Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s simply not any form of disease at all. It’s not even a medical condition.

Everyone experiences loneliness. It’s an emotion.

happiness isn’t a form of disease. It’s an emotion,

There are mental ‘disorders’… no such thing as mental diseases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Worse. In my vast experience. When I finally after 30 years of wrong diagnoses was correctly assessed I spent a full year in isolation just getting off all meds. 24 tabs a day. There was a really great voluntary group called "Involuntary Tranquilliser Addiction" who I learned from on the phone. The doctors knew NOTHING so I kept getting prescritions lest they just stop everything suddenly ( NB when I was clear I parcelled up all the meds and sent them to an overseas medical charity) The vicious headaches that literally felled me to my knees lasted many years afterwards. As soon as I was clear i left the UK permanently and they cannot here access my records without my permission. I had excellent legal help with it all.

Now I get the pain relief I need. Period. I take nothing unless I know exactly what it is and the risks etc My body. My choice. Have refused a few things. Nearly 80 and going for long life!

There is so much skilled info online now. And trust me that there are times with this incurable illness I have been tempted. Oh and been offered illegal drugs as being " better" then prescription meds.

Not at all... Speaking from decades of experience. We each have to take responsibility for our own lives

NB Who are you seeing as victims?

And please do not blaspheme.. and read the words of Jesus on this matter.

• Advertisement

I did not say that and never would.. Shameful accusation. I am permanently housebound and in isolation and there is help available and you can give help also. Did you seek out folk needing contact? There was a lot of help out there. It was and is a hard hard time. Suicide is never acceptable but is in the end a personal choice. And that statement is not "victim blaming"

Amen to this. But folk in desperation cling to straws.

Signing off on this. All has been said .

NB there are resources and numbers etc here on boards ie... Thank youi boards ie! Great folk....If you need resources, they are there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

thread topic reminds me of a joke

Q What did the Alabama Sheriff say when he saw the dead body of a black man, riddled with over a dozen bullets?

A He said it was the worst case of suicide he'd ever seen

.Oh one thought occurs re stats. In past decades there were far far more mental hospitals/bed than now.

Wondering how this affects the stats re sucide.

In eg Sheffiedl in the uk where I knew the scene well, there was a huge mental hospital ( Middlewood) and a separate clinic for less serious cases. Whitely Woods.

Now both those are long closed and there is a ward in a general hospital only.

Certainly is not that fewer folk are encountering mental health problems as this thread shows and this could affect stats re eg suicide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sometimes it's a case of 'a women will never be wanting on a night out'. They will always be some creep that will be there for comfort

Some lads constantly need to be the big man

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's the same here all the large mental hospitals are closed now too. And mental hospitals are on wards in general hospital here also.(Well the majority are, there are still a few purpose built one)

The reason they had large mental hospitals years ago is once you were admitted it was very difficult to get out. You get put in and you were nearly there for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 AvalonEnaid

This! F'ing this!

As an ex member of sanctioned-suicide, I can say that the vast majority of suicides can be prevented if people are just f'ing KIND to one another. There are of course some people that are beyond saving (its the reality, get over it) and no matter how hard you try, they will eventually take their life. Even if you stop them today, they'll just bide their time and try again at a later stage.

This is interesting and makes me question in what stage the people you spoke to are. From my experience, the people who want to commit suicide are no longer thinking about it, but are actively moving towards suicide. It sounds like the people you spoke to are crying out for help.

The reasons for making the decision to commit suicide are varied, although skewed towards unpleasant human interactions (be KIND ffs), but there was always one constant fear in peoples decision. Failure.

The fear of failure was so pervasive that it was the one thing that would delay the CTB (Catch The Bus) date. You'd be surprised at the amount of planning and research that goes into the act to make sure it's 100% successful. It also didn't help that there is a ton of misinformation on the topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Those places were worse than prisons. Handy earner for the religious orders though.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

FFS this isn't the Christianity forum. That religious crap is responsible for more mental health damage than anything else.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement