but no capacity to backup…

They more than cover it... I am well in credit and am carefull and very appreciate of the extra allowances.. Maybe look at the amounts? Excellent factual at the Benefits forum.

Also I am through choice and long experience multi fuel. Bottled gas cooker. . solid fuel stove with a back boiler, portable gas heater

I had one bad winter in the past when I was all electric and never again. and with the extra allowances whatever the weather an easier winter ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Why are smart meters a scam, I hear people say this all the time but what's behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The smart meter tariff is higher than the older day/night rates and they're introducing much higher peak-time rates from 5-7 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Savings from turning on and off your telly are surely absolutely tiny compared to leaving them on standby?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Gooser14

What I don't like about the smart meter is that once you choose a smart tarrif plan you can never revert to a 24 hr tariff. There is also a post on boards which states Electric Ireland advised that from 2024 smart tariffs only will be the only option if you have a smart meter.

• Advertisement

Depends on the TV. Most appliances made in the last decade or two only use a watt or less in standby but some use more, or go faulty. Most libraries have socket power meters you can borrow to check for this

These can find some serious parasitic draws. I had first gen remote control (dedicated remote, not WiFi) plug sockets in my living room about ten years ago that were taking about 20w each permanently for instance. Providing a bit of background heat I guess!

Advertisement